* the substances themselves
* theories relevant to substance use and misuse
* the skills necessary to work with this client group
* the broad range of approaches to treatment
* particular problems of specific groups.
The reader is encouraged to read and reflect on the material in relation to their own practice. To help this process, each topic has an identified set of learning objectives. Activities designed to reinforce learning include discussion points, case studies, role plays and group exercises.
Working with Substance Misusers makes clear the connection of theory to practice and encourages a skills-based, but reflective, approach to work in this complex field. Cutting across professional boundaries, it provides both new and more experienced practitioners with a key text.
About the Author
Trudi Petersen is a Nurse and a Research Practitioner for Pembrokeshire and Derwen NHS Trust Mental Health Services.