on 3 April 2006
I was very impressed with this software as I had ideas for novels but just didn't seem to know where to start. The program helps you divide the novel writing into sections, allowing you to develop your characters, plan out all the important events and then finally write all the chapters. It's an excellent way of keeping track of the storyline and the characters without having to re-read what you have written several times.
The ability to generate names, characters and ideas is also particularly useful, although only if you are writing a contemporary novel as all the ideas and names are modern. The program does let you quite easily insert your own names and ideas though. For instance the Standard edition only comes with British and American names but you can quite easily get a list of French names and add a French name section to the program and paste the names in.
The notes section is also particularly useful for storing all of your research, the only downside is that you can't insert pictures or even link to them.
This program also helps put writing a novel into perspective, its no easy task by any means and is going to take a lot of time and hard work. Simply creating the characters, their relationships, the locations and the major events in the story can take a very long time and then you have to start writing the novel!
on 24 December 2009
I am always up for learning something new and I thought this software might help me with a work-in-porgress. It does some of what it says on the tin; what it doesn't say on the tin is that when you export your novel typescript. you cannot choose font or font size or any other type of formatting. You are stuck with Courier New pt 12. So if like me you buy this with some of your novel already written, you have to fiddle about with it so you can import the typescript into WYON, and then you end up having to fiddle with it again on export (I mean HOURS of fiddling, not minutes), as any of the formatting it does do is not consistent. Very disappointing and frustrating. One for beginners with no experience whatsoever of writing and/or publishing.
on 9 May 2005
I chose to purchase this standard version instead of the professional mainly because of the price, and i thought it would be a great place to start, i think it is for the price, i have many books on how to write a novel, how to create scenes, characters etc, so all i really wanted is a tidy software package to put all my ideas into, this standard version gives you chapter, notes, event etc sections to write down your ideas, relationship charts for characters, timeline chart to make sure you get the right order of events which is really benifical so you chose the year your story starts and finishes, time of day each scene starts and finishes, it has a generate names section, 25,000 first names and surnames. Each chapter you write is done separately, so you can work on chapter 5 first if you want to.
A great place to start.
on 4 January 2006
I bought this software because I wanted to try writing a novel and because it was cheap. I didn't expect much at the price but I've been pleasantly surprised.
I can now keep all my notes neatly organised. The editor is basic but it works well and doesn't distract me. I like how easily I can convert my story into a formatted manuscript. This is very simple. I also like the ideas generator - it's helped me a few times when I'm stuck.
on 3 April 2006
on 30 October 2014
Found it very basic, a little too basic for my liking. I do better with using my own method. Though for the price and someone new to writing might be a great asset.
on 13 March 2014
This is a great help to get you started and organise your work, especially if you have many ideas buzzing around for different areas of your work.
on 24 June 2016
Was good when your first starting out as a writer.
on 27 February 2013
As I have not yet reached the standard to write a novel cannot use this to full capacity, I write Poetry and am just starting on short stories which this is not suitable, will not part with it just incase I can get to thhe stage of novel writing.
on 23 November 2014