Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2002
In the same vein as his other yachting adventures, this novel is gripping right from the start. Set more on land than at sea the characters are sharply portrayed and, although you don't feel you really get to know them, with all the action there's barely time. The sailing and seafaring action is described, as usual, beautifully and you feel as though you're really there. I needed to sit down and recover afterwards!
on 23 September 2008
Bernard is a keen sailor and I have read all his books on sailing. They are ok, have some excitement but are not a patch on his historical stuff.
If you like sailing and want to read everything he has ever written then give this a go. These 2 reasons are why I bought my copies
on 16 July 2016
Rather disappointing. I have read all the series about Uhtred and King Alfred, and they were compelling with a realism that drew you into the very fabric of those times. This was just average fiction, it never felt real, the characters were predictable and the plot was contrived.
on 20 September 2015
I love Cornwell’s writing. I have his Warrior series, his King Arthur series, the series about the 14th century mercenaries and lots of his contemporary novels, but this one… A worldly-wise, reasonably intelligent, ex-officer signs a clearly dodgy contract without reading a single word – I’m sorry, I can’t swallow that, and neither should you.
on 23 February 2015
A book about sailing and boats which are not usually my interest, but as I am a big fan of Bernard Cornwell's historical novels. I thought Id give this one a chance.
I quite liked it and finished it over a weekend

The hero of the book, Captain Nick Sandman wounded in the Falklands War and told he will never walk again by doctors is a stubborn man, and hi sonly wish is to sail his boat Sycorax to New Zealand. The boat is impounded and a well known wealthy media mogul, Tony Bannister, wants to make a film of Nick's story.
\
Soon he comes up against an Arab American billionaire , Kassoluli, who wants to destroy Bannister, who he believes killed his daughter
Good plot, good characterization, especially of Nick and his love interest Angela, and well paced.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 January 2012
I've read this twice and will pick it up again.The author's passion for sailing and a real love of the area shine through without being too heavy on us land lubbers! Having said that, most of the novel takes place on land. I found the characters colourful and well rounded while the plot was evenly paced and without contrivance. Nick Breakspear is an everyman hero, beaten and at odds with his position in society, used and disrespected by all around him. There are many bad people, all wanting a piece of the hero, there's an obvious bad guy, a bit of comedic relief and couple of love interests too!

Thrillers often hang the plot on the military skills of their leading hero, not so here, Nick's a real person and has very real challenges, he's desperate to repair his boat and get out to sea but his is return from War is dashed by a scheming ex wife, a father in jail and media mogul hell bent on using Nick's story for his own ends.

All in all, this is a interesting yarn with a lively narrative.
on 3 August 2015
A good read. A very gripping ending with an additional epilogue which was unusual for Cornwell. A cheeky reference to characters that also appear in Scoundrel and the usual tip of the cap to Cape Cod in an expanded scene. Overall very enjoyable, but the weakest of his ship based thriller series.
on 25 September 2015
Beautifully read by David Case, I really enjoyed listening to Wildtrack. I've listened to it 3 x within 3 months now. Bernard Cornwell's sailing stories are exciting, very british and sailors can really empathize with the "hero".
on 10 April 2013
Wildtrack is the best of Bernard Cornwell's sailing novels, I would say. This one has a strong sense of style and mood. I was hooked by the first steps of our damaged hero on page one as he limped out of hospital. I wrote my own first novel, Waypoint (a sailing thriller on a different theme), in reaction to it.
It is by the far the most absorbing of the sailing stories. I think I read that he wasn't planning any more sea-based thrillers because he enjoys Sharpe and historical fiction so much. A shame. I would love another set of books like this one. Come on Bernard!
on 6 April 2013
All of Cornwell's thrillers remind me strongly of Dick Francis - the same basic theme (Francis - Horse Racing; Cornwell: Sailing). The same nearly-indestructible hero who can survive more physical damage than us normal mortals. The same plot ideas that require a small suspension of likelihood.

Having said that, I enjoyed all of this collection and read avidly. Sailing is much more my thing than the Gee Gees too! Worth reading.