"The author is focused on his topic, precise in his use of words, and balanced in his approach. Advantages to the text's approach include the author's ability to: a) explain complex concepts clearly and concisely, b) present detailed information succinctly, and c) use figures and tables to further explain difficult concepts." — Anne M. Cox, Austin Community College
From the Back Cover
Best-selling author, William Stallings, gives an up-to-date coverage of both wireless communications and wireless networks with new expanded coverage of Wi-Fi and WiMax. Designed for students and professionals, this text explores the key networking topics with a unique approach covering: technology and architecture, network design approaches, and types of networks and applications. DISTINGUISHING KEY FEATURES
- Provides an entire chapter on spread spectrum, which is pervasive in wireless technology today.
- Also provides an entire chapter on satellite communications. This topic remains an important area within wireless communications.
- Thorough coverage of cordless systems. This is an interesting and important new area that extends the traditional cordless telephone technology over greater distances and for greater numbers of users.
- Extensive coverage of fixed wireless access, also known as wireless local loop, and IEEE 802.16 standards. This has become a very important area for bringing high-speed access to subscribers in place of land lines.
- Devotes a whole chapter on Mobile IP Wireless Application Protocol (WAP). Wireless Internet and Web access are driving forces in the evolution of wireless technology and are a must have.
- Complete coverage of Wireless LANs, including IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth. This is a broad and important area, and the book devotes three chapters to this realm.