Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 25 September 2000
This book haunted me from page 1, and is still haunting me now that I've read it. I started reading this book when I was jet-lagged after returning from a trip in Japan; and reading it did not help at all. I was completely gripped. I ended up reading chunks of it in the middle of the night, and living in a state of detached sleepwalking during the day. Thank God I've finished it and managed to have some real sleep.
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is about an "I" who is quite similar to the other "I"'s of Murakami's novels: the narrator, Okada, describes himself as completely normal, feels that he is somewhat a failure in life, feels detached and alienated, is well cultured especially in literature and music, knows the names of the Karamazov brothers and uses swimming and ironing as an anti-stress therapy. Not feeling very happy with his life, he quits his job for a break and to think about his next move. At around the same time his cat disappears, he meets a bored neighbour in her mid-teens, and his wife starts arriving later and later everyday from work. Okada's life becomes mundane: looking for his cat, listening to music, reading history books, shopping, cooking and eating at odd hours, chatting with his neighbour, waiting for his wife, a phonecall, or a letter, etc. Strange characters start to make their appearance in his life, telling him their life stories and slowly dragging him into a world of mysticism and occult. Mysterious events begin to take more time from his everyday mundane life giving this novel a very dark and surreal atmosphere.
This novel is very well written (thanks to both the author and the translator). It is clever, funny and also melancholic. It is full of witty remarks. It is quite a big book, made up of 70-80 `bite size' chapters that are very easy to read, and also addictive -- "I just want to read one more little chapter, just one and then I'll stop reading and go to bed, I know I can stop whenever I want to, I just need to know what happens next otherwise I would never be able to sleep, it's only 5 o'clock in the morning, that gives me 3 full hours of sleep before waking up to go to work..."
Well, it seems that I can go on talking about this book for ever. This is a story of alienation and detachment, of the feeling that others have control over your life, that your options are very limited and that happiness is unattainable. Not all puzzles can be solved, and not everyone can be understood. Highly recommended.
22 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2013
This book sits up there for me with some of the all time greats. The transformation of the main character from a grey, non-descript nobody to a figure who's life stretches out across time and space in ways you cannot imagine is delivered masterfully. I have seldom found a book that addresses the potential for creativity that lies within the spaces in-between life. The bus journeys, the days off sick, the unemployed wasteland, bunking off school, derelict buildings. Sounds mundane right? Wrong, this story slowly draws the curtain aside to reveal a beautiful and horrific world, as though we are walking across one huge shallow grave. The weight of the Japanese national identity ties knots of guilt and reparation throughout the book; one can feel an accusatory finger following us in every scene of the journey saying, "you did this, what will you do?" to the reader.

Murakami draws the reader into the darkest of wells and challenges us to reach down as far as we can, to face whatever lives down there. He traces the hero's journey and uses imagery that fits perfectly with Jungian ideas of our own hero's journey; only seeing clearly, feeling fully, when the sun is at it's peak. Murakami resists the temptation to tie up loose ends and in doing so, gives the reader the freedom to continue with this narrative in whatever form it takes in their own imagination.

This is neither for the faint hearted, nor for those that need a nice clean neat finish. If you are ready to step outside of the mundane into the uncertainty that lives just behind this veil of reality, if you can live with the mystery, then this book is for you. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2006
Having been aware of the hype surrounding Murakami I was cautious when I began reading this novel, considered by some to be his masterpiece. I was expecting a throw-away offering from Japanese pop culture, but was impressed by how intelligent the book is.

True, if you are seeking a coherent story with a well-rounded plot you will probably be disappointed. The narrative revolves around the main character and his search for his lost cat. By way of a number of loosely-connected episodes, involving some intriguing and eccentric characters, and unexplained supernatural occurrences, this search develops into an investigation into the very nature of his own being.

There are, however, strong themes that are ever present in the fates and thoughts of the characters. At one point Murakami hints that there may, in the end, be no explanation for the supernatural events of the story. But that is entirely in keeping with the reflective passages on secrets and trust, reality and illusion, unity, doubleness and disintegration. I especially liked the chapters featuring the WWII veteran Lieutenant Mamiya - this character and his war stories are just brilliant.

This is a highly introspective and personal story that is not afraid to discuss matters that might not be suitable subjects at the dinner table. Murakami is also highly aware of his presence and role as author, and this is possibly where the main interest of the novel lies. The central questions of the novel seem to be, how far can language convey the ineffable? And what exactly constitutes reality and consciousness?

Despite being a deceptively easy read and capable of evoking highly lucid images, this novel is perhaps better suited to the reader with a slightly more serious attitude to literature, who has the time to interpret the story from the scattered hints and moments of realisation.
on 10 January 2003
I grabbed this book off a shelf, never having heard of Murakami before, a few years ago before taking a plane to Greece with some friends. We were celebrating finishing our exams, staying at a tacky resort and basically drinking and sunbathing, but after a couple of days I found myself ducking out of bar crawls to head back to my room to read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle!
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a bloody difficult book to explain. There are so many different, and seemingly bizarrely unrelated, strands to the story. The only real constant is Toru, the main character, and as with many other works by Murakami he is a somewhat passive presence, trying to get his head round the flurry of unusual events, emotions and observations on life. His life is turned completely upside down, but rather than over-focusing on the strange goings on, we also have beautifully written pieces about such banal events as making pasta. On one level the Wind Up Bird Chronicle is almost fantastical in nature, so bizarre are the events, but Toru acts as a grounding force. His doubts, worries, and an imagination that all too often causes him pain, are very normal aspects of any person. It is his very mundanity and passive nature that allows the events to occur - many of the characters he meets simply because he doesn't have anything else that he could rather be doing, and therefore expands his mind and perspective.
Toru as a character provokes sympathy, but it is the events around him that provoke our interest. As a character he is purer, for want of a better word, than the central character of other Murakami books. In some ways he is simply a convenient centre on which to secure the rest of the story, which at times threatens to scatter out of control. Yet I became so convinced by the view of the story through his eyes that I felt quite close to him as a character, and felt that my own reaction to such events would be similarly bemused, or self doubting.
The Wind Up Birds Chronicle IS a confusing book. There were many times when I had to go back two or three pages to reread, largely in a case of 'double-take' - I wasn't sure, or couldn't believe, that something was happening in the way it was described. But considering the various strands, it's an impressive achievement to draw them together as effectively as Murakami does. This book is, in my opinion, a true classic.
on 30 July 2015
This is my first Murakami book, I'd been meaning to start his books for a while and was glad I picked this one up first. I had a real sense of Stephen King's influences in his writing in what made his character's not only believable but also likeable.
There is no genre to pinpoint exactly what this story is about as there is a mixture of tension, fantasy an thriller mixed together in Toru's- the main character- life.
Unfortunately some parts were more interesting than others and the mystery behind the affairs and finding out how new character's are going to play into the story will make you wait painfully long to reach some sort of conclusion. However, I was not put off as I liked Murakami's style of writing and will be looking forward to read The Wild Sheep Race and Norwegian Wood.
on 17 October 2014
This was my first taste of Murakami. After 5 pages I thought I was going to hate it, by the end I'd filled my shopping cart with a hefty pile of his other books. It's hard to describe what makes this novel so good, certainly a description of it's plot wouldn't make it sound particularly enticing, but the mood created is so immersive and wonderfully dream-like that I was just carried away with it all and felt quite upset when the book was over. Easy to read, but full of some very weighty themes, imagery and stories within stories (the war-time chapters I found particularly moving, and often horrifying), The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a stunning achievement and I think rightly qualifies as a work of art.
on 24 February 2014
I don't know what to make of this. It's a very long book, and there is a lot in it, lots of different stories. But they all centre around the protagonist, a man who has opted out and lives a humdrum life pottering about the house. Then first his cat disappears and then his wife leaves him. His life becomes devoted to getting her back, and along the way he encounters a multitude of odd and curious characters. He meditates at the bottom of a dry well; he sits on a bench watching people's faces; he receives odd presents and letters from war survivors. But none of this really touches him.

It's mostly engrossing, captivating stuff; each section is easily digestible and often leaps ahead or aside to another view without really alienating the reader. Some of these pieces don't appear to have much connection to the main story at all. I was quite hooked, however, from the beginning until, well, until quite near the end. And yet, despite the four stars I feel it deserves, it's left me feeling frustrated and vaguely dissatisfied, with a decision not to bother with any more of this author's work. Why? It just seems to be too much smoke and mirrors, too much contrivance, to many easy ways out, too much exposition at the end to explain what's gone before. Just when does surrealism, metaphor and symbolism become a cop-out?
on 19 July 2013
For a beginner of Murakami's work or old timer, the wind up bird chronicle is one of his greatest books in my opinion. Beautifully written and amazing story that will leave you sad to finish the last page.
on 30 September 2015
I found it hard to get involved in this book. I found the short chapters mostly irritating although some were more interesting than others. the main character was a wimp with a very depressing life. I found the very graphic sex scenes boring and not relevant to the story. would not recommend to a friend.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 September 2014
I enjoyed this as much as any novel I have ever read.

It is very easy to read - a real page turner. And yet it is highy original. I had no idea where it was heading to, since the plot is enirely unpredictable. In some ways reading this is like living your actual life - you never know what's coming next, nor do you fully understand what is going on around you.

Apart from the enjoyment of the story, I learned some fascinating new history about Japan, China and Russia. I feel inspied to look more into this era.

I have had some bad experiences with adventurous, arty or surreal novels, but this manages to be all of those things yet very approachable and enjoyable at the same time.

I give it highest possible recommendation.