Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 August 2011
This is an extremely interesting book, but not by Sally Fallon as it states here, (she wrote the forward only). It's written by Sandor Ellix Katz a self confessed 'fermentation fetishist'.

The recipe section covers every form of fermented food you can think of, from Fruit Kimchi to Amazake to Kefir. It is a extremely enjoyable book to read especially if you are (like the author), passionate about fermentation. Everything from health benefits to history of fermentation & cultural aspects are covered.

Highly recommended!!
on 3 September 2014
This is one of the two books that got me interested in fermenting food. The other is Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen. I've looked through a few others, but these seem to be the best. Sandor Katz is probably the most quoted on fermentation websites and blogs, sometimes affectionately referred to as "Sandorkraut". His book is the perfect one to read if you are a little wary of fermenting, like I was. I thought fermentation was more like canning where you have to boil and sterilize jars and with very much deviation from instructions one could end up with Botulism. I found that while everything needs to be clean and fresh, containers don't really need to be boiled and in fact great container for fermenting an earthenware crock. The high pH of most fermented vegetables isn't very hospitable to Botulism spores. Katz made me feel comfortable with being creative with recipes and trying new things.

So I purchased a Ohio Stoneware 2 gallonCrock in MidnightBlue and 5 or 6 heads of cabbage and set off to make sauerkraut. I've always loved sauerkraut, even as a little kid. I sliced up the cabbage, mixed it with salt and caraway seed and packed it into the crock. There is a recipe in the book for basic sauerkraut and how much salt to use. The natural juices from the cabbage were released, just as he said. I put a plate over the cabbage in the crock and weighted it down to keep it submerged, then put a lid on the crock. Checking it each day was so interesting the first time. At first it got sort of fizzy and then started getting sour. By Day 8 it tasted wonderfully sour and crunchy and I paced get into mason jars and put it in the refrigerator to keep it from fermenting even more. I've made another batch since and let it ferment a couple of weeks and it was even more sour. For someone with a "sour tooth" as well as a sweet one, it was amazing.

I've also done a batch of Kombucha and have another one brewing. I grew my own scoby from about a third of a bottle of a commercial product along with black tea and sugar and water. The taste was amazing! I've also got some lemons preserving (They take longer) and some wine that is becoming vinegar. And I have a whole list of other things I want to try. I have Sandor Katz to thank for the inspiration. I'm so glad I bought this book!
on 1 April 2011
I am new to fermenting and this book has been a real inspiration. The recipes and instructions are very clear and easy to follow and there are many things you could try straight away with things that you probably have in your kitchen.

It's written in a lovely style and full of personal stories of how fermenting can fit into your daily life. The only problem I'm having is acquiring big jars and crocks to put things in!

So from a total beginner (but someone quite handy in the kitchen) I fully recommend this book. It has just the right balance of science I think to make it all seem tangible too, I think that really helps to foster understanding rather than just following recipes.
on 9 January 2008
This book is one that I wished for for years. I didn't it existed until I bought Sally Fallons book. I have always wanted to know more about fermentation and this book clearly describes a lot of way of fermenting various veggies and how to make sourdough etc.
There is no meat and fish in there, but I sure do hope that Sandor will also write a book on the meat and fish fermenting topic. I would surely buy it.
Back to the roots is how I would call it, and with that, back to a better health.
on 12 July 2009
This is the best book I have bought for a long time.If you are in to health,self sufficiency,veganism,alternative living,this should keep you busy for a while.Breads,beers, soya,cheeses,and a whole lot of other delicious and thought prevoking food!
on 6 August 2012
If like me you were pre-sold on fermenting and wanted a book to help you get started immediately, well, you won't be able to use this as your sole source. You'll be forced to find information elsewhere.

This is definitely not a manual. It reads like a collection of essays that mix autobiographical elements with not-always-relevant opinion, history, and information about fermenting.

The way he writes makes it hard to extract the practical details you need. To give one example his main sauerkraut recipe suggests using a ceramic crock - something he'd previously said is hard to find - combined with a boiled rock.

A boiled rock? Are you seriously going to be using a boiled rock in your fermentation? Or a 4 litre crock? So you're left confused and not fulfilling the purpose you bought the book for. Why would a person write a book filled with recipes based on 4 litre crocks and not 1 litre glass preserve jars? I really can't say.

If you want concise, *practical*, instructions for putting fermentation to use now, the 20 fermenting pages in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon are vastly superior to this entire book. Her work is better organized and clearer. Her recipes are updated to work with products you can buy. She's gotten round the step of sticking a rock or water-filled bottle into the fermenting jar.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2009
fantastic recipes of how to make everyday foods into power nutrition. the author encourages you to try your own recipes and the possibilities are endless. you don't need a huge amount of time on your hands either. the sauerkraut recipes have really given me the 'bug' and I have found it especially useful as now I am on the Body Ecology Diet that uses fermented/probiotic food. it also goes hand in hand with Sallon Fallon's books esp Nourishing Traditions.

if youre looking for better health then you can't go wrong here!
on 3 February 2013
Very well written and interesting book - a cookbook that is funny, and provides interesting background information on recipes - which are great!
on 8 April 2015
This is quickly becoming my favourite book of all time! It seems to accompany most topics of interest - it touches on some like vegan cheese that I'd like to see more of - but he has certainly pointed me in a good direction to find out more myself!! Well written. A must have for any foodie kitchen!
on 8 April 2015
Excellent easy to follow recipes! I was always a bit nervous doing fermentation but this made it easy to do, and the results are very tasty! Fermenting foods is an easy way to repopulate your gut with healthy bacteria!