on 26 February 2001
This was one of my favourite films as a child and now, many years later, is a favourite of my own small children. The colour, imagery, songs and wicked humour stay in the mind long after watching. The moral content (if you are very rude/greedy/selfish etc.., you get your comeuppence in the end) is as relevant today as it's ever been. Even though the ending differs slightly from Roald Dahl's book - Charlie is not as faultless in the film, but redeems himself with his honesty - the story is as enjoyable and heartwarming as they get.
on 16 November 2012
This is one of my favourite musicals, from the opening song "The Candy Man." how ever, it really takes off when the Golden Ticket competition is announced. Highlights are Tim Brooke Taylor telling a computer exactly what it could do with a life time supply of chocolates, a psychiatrist asking his patient where he dreamed the ticket was, her Majesty bidding at an auction and the woman; when told that the kidnappers will kill her husband if they don't get her box of Wonka Bars says "How long will they give me to think it over" Obviously none of the other winners are as deserving as little Charlie Bucket. One of the most; slighting disturbing quote of the film is when Mike Teevee is asked if he likes the killing, and he answers "What do you think life is all about?" The two scenes featuring the teacher are hilarious, especially when after Charlie tells him how many chocolate bars he opened he says "Well, I can't figure out just two!" Then we get to the Chocolate Factory where the fun really begins. One scene I don't appreciate, is the one in which when Charlie and Grandpa Joe are heading towards the fan, they keep burping to get down, which is slightly unpleasant. Gene Wilder delivers two of the best, thought provoking lines in the entire film "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams," and then as Charlie proves he is worthy of the grand prize, he (Wonka) says "So shines a good deed in a weary world" One thing that is peculiar, is that in the opening scene, where the candy man gives a bunch of kids free rein of his shop, when Charlie buys a chocolate bar, the candy man clears his throat and holds out his hands for Charlie to give him the cash. Gene Wilder was fantastic as the titular character, especially in the scene where Verucca Salt throws a tantrum - how he managed to keep a stony face was fantastic. I know a lot of people prefer the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with Mr Depp, but for me he never came close to Mr Wilder. Fantastic Fun
on 10 May 2015
We had a chocolate factory near to where I lived when I was growing up. My father got a job there which lasted for two days. He was in charge of placing a small chocolate rabbit at the end of a candy bar. Father was fired after he got into a heated row with a co-worker and pushed him into a vat of chocolate, effectively ruining a day's worth of stock. I don't know why father accepted a job there because he loathes chocolate and is allergic to rabbits.

The film version is of course loosely based on the book. I do believe the film version is set in Russia though. We are introduced to the sinister Willy Wonka (Gene Hackman) who lives alone in his factory. Wonka has a thick Russian accent and wears white tights and a rouge hat, skipping wherever he goes.

When several children win tickets to his factory, Wonka arranges to have them eliminated in most hideous ways when they misbehave on his factory tour. One child is sprayed with dark chocolate and then frozen with liquid nitrogen before being mixed with double cream and served with a lemon sorbet to the other children. I found this utterly unbelievable, as we all know that most children hate sorbet.

There are several pleasurable music numbers, including a five minute solo from Wonka as he gaily plays a chocolate flute. I would recommend the film, my DVD came with what looked like a chocolate button inside, but I have not had the courage to eat it yet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 November 2011
Bought this for my six years old granddaughter as they had been to a local chocolate factory on a school project, it delighted her as much as it did her mum 30 years ago. This is a film that will never grow old.
on 9 August 2005
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of the all time classic children's' films ever made and even after some 30 years since its original release, this version remains as fresh, as bright, as delightful and as exciting as ever.
It's the classic tale of the poor little boy who makes good when deprived Charlie Bucket finds one of only 5 golden tickets hidden inside bars of famous Wonka chocolate. The tickets give the winner entry for the day into the fabulous and top secret Wonka chocolate factory and to meet the even more famous inventor Willy Wonka. Charlie joins the other 4 finders of the golden tickets, a motley crew of horrible children of varying bad habits, for his wonderful day out in WonkaLand.
What I really like about the film is the trip around the factory is just a real visual delight around every corner with its madcap inventions, chocolate river, crazy machinery and absurd take on everyday life.
The other thing I really think the film does well is that it has an almost sinister side to it. Willy Wonka himself is not the friendly old uncle he seems at times, at moments he turns on the children and positively scares them to death. The Oompa Lumpas are also not the cuddly cute little men they first seem and I'm sure they have induced many a childhood nightmare. I think this element is good as it stops the film becomes to sickly sweet and keeps the action on edge.
I think the final word can be that I remember this film delighting me as a child and when my own children watched it recently they too were totally taken into the story and watched entraced for the duration.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 December 2003
Both the book and the movie are fantastic but there are differences naturally, even so, i think that the film stays close to the book fairly well making this movie simply fantastic.
No matter how many times it appears on T.V i'll always watch it. The songs are great (both from normal people and ompalumpas!), the scenery from Munich is beautiful and the actual chocolate factory brings to life the fantastic places and adventures that the book contains.
The actual character of Willie Wonka, is a great one anyway but to get Gene Wilder to play the part was a stroke of genius. Some argue that Wilder overdoes it and is a bit too crazy but Wilder has simply brought his own personal style to the role.
The children are as horrible as Dahl intended, ranging from Mike Teevee, the tele addict to spoilt brat Veruka Salt. To balance this we have the great Charlie who is still wholesome even in the face of extreme poverty.
All the family will love this DVD, the very fact that it is still a hit today, shows that it is a true classic!
on 6 November 2011
Excellent value and a true classic movie that you can watch again and again! Uplifting and fun. Much cheaper than my search on ebay.
on 8 February 2015
Great film - but let's review the actual bluray, and not how well Amazon delivered it, or its 'as described'. As those type of reviews are plain bollocks.

Bluray quality:-

3 / 5

This film has always looked garishly cheap, something which a bluray at 1080p just accentuates.

Saying that, it's never looked so bad, which in turn is good! See. I'm down with the kids.

Colours are vibrant, garish and OTT - but that's Wonka!

Bluray sound:-

It's a lovely 5.1 mix, which adds depth to the fun scenes of the movie, some of the singing unfortunately showcases some bad audio obviously from the original that couldn't be fixed with today's tech. It's the low ranges that are effected. But if you're buying this film to simply watch it and be entertained. That doesn't matter to you.

Overall :-

4/5

It'll not look any better unless they retouch every single cell and rescan at 4k.

The price I paid, £6 was worth the risk.
on 1 October 2013
this film is funny and entertaining

I watched this film since i was 10 year old and now iam 22 years old i still like watching this film.

i dont know what some people are talking about this film is fine and this film is for all ages and for family times.

i like everything about this film and the girl that wanted everything she wanted gets on my nerves she never shuts up its always " daddy i want this i want that".

and the actors and actresses in this film are terrific and every word they say is loud and clear and they never forgot their acting words in the script.

everyone knows that when charlie bucket and grandpa joe drink fizzy lifting drinks and that they have got invisible wires hook around their their hips to look like they were really flying.

and everyone who hasen't watched this like families,friends and children should really watch this film and every years to come in the future.
on 15 December 2013
IF YOU WANT TO VIEW PARADISE, DON'T WATCH JOHNNY DEPP'S VERSION

I absolutely love this! The fact that the producer and writers made Gene Wilder's portray Willy Wonka as a father figure in disguise for Charlie is what sold me. Just the way he tested Charlie at the end with the everlasting gobstopper and the way he angrily reprimanded them for stealing fizzy lifting drinks is a moral test to. He knew that Charlie's weakness was his honesty, but he wanted to see if the boy would actually leave the gobstopper or to take it to Slugworth aka Wilkinson.
It's totally obvious he already knew about Charlie having a hard life practically told by Wilkinson the day when he confronted the boy for the gobstopper and wanted the entire family to move in the factory, so he had to test the boy to see if he was honest enough to return the gobstopper or take it to Slugworth.