Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Oct 2012 18:13:33 BDT
JAPOTTS says:
I can see two versions of Windows 8 Pro on Amazon. However one is £50 and the other is £190. What is the difference between them both that makes the other more expensive?

Posted on 13 Oct 2012 00:15:30 BDT
James Darley says:
The version of Windows 8 Pro marked up at £190 is the N version. The N versions were released due to the antitrust case raised against Microsoft by the EU in the mid 2000s[1].

N versions of Windows are sold without a bundled copy of Windows Media Player[2] - beyond that they are exactly the same as the regular version.

[1] http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/windows-7-n-the-n-editions-explained-49303415/
[2] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/What-is-Windows-7-N-edition

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 03:06:07 BDT
These links refer to Windows 7 N-versions.

Does the same apply to Windows 8 ? Seems strange there is such a difference in price,
and apparantly the non-boxed "download versions" are to cost in the region of £25 according to this link:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/windows-8-upgrades-and-first-hardware-up-for-order-today-50009464/

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 11:20:50 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 13 Oct 2012 11:22:23 BDT]

Posted on 14 Oct 2012 15:20:24 BDT
pcd says:
O.K I'm confused .
In all other releases of Win there were two basic forms . The 'full' version and the 'upgrade'.
There would appear to be only upgrade versions of Win8 .
Am I right in believing that when I build a new system it will involve reloading Win 7 first and then loading win 8. I'd much rather do the job once with a full version of win 8.

Posted on 14 Oct 2012 18:02:05 BDT
I have had a look at what's available to preview in the first couple of chapters in this book thanks to the "Look Inside" facility

Windows 8 Secrets

It seems there will be "Windows 8" and "Windows 8 PRO" with both these being 'upgradeable' to from what is apparantly an "in place" upgrade within Windows 7
(I recall it says that to go to Windows 8 PRO, this needs to be from Window 7 PRO or Wndows 7 Ultimate).

As far as my current perception goes, it may be that only the 'upgrade' packages are being advertised at the moment, preceding the availabilty
of more pricing detail of the full instalation packages, so I would suggest probably we will be hearing more about the full version packages soon.

Posted on 15 Oct 2012 12:31:13 BDT
You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 20:55:22 BDT
The £50 version is an upgrade version for your windows XP, vista or 7 computer. Disregard the £190 version. Both versions should be the same price but for some reason amazon charges a ridiculous price for the European version without windows media player.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012 00:27:00 BDT
James Darley says:
Wikipedia has a good page outlining the licensing for each version[1] of Windows 7, it's surprisingly convoluted.

The main 3 license options that were available to the home user for Windows 7 were:

OEM - to be installed on a new machine, the license is non transferable
Upgrade - to upgrade an existing Windows installation/license
Full - to install from scratch, the license is transferable to new machines

For Windows 8, it appears that Microsoft are only offering Upgrade and OEM options[2].

If you were to build a new system you could use the OEM version. It will allow you to install from fresh, but the license will tie it to your hardware and you will not be able to legally transfer it to a another machine in future. OEM is more expensive than the Upgrade version, however you don't need an existing Windows installation/license to upgrade from.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart
[2] http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/microsoft/windows8

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 11:03:43 BDT
M Jones says:
Right, let me break this down for you.

Windows RT- Tablet version made for ARM processors. Will only run preinstalled on certain tablets. Not backwards compatible with existing Windows programs or hardware.
Windows 8- Raw version of the OS. Only available preinstalled on certain systems.
Windows 8 Pro- The same but with increased networking features. Available on Oct 26 for £50 boxed or £25 download. Can only be used to upgrade from Windows XP/Vista/7.
Windows 8 Pro N- The same as Windows 8 Pro but without a media player due to some legal requirement. £190 via Amazon.
Windows 8 Pro Standard Edition to Windows 8 Pro- Upgrades Windows 8 (preinstalled version) to Windows 8 Pro.

So, at this time you can only upgrade from post 2000 versions of Windows to Windows 8 and to preorder, it will cost you £50 or if you buy a download on the day, £25. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 13:42:15 BDT
Morgs says:
Is Windows 8 Pro a 64 bit version?

Posted on 20 Oct 2012 04:59:45 BDT
R.M says:
Both 32bit and 64bit are included, but you can only install one.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2013 13:07:23 GMT
Barry says:
Currently I have Win 7 Pro 32 bit which I installed out of choice because I only had 4 GB Ram. Now I want to move to Windows 8 Pro and upgrade to 8 GB RAM. Question Will Windows 8 Pro allow upgrade to 64 bit or do I first have to reinstall fresh Win 7 Pro 64 bit before Windows 8 Pro upgrade?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 14:20:48 GMT
Stu Mitch says:
My understanding is you can do this. You'll have to buy the boxed version from Amazon (or another retailer) and use the supplied 64 bit disc on the install. You cannot do this via Microsoft store as I did. I upgraded Win XP Pro to Win 8 Pro but am stuck with 32bit and the associated RAM limitation. Also the cheap "Upgrade" offer expires on 31/1/13

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013 11:15:08 GMT
Barry says:
Stu thanks for that clarification. I also tried out the Microsoft Download and found that it checked the suitability of my PC for Win 8 before offering me the download so I suspected that it would only download the 32 bit version to upgrade the existing 32 bit Win 7. It seems I either quickly install Win 7 as 64 bit and upgrade to Win 8 before before Feb 1st or buy the more expensive Disc package with both 32 and 64 bit DVD's.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 15:50:47 GMT
Stu Mitch says:
That's it. Sorry I wasn't really clear. Upgrades via Windows Store will be on an equivalent basis to the already installed OS. 32bit for 32bit, 64bit for 64 bit but you can get round this buy buying packaged version and install the 64bit version over a 32 bit install or using the method you described.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 18:07:56 GMT
Barry says:
Thanks Stu that's fine. No chance that you can download both 32 and 64 bit though to upgrade a later time given the way the check and download opereates.

A disk it is then.

Thanks again

Barry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  12 Oct 2012
Latest post:  25 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (PC)
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows 8)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (956)