Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2009
Loved it. England in the early 50s perhaps, the idyllic village life of the countryside. Tea parties - gossip, the village school, romance with an oh so gentle rhythm. This is a feel good book with nothing scary or edgy at all. If you ever saw the Hovis ads on TV then you know what this is like - a trip down memory lane or even just a rosy fantasy memory of the past.
on 4 May 2010
I have enjoyed dipping in and out of the Miss Read books over recent years and decided to start from the beginning and follow the stories forward. Not only are you reading of very beleiveable characters, but the changes in our general lives are recorded and you don't even realise its like a history lesson. Any modern day teacher could benefit from reading these books if only to see how school life has changed in the last fifty years. And town and country life could not have been more different, if must have been difficult for some to manage financial but the benefits of country life, plenty of the outdoors certainly made up for this. I am enjoying the books a great deal.
on 27 January 2013
The book is a nice easy story about village life simple, easy going no swearing which is a pleasant to read, I live the stories.
on 16 June 2012
I have read all of the Thrush Green and Fairacre books and envy anyone who has not for the pleasures they have in store for them. As a teacher, I read the Fairacre books to reaffirm what teaching is all about - children, and what is important to them - and not politics! This book introduces you to characters that you will grow to know and love. The picture of village life and the joys of living in the countryside are described with sensitivity, humour and wisdom but never with sentimentality. I think the other reviewer was disappointed in the product and not the content of this story so don't let it put you off. Once you've read this one you will want to read them all.
on 1 December 2012
I love Miss Read's writing which one hardly notices as one reads. Her novels remind me of my country childhood and her observations of village life are so accurate that they make me laugh. I think I know the original people on which she bases her characters - do all villages have these stereotypes - hers are in the Cotswolds, mine are in Norfolk.
This series is a must for people who live in the country or anyone thinking of moving to it. Great, easy reads.
on 6 January 2016
Read all of this series of books a long time ago, they are just as good this time, as they were the first time round. Very good light read, that you can pick up and put down, without loosing the thread of the story. Love them.
on 2 March 2016
Another Miss Read treasure! I loved this book, actually I love all her books, tales of country life, no sex, no murders just pure pleasantness from beginning to end.
on 2 March 2016
on 17 April 2012
I cannot comment really on this purchase as it was for a family member and sent directly to their address. I have not seen the product.
on 28 December 2014
Beautiful as always. Miss Read takes you a time when things were so much simpler, and everyone appeared so much more innocent. Worth reading to lose yourself away from the hectic life that we all seem to currently lead. Beautiful.