Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 24 October 2013
There were very few books in my childhood, due to war, post-war and poverty, and the Pooh wasn't one of them. So I have decided to read it at 77 and enjoyed it as if I were ten. So there.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2009
YOu can never go wrong with Winnie-the-Pooh. A. A. Milne's stories about these woodland dwelling toys are a delight! No matter your age, there is enjoyment for everyone in these witty, intelligent and touching tales. I defy anyone to dislike these timeless joyful yarns.
Amazon have a habit of adding reviews from one format into another, this review is for the Kindle version, I have no control as to which format this review appears under. So disregard if viewing anything other than the Kindle version.

I don't understand why I managed to get this for free as a classic book, and now Amazon are selling it for nearly 4 GBP. It may be worth waiting and see if it drops back into the free classics.

The text alignment is good, no split paragraphs as I have seen in other e-book scans. I did notice some spelling mistakes and odd characters in place of punctuation marks, but a later re-download seems to have corrected most, if not all of these flaws.

This is a timeless classic book of Winnie-the-pooh and friends that can be read to children time and time again. I had it read to me as a child, I have read it to mine and one day I hope to be reading this to my grandchildren. There is a innocent comical edge to this book which explores the relationships and adventures between some of the most famous characters from our earliest days.

I let my children watch the Disney film before I read this to them. It helped them visualise the characters and hear their voices which greatly helped me as I am no storyteller!

A beautiful book that children (and some adults) will always love.
on 22 July 2012
Winnie-the-Pooh is certainly a children's classic and also a classic in the sense that it transcends age.

I'm 41 and have just finished this joy of a book!

Lovable, brainless Pooh. Cute, timid Piglet. Philosophical, depressed Eeyore. Bossy, organised Rabbit. Talkative, intelligent Owl. Motherly, caring Kanga. Carefree, fun Roo. All under the wing of Christopher Robin with the classic illustrations by E.H. Shepard.

To be informative, the ten chapters tell the tale of how Pooh pursues some honey, how he gets stuck in Rabbit's house, how he and Piglet hunt a Woozle, how Eeyore's loses his tail, how Piglet and Pooh hunt a Heffalump, Eeyore's birthday, Kanga and Roo's arrival, an exhibition to the North Pole, how Piglet gets trapped by a flood and a Pooh party.

Just delightful and incredibly witty at times!
on 8 January 2015
A timeless classic. A child and his toys brought to life in a collection of, humerous, gentle, endearing stories. It was read to me when I was a child and I have purchased this copy for a nephew. I wanted original illustrations, not the garish Disney cartoons. I have also revisited it as an adult and now I know why my uncle used to burst into fits of giggles when he was reading it to me! Everyone should own a copy.
Good quality hardback which I like to think will still be fit to live on a bookshelf when the recipient is a young adult.
on 13 March 2016
What's there to say about good ol' Winnie that hasn't already been said? It's a classic book that's perfect for children and adults. Winnie-the-pooh is poignant, beautiful and timeless. The story it weaves about the adventures of Pooh is one that everyone should experience at least once. All this is only made better by the lovely drawings that help weave the story as it forms in your imagination.

There is an innocence to Winnie-the-Pooh that is almost altogether lost in the modern day and harkens back to our collective childhoods where we dream of halcyon days and dream of adventures with our friends.

This is all bolstered by the fantastic quality of the book itself (i.e the paper quality). Seriously, just buy this already!
on 13 May 2001
This quartet of books is perhaps the finest collection of stories ever written. A delight for children of all ages and any adult with a childlike mind. The many chapters of Pooh and his friends are beautifully written and amusing. The illustrations are rich in colour and the whole quality of the book is first rate. Every household should own the Complete Works of Winnie the Pooh and this should be the collection for you. Beautiful hard cover books well stored in this delightful box set.
on 22 December 2015
I'm sure I must have read Winnie-the-Pooh before as I remember all the characters and had a very strong memory of Pooh trying to trick the bees into thinking it was raining so he could steal their honey, but otherwise I couldn't remember any specific events. I don't know whose copy I ever read but I don't think it was mine, or I would still have it!

Anyway, I'm so glad I got this cheap on the Kindle as it was lovely to read again after many years. As I read, some of the stories were a little familiar so it did feel nicely nostalgic. The writing style is so adorable and it does have clever little jokes or references in for the adults too.

And really, who doesn't love Winnie the Pooh?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 September 2014
I'm trying to get across to my children that the Disney Channel has a lot of adaptations of much older stories. This led me to reading "Winnie-The-Pooh" out loud to my seven-year-old at bedtime, in instalments. It's the first time I've read it cover-to-cover as well.

Written in the 1920s, "Winnie-The-Pooh" stars Christopher Robin (aged around six) who lives in the Hundred-Acre-Wood with a collection of animals including Pooh the bear, Piglet, Owl, Rabbit, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo. (Tigger doesn't appear until the next book.) There are no grown-ups, and Christopher Robin is the de facto leader and source of wisdom, though it is primarily the animals who have the adventures. They get caught in snowstorms, float up to bees on balloons, escape floods, and have parties. All very gentle, in an Arcadian forest setting.

Like Dr Suess though, A.A. Milne has a fantastic grasp of language and works spectacularly well when read out loud. (He was also a playwright.) Almost instantly, I was putting on voices for all the different characters (I especially like my Eeyore voice), and there are bits of poems scattered throughout which bounce off the tongue.

My daughter was delighted to find out that Christopher Robin was actually the author's son, and the animals are based on his real toys, which can still be seen in a museum in New York. She is also envious of Christopher Robin's carefree life in the forest. There are illustrations throughout, so though the humour was a bit indirect at times, the pictures helped point it out.

Reading level of 8+ years, for children reading it to themselves, but like "Alice In Wonderland", there's a deeper psychological layer there for the grown-ups.
on 1 November 2011
I loaded this on my iPod having originally seen it free in a newspaper. In the nicest possible way, I use it to help me get back to sleep if I wake up stressed in the middle of the night (I'm 41!). I imagine it takes me back to my childhood days but Cribbins' voice is so soothing and the mental images so wonderful and amusing that I invariably fall back to sleep before the end of Chapter 3 :-)

I don't think I have ever got to the end of the CD and I hope I never do...

If you are buying it for your kids I'm sure it will have a similar effect at bedtime, but don't be afraid to have a listen yourself if anxieties are keeping you awake at night.