Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 12 June 2015
Excellent product. The camera fitted easily into our bird box and the wireless signal came through the wall very well. We watched put bluetit family build their nest, hatch nine eggs and fledge. Fantastic for the kids to watch and the best type of reality tv!
review image
11 comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present for my mum and for the money I'm pretty impressed.

I looked at a few other cameras before buying and the lens on this one is a much wider angle than any of the others I found. This is important because the wider the angle the more you can see, and when mounting in a bird box the camera is going to be pretty close to the action so you need a wide field of view to see the whole box instead of just the bit in the middle.

The camera has a small mounting bracket so you can screw it to the box (screw not supplied). I saw some boxes on Amazon which were marketed as being designed for cameras (with a perspex window to let light in and a clip for the camera) but were in the £30-£35 price range. I didn't think they were worth it so I just bought a normal £6 one and I stand by my decision.

The camera has little IR LEDs which illuminate the box without disturbing the birds. I can see inside the box perfectly day or night even without having a perspex window to allow extra light in and the mounting bracket on the camera means there is no benefit in having one fitted to a box anyway. I recommend getting a box wth a hinged lid though as it makes installation easy.

The power cable supplied is too short for anything more than hanging the box outside your window, if you plan to put it in a tree in the garden you will need to buy an extension cable as well.

Set up is simple, connect the receiver to your TV using the composite cables supplied (yellow and white phono plugs) and switch on the camera. The camera focus is adjustable so it's best to set it up in the box while in front of the TV so you can get the focus and camera angle right before you hang the box in the garden.

My only word of warning is that you need to remember the quoted range of 50 metres is the maximum range under ideal conditions. My box is approx 15 metres from the house in the back garden and while it works fine connected to a TV in the back of the house I cannot get a picture if I try on a TV in the front.

Overall very happy with the product, would buy again.
11 comment49 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2013
Gift was for my dad, he loves it - Really good, and clear picture quality, could see the birds in the box within a couple of hours. He has even managed to connect it to see the birds on his phone somehow :)
33 comments44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 April 2015
I bought this camera and a nest box to fit it in as a birthday present for my mum.

Having read some of the other reviews, I was a little concerned that set up would be tricky and my elderly mum would have problems finding the output on her telly, but it all turned out to be very easy.

The supplied cable was more than long enough for the location that we chose, but in reality, I can understand why this could be too short for many (most?) people. We placed the nest box no more than 2.5 meters from a plug socket, but by the time the cable was routed along walls, round a door and down to the floor, we used up almost all the cable.

Set up couldn't be easier. Once we plugged the camera and the receiver into their respective power supplies, and we switched the receiver to the same band (number written on camera), we turned the television on and there was the picture! To watch the telly, my mum only has to turn on her Sky box. To watch the bird box, just turn the telly on and leave Sky switched off. The image quality is not going to win any awards, but is more than good enough for watching nesting birds. Focusing is interesting and should be done with the camera in the box next to the television before you put it in place. This enables you to see adjust the focus by twisting the lens and seeing the result in front of you. I am a little concerned that we may have to adjust the focus again later, as currently it is focused on the bottom of the bird box, but once a bird has added nest material and is itself sitting on the nest, the camera may no longer be focused at the right place. Time will tell as we are still waiting for a bird to move in.
on 14 January 2014
Brilliant quality picture and so easy to set up. My only complaint is that the lead from the camera to the socket is far too short; an extension is required even to reach a socket directly beneath the box, which makes weatherproofing quite difficult.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2013
Opened on Xmas day & connected to tv to make sure it all worked. Very easy to set up. Had it up & running in minutes. Really clear images on screen. Easy to zoom to adjust to get the perfect picture. Putting it in the bird box over this week. Great item..
22 comments17 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
Based on our experience I would say do not buy if you want to connect this to a computer rather than a TV. We're using this in conjunction with the same company's recommended USB Video Capture Device in order to view and record on PC rather than view on TV. The bird box camera itself is fine, but the WiFi receiver is hopelessly sensitive to other WiFi devices in the vicinity as it operates on 2.4Ghz like the majority of WiFi routers. This renders the receiver useless unless you switch off your router. The WiFi range is also very poor - even from 20m away, with a direct line of vision to the bird box and only a double glazed window to pass through, the picture jumps. Changing the channels as suggested does not help. For us this has been a total waste of money - especially as we bought an extra camera and the USB connector. Maybe it works okay if you're nowhere near a router and just connecting to a TV as other people here seem to have done but it is not suitable for connecting to a normal home computer network with WiFi or for transmitting over anything other than very short distances. Attached video shows 10 secs before and 10 secs after switching the PC Internet WiFi router back on.
33 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2015
This is a really good little camera system that has worked well for us.
Setting it up and fitting was fairly straight forward and easy.
The pictures have been clear and it hasn't bothered the birds one bit, who are compelling to watch!
on 15 January 2015
Despite only siting the box approx 25 feet from the receiver, and with only one wall in the way, it is almost impossible to get any sort of picture. Useless bit of kit, I should have heeded the previous comments. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
on 5 July 2014
Camera is in line of sight of receiver through a double glazed window. Reception is really good with no interference. Just hope the blue tits like it too !!!