Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2011
This book aided me from GCSE to A2, extremely useful, not only does it contain idiomatic phrases which there is no way of looking up in a dictionary, it has sections of field specific vocabulary which is really helpful, especially in AS and A2. I think it is a must-have if you are learning German as a foreign language. Good quality and good condition. However, compared with Palabra por Palabra, it lacks that extra bit (i.e.- phrases and vocab) that will have you stand out in an exam. But that might just be there are less of these phrases in the language. But very useful!!
on 30 November 2011
Amazing book, I couldn't do my A2 without it. The structure, by topic, is perfect for using to write essays and the vocab suggested helps you to write idiomatically and fluently. I showed this book to my teachers, who thought it was so good that they bought one for everyone in my class. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 20 January 2016
Lot of words in here which are just not used. Lacks example sentences. I would say clearly compiled by a non-native speaker.
on 23 February 2014
As I was considered to be gifted at German during my AS year, my teacher told me to buy this book as one of her upper sixth students use it and he praised it constantly, so I went ahead and bought it. I was amazed to which lengths of vocabulary it went to. It gives you phrases and great vocabulary. Personally I find the essay vocabulary and phrases are the reason I can write an essay in German almost as well as I can in English now. I have no faults in this book except sometimes the vocabulary has been put into a weird chapter but if you're learning it all for your exams you're bound to cover it anyway so it doesn't matter!
on 24 May 2007
This book helped me through my AS German and currently through my A2.

It gives helpful and useful little connective phrases, whole phrases and helps give a wider range of lexis, which is what the examiners want.

Great book.
on 30 November 2011
'Wort fur Wort' was the most useful book I could have ever wished for, it really aided me through my A-Level Course. In fact, I still use it to this day at University becasue it is so useful! It is organised into chapters which provide simple access to whatever you could possibly need to say. Very worthwhile, especially for the unbelievable price I found mine on Amazon for.

I will be awaiting Paul Stocker's next book which I think is coming out in 2012, entitled "A Student Grammar of German".

To sum up: great book, great price - don't acknowlege the bad reviews!
on 14 March 2010
This book is well constructed into different sections and provides useful sentences and phrases which can easily be manipulated into essays or long exam questions in order to show a bit of flair or creativity. Some of these phrases are useful for more than one topic, and the vocabulary is essential for some of the topics at AS/A2.
I would not say that this book stretches you in any way, although it is a good reminder for up and coming exams, and is quite easy to scan over and remind yourself of anything which may have slipped your mind.
on 3 July 2013
I feel that this book is ideal if you are level "B1" (intermediate) or above - it contains very useful phrases with each chapter split up into topics such as holidays, economy, transport, etc.

I found the sections at the end particularly useful as it does explain some interesting differences in verbs and their usage, i.e which version of 'change' you should use,for example change in just one verb in english but it German you have: ändern, verändern, wechseln, umschlagen, umsteigen depending on the sentence you are trying to construct. Choosing the correct verb is not always easy for a learner of German but this book does contain some examples to help you make the right decision and that is very useful.

I also feel as though the phrases/words in this book will really help your speech/writing to flow better as you will learn words that are used as 'fillers' or just things that make you sound more authentic, it will also help you understand the words when they are spoken to you! (always good)!

Really recommend this one.
on 3 July 2012
This is a MUST have for all A-level students. As a teacher of AS and A2 German I cannot recommend it highly enough. The book covers every topic at AS and A2 and gives advanced vocabulary for students to learn that is ideal for the exams as well as essay language and the language of argument.
on 23 February 2010
Arrived on time. Good vocabulary book. Easy to find words as they're all set out by subject matter, i.e. shopping, food, etc. It could be more extensive, but certainly suficient for beginner/intermediate.