on 26 February 2014
I didn't really get so much out of this book, althoughb I did soldier on thru. Some of the chapters held stuff I didn't know, but too many I already knew. It's great as an introduction to history, but if you know some already it's not as relevant
on 12 July 2013
With news now a global phenomenon, I chose this book to allow me to reference quickly and efficiently how current situations came to pass. It will also be useful for my kids in later years.
on 10 November 2013
Excellent book, all the facts about the events you had forgotten about. Have already ordered more in the series, look forward to more enjoyable reading.
on 5 November 2013
This is not a bad read at all, short and concise and the details are easy to take on board. Would I recommend it ? why not, especially at the price.
on 11 May 2013
One more addition to my collection of "50 things", this one holds very interesting information about events in history, putting them in context.
on 18 January 2015
I wanted something short and informative and this is exactly what I got. Great book, I have recommended this to friends.
on 14 June 2011
It's said commonly that the numerous "Histories of the World or the Mankind" ever published are really only Histories of the White, Christian, Western men. This book it's not exactly as that, but approaches in some sense.
The book is reasonably good between his limits, but this series of "50 facts about... everything" from Ed. Quercus has the problem that too much information has to be compressed into very few pages. Each chapter occupies exactly 4 pages.
Well, another people from another countries should have his point of view. I, as Spanish can say this is a History almost only for English speaking people, with some concessions to cultures of antiquity, Rome, Egypt, China and others.
We see an example of omission: in 1571 there was a crucial confrontation, with little doubt as important as D Day in II WW, the battle of Lepanto, when Spanish Army and fleet with an aid from the Vatican and Venetian Republic defeated the big menace of the Turks in Europe. This is reduced to a one or two minute mentions. It's only one example, but for me, as important than USA Civil War. So, you must judge if you are interested in such biased history.
on 20 August 2015
Interesting, although some non factual assumptions are made which are based upon the interpretation of others.
on 24 March 2014
Really like it and happy with it! Interesting book and a lot to learn from, I am happy to order again.
on 5 January 2013
Provides a good big picture of world history and fuels discussions points.

I bought this for my wife who is a very keen History buff and although she specialises in the English middle and early ages has provided additional points for discussion.