Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 September 2001
As an old dog trying to learn new tricks - I didn't start wrestling until I was 30 - I found this book invaluable.
Most coaching books - especially wrestling ones - suffer from the problem of poor quality photography. But here the pics are well-chosen and clear and the text goes straight to the point. And the sheer comprehensiveness of it means you keep returing to it again and again.
on 22 July 1999
I was a 3 time city champ wrestler so I know a plenty about this great sport. I remember reading this book in my sophomore year as I signed up for the wrestling team in my H.S. after they decided to bring the sport back after a one year absence. Everything that the coach thought we weren't ready for the book helped me cover it. I won rookie of the year, city champ and made co-captain as a sophomore The book gave me an edge over several of my team mates (Except the seniors who wrestled in the previous teams.) I'm not saying that the book taught me and made me an outstanding and super wrestler, my coach helped me improve my techniques. I recommend that if you recently joined a wrestling team and have no knowledge other than a couple of moves, buy this book. However, don't let anyone know you're reading it. Surprise everyone by pulling a move during practice and you'll probably make co-captain too.
on 25 January 1999
This is an excellent tool for wrestlers and coaches. The focus is to teach wrestling moves that will fine tune or add to your current wrestling skill level. It is an excellent book for both beginner and experienced wrestlers. It is probably the best book for pure skill improvement in the market. That may not be saying much, as there are not a flood of wrestling skill books out there. In future editions the writers could add pictures from other angles with corresponding descriptions. As it is, you can "get there from here" with this book and some patience. This book does not spend time covering motivation or historical topics which for many should be considered a plus. I would reccomend supplimenting this book with video tapes, like the Ken Chertow series or other olympic/college champion video tapes covering wrestling skills.
Winning Wrestling moves is an excellent book which covers a myriad of techniques for the freestyle wrestler and is both detailed and in-depth.

There are perhaps only two criticisms I could make, the first being that the black and white photography used makes the advise a little harder to follow than that seen in full colour volumes.

Secondly it should be noted that this book is not really appropriate for those looking for wrestling-to-MMA techniques. Whilst many of the techniques within this book would be found in the repetoir of the MMA fighter they are interspaced between the many techniques found in freestyle wrestling that do not translate to and are inappropriate for full contact fighting.

If you looking for a wrestling-to-MMA instructional manual then there are better options out there such as Coutures 'Wrestling for Fighting' or Lindlans 'Dirty Boxing', but for freestyle, catch and collegiate wrestlers there are few better books than this.
on 14 February 2006
I purchased this book in tandem with Greco-Roman Wrestling by William A. Martell, and I can't decide which I like better. They are both good.
Winning Wrestling Moves is well written, thorough, and easy to understand. As a mere spectator/admirer of the sport of wrestling, I am pleased with the photos and detail in this book, which help me to understand exactly what I am watching.
Though "Winning" is stressed in this book, the flavor/tone of the author's words also emphasize the love for the sport, competing against one's self to achieve success, and sportsmanship, which is admirable and impressive, since there must naturally be a winner and a loser - both of which are honorable. Also impressive is the fact that this book does not seem to be about shortcuts, just hard work and great technique.
This book has wonderful descriptions with good flow, and though it is technical, it was easy for a non-wrestler to understand. I recommend it for everyone interested in this great sport, not just athletes and coaches. <
on 24 August 1999
I've bought this book, this book is very descriptive every movement, every drill you need is here, with thousand of photographies I was a very limited wrestler, but now with this book I've improved, even people limited or not technically will found new useful stuff, incredible movements, but don't expect miracles, as one of the hardest sports, this implies praactice, practice and practice. If you need some help this book is definetely the "coach" you needed. I recomend this book, is as far as I've seen one of the best books I've ever seen, in wrestling of course. If you are like me, limited technically, this book will get you the result, but as I said before, DO NOT EXPECT MIRACLES.
on 21 April 1998
This book is an invaluable aid to coaches and wrestlers alike. The moves are easy to follow, allowing wrestlers to pick out and practice new ones. Most moves are shown with a number of variations; coaches can emphasize one or as many as desired. All in all, a great reference with good detail covering a wide variety of moves. One of the best I've seen yet!
on 2 April 1999
I have been wrestling in high school for 2 years now and this book has helped to introduce me to a lot more moves. I now have a much bigger portfolio of moves and I know how to defend against almost anything in part because of reading this book.
on 16 February 1999
This book briefly reviews hundreds of basic to advanced moves by showing a few picures of each critical step in conjunction with a brief discription. For the most part, it assumes the reader is at an intermediate to advanced level although some basics are reviewed at the beginning of the book. The book is very comprehensive for reviewing takedowns and takedown counters and less so for riding and bottom moves. A few basic freestyle moves are also covered. I gave the book 5 stars due to the fact that its the most comprehensive wrestling book I've been able to find and the book I most refer to when encouraging my 8 year old son to add more moves to his portfolio.
on 11 July 1998
A very good book with lots of technical information described in easy to understand text. Wrestling vocabulary is necessary to follow some of the descriptions, but the photos are very helpful. Easy to follow, well organized and categorized, you can work on something with the entire team or locate and address a specific individual wrestler's needs. This book helped my son transform from a "headhunter" to a New England Classic Champion. My personal favorite.