on 25 November 2012
This work may prove that harlequin-like and or self-published love stories need not be bad reads, guiltily consumed on the side of nobler books.

There are some issues, of course, beginning with the price which is far too high -I am pleased I got this as a freebie- and with the bookcover which is ghastly and entirely unrelated.
As Lordrose points out, there are some editing issues as well, especially in the second half, with typos and some incomprehensible sentences.

That said, this period M/M romance is pleasing enough. The plot dabbles probably unnecessarily with a little mystery to spice up its plot, but it is essentially romantic and fairly tight with a nice HEA.
The leads are aristocrats enjoying the niceties of life but this is part of the conventions of the genre and nobody is really complaining about that. Roles in bed are fixed, which is something that always disappoints me but luckily enough Sebastian is not girlish.

Things could have been even better.
There could have been many more pages allowing for a richer setting, for feelings to develop gradually -I would have loved to see Vernon and Sebastian deal clumsily with the niceties of the economic arrangement that put them together-, for the mystery to be solved with more of a flourish.
I would have loved to see the charactere act more and to assess them by their behaviour, not by the several musings by which they explain to the reader how they are feeling. That would have pushed the limits of the mere harlequin into the more gratifying realm of historic romance but so be it: within its limits this is a pleasing read.
on 11 April 2013
I really liked this story. I did get this book as free on Amazon and downloaded it, not quite knowing what to expect as this is not my normal reading gender. This love story, and it is a love story, started with a novel beginning of a young gentlemen, whose family have fallen on very hard times and clouded in scandal. He knows that he prefers men to women and decides to auction himself to the highest bidder to financially save his mother and sisters, he doesn't care what happens to himself! The outcome for him, is completely unexpected and he finds love, which between men in those times, is very dangerous. The story, though fairly short, has a beginning, a middle and a happy ending, just what I want in my romances. Recommended.
on 27 August 2014