on 25 January 2014
I've always regarded "Wish You Were Here" as one of the greatest British films ever made. I've watched it many times on DVD. Like "Four Weddings and a Funeral" it's one of those British films you never grow tired of. After its release in the 1980s, it seemed that Emily Lloyd's extraordinary talent had destined her for a permanent place in the hall of fame. What we did not know at the time was that we were witnessing the beginnings of an archetypal tragedy: observing the start of a public career that would eventually run into the sand and privately end in a nightmare. Emily Lloyd's account of the intense pressure of the movie business and her descent into hell is absolutely compelling. Yet it always avoids the trap of being self-pitying. Indeed, it is told in a way that suggests that despite her enormous disappointments she has not lost her humanity and her great sense of humour. I have never been so touched by a personal memoir. All the best for the future, Emily. I hope you get back to where you belong soon, which is entertaining us with your unique talent. Highly recommended.
on 12 May 2013
This is a searingly honest story about Emily's rise to fame at a young age and the repercussions this has had on her life. Thrust into the spotlight with 'Wish You Were Here', she was one of the most well-liked actresses of my generation and I always wondered what had become of her. This books tells her story. It is entertaining yet also sensitively written and at times her story does makes uncomfortable reading. But Emily is an inspiration to others for being so honest about the abuse she suffered as a child. She should also be applauded for bravely putting herself into the spotlight to talk about mental health and the challenges she has faced. Mental health is not something openly discussed, particularly in the fickle entertainment industry, and so I really admire her for having the balls to write openly about it. Hopefully steps like this will help break down the taboo surrounding it.
I would definitely recommend this. It's a great read. It's just a shame that she's no longer acting. The younger generation could learn a lot from her. I hope she gets the recognition she deserves for being so honest.
on 5 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the film wish you were here and know that Emily has struggled since so was keen to find out what has happened in her life. She is very honest and shows great incite into her mental illness.
on 18 April 2014
Very interesting book. Very honest and sad in many ways, hope Emily gets back to acting and enjoys the rewards this time round.
on 23 March 2014
I wondered what had happened to Emily. Easy to read and full of little bits n pieces that should only be shared by the author of an autobiography.
on 26 April 2014
Always wondered what had happened to Emily, great book, would recommend this to everyone. What an eventful life, Emily is a survivor!
on 13 April 2014
I have seen the film and it was very interesting getting to know Emily and how difficult it is to survive in that industry
on 21 August 2013
I had never heard of Emily Lloyd. This may seem unusual in today's celebrity focused media-driven world, but at the time of her great fame I was a regular British teenager in the 80s (no internet, no video machine, only went to the cinema on special occasions....etc)
I bought this kindle book because it had a catchy title....I thought it interesting to read about the downfall of somebody who claimed to have been a golden girl of British cinema (albeit that I am no cinema buff) ....but I am a nosey parker. I ordered the free sample and it started as a catchy read so I bought the book. I'm very glad that I did.
I found it a really interesting read. It helped that the author is a similar age to myself and grew up in East London, an area I am familiar with. The author exploded to fame / stardom at just 16 in the 1980s. She clearly hadn't been grounded for this. All her dreams came true in terms of lifestyle, money, celebrity status but she reveals how it wasn't working out for her. She goes on to describe her crazy, undisciplined, star-studded lifestyle and how this left her feeling empty and actually accentuated mental health issues that had been underlying since she was a child.
Most interesting though is her story of how she has adjusted her lifestyle to continue living with her malaise, as she calls it. The lady has shown tremendous strength of character and continued to do some work to help others, including children. Emily Lloyd, has a strong family around her and she clearly draws so much strength and support from them.
I wasn't particularly endeared to Emily Lloyd "the star" but I thought the older, mature, regular Londoner who is working to be a better person on a daily basis sounds like a great person.
She writes that she wishes to act again. As I have never seen any of her work, I do not appreciate the loss to British cinema but I strongly that the lady finds peace, health and happiness whatever she chooses to do. Thank you for sharing your story, Emily Lloyd.
on 30 July 2014
Always loved this girl, didnt know anything about her troubles? its a shame we dont see her on the screen anymore.
My girls dug out the film "Wish you were here" (they are over 18) after I was talking about the book and Emily and they loved it, will never date.
Come back Emily Lloyd x
on 10 March 2014
Well done Emily.....Emily is very truthful in her description of mental illness
She is also very brave....it is very hard to admit that you have a mental illness
Like she said there is still a stigma...
I wish Emily the best of luck in her future.. well done..it takes a lot of guts!!