Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 December 2000
I gave this book to my granddaughter as a christening present - and not surprisingly, her mother wanted one too. The illustrations are beautiful in their delicacy and sense of fantasy; the stories are captivating and thought-provoking on both a child and adult level, never patronising, always interesting - and a great introduction to Greek mythology.A book to give lifelong pleasure to touch, look at and read.
on 8 August 2005
Here you have a joy ahead of you, this book casts a magic spell, Eustace Bright enthrals his young listeners with his story-telling, I will read this book again & again.
on 24 April 2010
Puts many more recent translations and adaptations of the Greek Myths to shame with the sheer quality of the writing. At times you can tell where stories have been 'softened' for the more careful times in which it was written, but that actually makes it even more evocative. Well worth buying!
on 28 February 2014
A lovely simple book to start anybody orf in the world of Greek mythology.
In essence it gives a variation on the standard 'myth take' which I'm sure Graves would have approved ; given his myths are at a more advanced level.
Given that the stories contain some truly unsettling themes (incest to despair notwithstanding infanticide) the magic and the skill of the writer manages to encapsulate a boys/girls own interest in the world of the mortals and gods, juxtaposed on/
in the living world under heaven (or should one say Olympus!)
on 27 August 2013
Coolest book I have ever read almost
I loved this book and is perfect for any age of a child considering I am nine years old.
on 16 January 2013
I love it if only l rate it Infinity 1 would rate remember it is also for boys and girls awesome book you know
on 10 December 2012
A really good read! Not finished it completely but so far so good. Billy Connolly's autobiography sidelined me and got me reading that instead
on 21 December 2014
never got around to reading it