Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Oct 2012 22:38:55 GMT
Holcombe says:
I upgraded from Win 7 and everything seems to be functioning correctly except, Win Media Player tells me that my "disc is empty" when I try to play a movie or video. It recognises that the disc is there but "empty".
Plays music etc. stored on my hard drive, no problem. Any ideas?
Also, I no longer have Win Media Centre for watching live TV through my built in Freeview tuner.
Help !!

Posted on 31 Oct 2012 23:08:52 GMT
govanhill says:
you can get a free upgrade for win media centre at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

it might take a while for you to receive the product key though, mine took 12 hours to come.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2012 23:27:03 GMT
Holcombe says:
Hi. Thanks very much. I've just done that and been promised a product key within 24 hours. Much obliged.
I've just noticed in one of the reviews that Win Media player (dvd player) is disabled in win 8 and you have to buy an upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 10:20:05 GMT
Fishman says:
Don't bother with WMP. Download VLC Player, it's free, gets regular updates and plays every format you can throw at it.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 19:29:27 GMT
I agree VLC is very good, BUT you can't use it to play DRM coded WMV files (as downloaded from iPlayer website).

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 20:52:16 GMT
Holcombe says:
HI, I tried to download VLC Player but my Norton 360 classifies the download exe. file as malicious and won't let it download. Any suggestions?

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 22:55:18 GMT
Taron Ramsay says:
Norton first off isnt a very good anti virus, they are very expensive and they also allow anything through if a person pays them enough, several key loggers are already allowed through norton. Microsoft security essentials will protect you better and its FREE from microsoft, that would be your best option.
Yours truly
Windows 8 dev and skype for windows 8 dev

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 23:53:37 GMT
Holcombe says:
Taron
With respect, I think you are motivated more by your heart than your head. I have been using Norton ever since Dr. Solomon antivirus was taken over by McAfee and I have never had a single problem with them. Expensive, probably, but you get what you pay for. While I don't profess to be an 'expert', I have been using Pc's since the days of Windows 3.1 and I know what I like.
I'm always prepared to ask for help when necessary but the bland statement from you about Norton, in my opinion, is both mistaken and probably verging on libel.
regards

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 09:57:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2012 18:37:52 GMT
Ummmmm, I maybe wrong but I thought Microsoft Security Essentials is obsolete in W8? It certainly got removed when I upgraded.

I'm not running any third party AV leech. I'm happy to let Microsoft handle my PC security as they did well with Security Essentials. Sure, this leaves this machine susceptible to any saddo who chooses to target Microsoft security but that always been the case for any other AV package. Backup management is better protection IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 12:22:30 GMT
Fishman says:
For Windows 8, Microsoft Security Essentials got rolled into Windows Defender. If you are running Windows Defender on Windows 8 then you already have anti-virus software running!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 12:24:19 GMT
Fishman says:
Did you download it from here?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

If so, then Norton is rubbish as this is a perfectly legitimate application!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 14:55:47 GMT
Which isn't a 3rd party - that's my point

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 23:02:21 GMT
Holcombe says:
Fishman,
Thank you. I just followed the link you provided and everything worked perfectly.
"Rubbish" Norton accepted it immediately as 'safe' and 'stable'.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  31 Oct 2012
Latest post:  2 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows 8)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (919)