Will this game only work on a 3DS?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Apr 2011 20:43:20 BDT
I have a dsi and i love professor layton but will this game work on my dsi? Or will there be a normal version of the game which isn't 3D?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2011 18:44:27 BDT
Richard S says:
No.
This is being developed for the 3DS - There will be no 2D version of the game created.
And the DSi, of course does not support 3DS cartridges.
If you want to play it, you'll have to upgrade your console.
You'll still be able to play your old games on the 3DS console.

Posted on 30 May 2011 16:33:43 BDT
This game is only for the 3DS due to graphics. Sadly, there won't be a 2D version of it for the previous Nintendo consoles.

Posted on 30 May 2011 21:21:32 BDT
Sezlouise says:
Will there be any more Professor Layton's for the normal 2D Nintendo DS?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2011 14:03:41 BDT
S. Armstrong says:
Look mate, the 3DS isn't just another DS but in 3D, it has a completely differant set-up! I won't go into any details, but you can't play 3DS games on a DS. There is a 3DS Professor Layton game in development, which can be found here: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
There is another Layon game for the DS which was released in 2009 in Japan, but it's unclear wether it'll be released here ever. Here's the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Layton_and_the_Last_Specter

Posted on 14 Jun 2011 00:34:30 BDT
A. Bullivant says:
If you want to keep playing new Professor Layton games, such as this one and "Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright" which should come out next year, you will have to get a 3DS unfortunately. Nintendo are using the Layton series to introduce people to the 3DS (to great effect in Japan, where the game smashed through the charts) and so they are unlikely to also make a DS version. It would be like making Gameboy advance games after the release of the DS.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2011 19:46:58 BDT
N Murphy says:
Im not sure how reliable this information is, however wiki does mention this game will be released sometime in 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 13:57:06 BDT
Peter Joll says:
This game which will only work on the 3DS is actually the fifth in the series with the fourth game "Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call" (UK/Australian title for the game) still to be released outside of Japan. It is due to be released by the end of the year for the Nintendo DS (so will work on all DS models) but will most likely be the last title in the series that will be compatible with the DS before moving on to 3DS-only releases.

What's interesting is the fact that this 3DS game is available for pre-order whereas the DS game "the Spectre's Call" is not. This 3DS game probably won't be out until 2012 with the trend being that each Layton game is released roughly one year apart. Hopefully they will try to close this gap as Japan is currently 2 years ahead of us when it comes to Layton game releases with all 5 titles having now been available over there since February, and two more titles confirmed to be currently in development (one being the Layton and Phoneix Wright/Ace Attorney crossover game).

Hope this information has been of some help.

Posted on 23 Aug 2011 20:12:34 BDT
Have just looked on the nintendo website and there will a new layton game released in nov for the dsi and the 3ds

Posted on 14 Sep 2011 01:19:33 BDT
Peter Joll says:
Here is a link to the final Layton game for the DS before they move onto the 3DS-only that I previously mentioned: Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (Nintendo DS)

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 09:48:46 BDT
Colin says:
Although this is an old thread, Game & GameStation are offering a trade-in right now. Your DS XL plus charger for a 3DS XL plus brand new charger for 99.99, the website mentions original packaging but our shop never batted an eyelid at no box.

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 16:37:22 BDT
thumbs down says:
i hate this! now i have to find over 100 for a new console for a game i have been playing since they have been made! well i will prefer to save the money so they lost my custom, shame they couldnt do it in normal format it all has to be 3D stuff nower days!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2012 17:13:02 BDT
Gbyork says:
The DS is no longer a current console, the 3DS has replaced it. Why do people not understand that the 3DS and DS are completely different things?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2012 20:23:35 BDT
Peter Joll says:
You clearly don't understand what the 3DS is, and to some degree I blame Nintendo for it due to them labeling their next generation handheld after the 3D gimmick. The 3DS is the next generation and is not just a DS in 3D, think of it as a DS2 or DS Advance, the next generation, with greater processing power that allows for greater graphics and greater audio quality so that it is possibly more powerful than the PSP, definitely more powerful than the N64, and in my opinion from games I've played, closely on par with the Gamecube & Wii.

Have you not noticed the lack of Nintendo flagship releases on the DS recently? The last Professor Layton game only came out on the DS rather than the 3DS purely because we're about 2 or 3 years behind japan with Layton game releases so were still catching up.

3DS is more than just a gimmick feature, I bought it and almost never used the 3D feature and if you do ever give it a go, try Ocarina of Time and that will show you how great the console compared to the last generation. Just don't shrug it off because Nintendo chose a stupid name that easily confuse a good majority of customers as to what it actually is.

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 20:40:19 BDT
dixi says:
I have only recently purchased the DS XL so I not be purchasing the 3DS, so no more professor Leighton for me. I agree with thumbs down. They have lost my custom.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 20:59:34 BDT
Peter Joll says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 16:29:55 BDT
i'm sorry but i don't care for the tone of your posts, peter joll. people aren't thick because they don't want to get the 3ds - it's probably they can't afford it - like i can't afford it.
and it's not because we may or may not understand 3ds is a development - it's because we want to play the professor layton games on the platform we have now.
i've got all the previous professor layton adventures and was looking forward to the new one - and now the series will have to go on without me. the 3ds is completely beyond my bank balance. even trading in my ds for one won't benefit me as i won't be able to play the games i've got now.
WE AREN'T OPTING TO BE LEFT BEHIND - AND WE'RE NOT THICK - WE DO UNDERSTAND WHAT A 3DS IS.

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 05:01:36 BDT
Matt says:
Thing is, the Nintendo DS has been around since November 21, 2004(Japan), March 2005(UK). The technology is old now, which is why Level 5(Layton developers) have moved to the Nintendo 3DS, the latest model. Although it's unfortunate some of you with DS consoles won't be able to play the latest 3DS games, it's just natural progression, every series makes a leap to the next generation and Layton has done just that.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 05:04:30 BDT
Matt says:
Every UK Nintendo DS game works on the Nintendo 3DS, unsure where you got the idea that DS games won't work on the 3DS from lol.

The only DS games that won't work on the 3DS are the fake ones that are all over Ebay/Some sellers on here(Mostly Mario ones, obvious to spot).

Kinda ironic when you used caps to tell him you know what a 3DS is, but didn't know the above which is kinda important lol.

Posted on 7 Oct 2012 11:03:02 BDT
vervester says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2012 21:52:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Oct 2012 21:52:35 BDT
Matt says:
Bingo, pretty much every major francise has moved to the 3DS too. Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, and no doubt the next Pokemon game after Black and White 2 will be on the 3DS.

The DS is 8 years old this year. I think Nintendo supported enough. They can't be blamed if people got into the DS later on in its lifetime.

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 08:08:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2012 08:08:18 BDT
John Morris says:
I think the issue with the 3ds is nintendo have pushed the 3d aspect and forgot to mention the console is a lot more powerful than the original ds,the ds in terms of power was just under a n64 wheras the 3ds can produce visuals that better a wii.

The new layton game will look like a top notch cartoon on the 3ds.

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 08:25:26 BDT
John Morris says:
MRS P M ALLEN,

You can't support a console forever and the ds has had it's time and a lot of good games over the years,but nintendo have to move on and the 3ds is the console that most developers are going to be supporting from now on,putting yourself in the position of a developer would you not want your games to look their very best?,and this is why the new layton game is coming to the 3ds.

In terms of price the dsi was costin around 160-170 pounds,and you can get hold of a normal 3-ds for 134 or around 90.00 used,I would buy the xl version if I were you but these are a tad more expensive at 158.00 which is awesome value when you consider how much extra power you get and you can still play all your exising ds games.You should also get a trade in value for your existing ds which would make the cost even less.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2012 20:08:50 BDT
Matt says:
Actually no it can't. The 3DS and Wii are near enough the same powerwise. I would lean more towards the Wii being more powerful than the 3DS if system specs/first party Nintendo games are anything to go by.

Anyway I agree. This Layton game should look fantastic on the 3DS :)

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 02:39:03 BDT
I don't know how they can fetch it out 3ds but no 2d version I'm disgusted that I should have to upgrade just because they can't be arsed to fetch out another on 2ds another excuse to get money out of us tbh. It's ridiculous
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa7623780)

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  27 Apr 2011
Latest post:  15 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (202)