on 3 March 2005
I love this book. It gives both the basics on how to breastfeed and also lots of more general parenting information. It also looks at the comman and not so comman problems and gives helpful and reassuring advice. Although quite American sometimes the basic mother baby relationship is the same the world over! I have referred to my copy at least once a week over the past 20 months of breastfeeding.
I would recommend it to everyone wanting to breastfeed or wanting to know more about breastfeeding
on 11 January 2006
I bought this book even though I am on my 3rd child!! Have breast fed both times before, but had to go back to work early both times, so didn't feed much beyond this and wanted to get some perspective on feeding beyond the first few months.
I would recommend this book whether you are on your first or subsequent child, as it really does have something for everyone. Would be a really nice present for a mum to be to help prepare for breast feeding too.
I found the bits on how breastfeeding works and how amazing breast milk is really fascinating and also very supportive, as I have had a few ambivalent comments and was able to say - "aha, but..."
on 18 July 2009
A good read but much of the book covers parenting rather than breastfeeding. The information is not easily accessible, a pertinent piece of information is buried in a paragraph of disorganized writing.

I was expecting a more text book approach, tables, diagrams and well presented information. This is not the book for that.

The book made me feel good about my decision to breastfeed but did not cover any of the main issues I have encountered so far in any depth (3 months). Many American books about parenting spend a lot of time talking about the return to work at 3 months, that is not the norm all over the world so the advise for that stage is of no use to me.

All the photos and diagrams are in black and white and some are extremely dated.
-------------------------------

After 1 year of breastfeeding I have a much better opinion of this book. It won't show you how to breastfeed, but thats not really something you can learn from a book, go to a meeting!!!. The book is now invaluable in our home for the great general advice about living with a breastfed baby!!!
on 15 January 2007
I like this book but if you read it in one go it will make you sick! It's too saccharin American and a bit too earth mother for me. That said, the questions I had on breastfeeding were answered in this book. Use it as a reference textbook and it's fantastic. Oh and bear in mind that whilst breastfeeding can be absolutely awful to begin with... those sickly sweet comments I was moaning about become true about 3 months down the line when you and your baby have got the hang of it. It really is worth perserving with. Buy this book, but more importantly find out where your local LLL group is and make contact with them when you are pregnant. Happy Breastfeeding!!
on 1 December 2008
I bought an earlier edition of this book in 1993 when nursing my first child. It is informative, interesting and supportive, the next best thing to having a La Leche League leader in my cupboard.
The book does not only give information on breastfeeding but many other aspects of parenting too. Ideally read it while you are pregnant and make contact with your local LLL group as early as you can. Hospital midwives do support breastfeeding but are always so busy, an LLL leader will make time for you and support you through the hard times, the core members of my group became like extended famiy to us.
on 21 May 2010
I found this book extremely helpful and informative. I have read it once so far in its entirety(I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant) and plan on reading some of the sections again before the big day and using it as a guide when the baby arrives. Some other reviewers noted that it contains a lot of 'general' parenting advice but I think that this aspect is important as bf is not just a method of feeding but also a lifestyle choice or method of parenting. Would highly recommend it to anyone considering bf.
on 17 May 2010
I used to read this by torch light during night feeds. It is quite simply the most comprehensive book on breastfeeding I have read, covering everything from early days, through any problems that might occur, to eventual weaning. Backed up by thorough research, the information can be trusted and is routed in the fact that 99% of women can breastfeed if they want to and get the right help if they need it. Can't praise highly enough.
on 9 May 2011
I purchased a copy of this book 35 years ago when I needed information on the best way to feed my new born child. The advice given then is of course just as relevant today and having fed both my babies successfully following the excellent book sent a copy to my niece so that she too would find feeding her new baby a complete joy. A must if you really want to feed your baby naturally.
on 16 September 2011
fantastic book for any breastfeeding parent, or supportive partner. practical and informative if a bit preachy :-) Good to dip into and out of throughout your breastfeeding relationship with your child. I wholeheartedly reccomend reading this book while feeding your newborn to help you stay committed to feeding your child the best way.
on 26 April 2016
Amazing book thought me so much I did not know ! But when it came down to it I forgot everything i read in this book and still had some trouble breast feeding !!! But I tackled it and kept reading it when needed