Customer Discussions > Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) forum

Why the 1 Star Reviews people ???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 83 posts in this discussion
Posted on 22 May 2012 01:05:34 BDT
I. Bibat says:
Why the hell I need somebody else server when I want to play on my PC?!? I own my PC and own my game. If I want to play single player, no one should stop me from playing it.

But some smart guy from the maker of this great game is ruining it. They don't have a proper planning. They don't have any plans if their idea does not work.

Don't tell me the issue on the server is different from the game. They added the server to the equation, which you can't do anything if their server is down.

EPIC FAIL!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 14:14:36 BDT
HerrKaputt says:
@Graspee:
Was it known in advance that you would not be able to play for a few days after getting your game?
Was it known in advance that there was a serious chance that you play for 15-30 minutes and upon a server glitch all that progress is lost?

Please provide links published (by Blizzard, and before launch date) to the above points. Yeah, didn't think so either.

Posted on 25 May 2012 20:42:57 BDT
robroyman says:
Buy car, car doesn't run right, leave 1 star review.
Drive car till/if it runs right (1 week to 1 year) = 5 star review.

Substitute "car" for "D3".

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 22:12:00 BDT
Xellith says:
Im asuming you are talking about people researching the Beta reviews people made. Anything from devs cannot be trusted if Mass Effect 3's promises are anything to go by.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 23:04:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 00:14:24 BDT
RME says:
I didn't know the service was going to be awful throughout Week 1 (not just day one). I dispute the notion that you should "expect" to suffer poor service with a new game, even if Blizzard are your favourite games company. Server capacity planning is hardly rocket science these days, online games are everywhere, and load testing is something I'd expect to be conducted in testing. Just because other companies don't deliver what customers have a right to expect (and just because Blizzard are good people) doesn't mean we should suck it up - these people are not doing us a favour by letting us buy their game. You deserve better, and so I do. Sure, Blizzard have a right to protect their rights, but you and I have a right to the product we've purchased. Thoughout Week 1, I had my game interrupted due to server inadequacies. It's only a game, but it's a game I've paid for and expect to play when I want. Interesting aside : I admit I've not been thorough, but I've found no mention on North American sites of the issues we've experienced in Europe.

Posted on 26 May 2012 11:56:10 BDT
JDM says:
If its ok for a company to provide a poor/no service after I've paid them because "its the first week" is it ok if I don't pay them for the game (whilst playing it) until I feel the service is good enough?

Funny enough I don't think Actiblizz would be happy to be on the bottom side of that relationship.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 16:51:07 BDT
Graspee says:
Not be able to play for "a few days after getting your game" ? Total fabrication. The servers were down for a few hours ON ONE DAY, and it was staggered by region so you could make a character on US server when EU was down or vice versa if you really wanted to play.

And if you're angry about losing a measly amount of progress like 15-30 minutes then you need to reassess your priorities or something.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 21:06:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2012 21:18:38 BDT
RME says:
I hardly think we'd be seeing the levels of complaint if we'd all just missed just 15-30 mins! Though I'm beginning to think that last post might be tongue in cheek, to wind up those of us who were so frustrated. Sadly, I couldn't get in despite repeated attempts all through Day 1. Got in for 25 mins on Day 2 and it kicked me out due to server overload. I couldn't log back in. Bit longer on Day 4, didn't bother at all on Days 5 and 6. Since then I've been kicked out 3 times due to server issues. My girlfriend's experience was so bad, she hasn't gone back (30+ i could have saved - we used to play D2 on LAN together). It _is_ improving, but Blizzard owe us all an apology for the poor service and failure to address these issues in testing. And need to learn some lessons about how to run online services better, to maintain credibility and grow. They will not prosper by relying on niche fandom, they could do much better for themselves and us. I remain a fan of Blizzard and their excellent game design approach, they are a company I have followed since Watcraft I. I hope they learn from their mistakes and sustain the progress they have made in the past few days.

Posted on 28 May 2012 06:42:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 May 2012 06:43:17 BDT
Piemaster says:
The rampant 1-star reviews are *slightly* annoying (as are the fanboy unqualified 5-star reviews). What drifts into the realm of *extremely* annoying is the people that are going through this thread rating any posts that don't agree with their point of view as 'unhelpful' just so that these posts eventually hidden so it looks like their opinion is the consensus. It's childish, douchey and completely unhelpful to people like me who are considering buying the game and are actually looking for a balanced range of opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 08:11:21 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 13:07:38 BDT
N. Duarte says:
Excuse me, are you stupid? You think that knowing the bad points of a game before buying it detracts from those being bad points?

- Always online
- (RM)AH revolving item drop adjustments
- Crap servers
- Crap server security that lead to hacked accounts (Obviously no fault of the user since even with the use of the Authenticator the protection was bypassed)

The gameplay is not awful, I'll give you that... but the bad points are bad points. Doesn't matter if people do research or not prior to buying the game and then complain about the bad points, they were there from the start and warrant Diablo 3 a 1-star rating for not following up to its predecessor of over 10 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 13:20:01 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 15:42:04 BDT
Cobaltmotari says:
If I may add to what DK Lind said about hacked accounts, the statistics Blizzard have are indicating that the only reason people with authenticators are still getting hacked is because they utilise rubbish passwords.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 15:56:47 BDT
well there is another reason, there are several types of authenticators, and right now, the weakest is the dial in authenticators, a blue was made aware of this, and said he would pass this onto a senior, but it seems anyone that uses the dial in authenticators may not be as secure as one may have hoped for

just a heads up

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 16:02:47 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Do you have a source for this? I wasn't aware of different types of authenticators to Blizzard's servers, which ones are the "dial in"?

Posted on 28 May 2012 16:25:55 BDT
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-dial-in-authenticator-faq

the dial in version is for US citizens only, as for the post about them not been effective, I can't find it, as I can't remember which site I got the info from, but there is an app that you can also download for some smart phones, that also can act as an authenticator, but from what I know, the dial in version isn't secure as the physical one that you can buy from their store, or the app you can download for some phones, I will try and find the source if I can. but blizzard have also been deleting a lot of topics on hacking and the like, so the post in question may or may not still exisit anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 21:38:55 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:

Posted on 29 May 2012 07:47:46 BDT
RME says:
It's definitely getting better. Servers much more stable this week, and have had some good sessions. For those who played Diablo 2, it's not as dark or edgy, it seems a lot more linear (go here, do that) and the game balance is rather skewed (far too easy on normal). Despite that, this is a faithful update of a game classic. Great hack-and-slash fun if not ground-breaking. I remain dismayed by Blizzard's customer service, which suggests the company will remain limited to a loyal, niche market (as evident in this thread). But if you're repaired to accept that limitation, don't think this is a game for people obsessed with authenticators and wot not. It's a simple, fun game and might now be worth buying.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:46:18 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:

Posted on 29 May 2012 12:18:48 BDT
robroyman says:
Another reason: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diablo-3-III-Golds-1-000-000-/200767257319

*This listing is for 1,000,000 (one million) GOLD in DIABLO 3 (EU SERVER)*

sigh

Posted on 29 May 2012 15:08:02 BDT
http://purgatory.guildwebsite.info/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=91&func=view&catid=2&id=809

I still can't find the source for what I originally said, but the dial in version does not work with D3, Im still trying to track where on the blizzard's forums this has been confirmed,

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Admits-Accounts-With-Authenticators-Have-Been-Hacked-42909.html

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149542352?page=1

now it seems, because of the dial in version, this is not a safe version to use, and does not work for D3, as for the other two types,. mobile phone app / physical version, I dont know about them, but it might still be possible for a hacker to get in, probably weak passwords or keyloggers, but the reports of hacked accounts are steadly growing

hope that answers the question, about the dial in version not been safe

Posted on 29 May 2012 15:14:55 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Let us, for argument's sake, say that it's true. Let's assume the dial-in authenticator is unsafe and shouldn't be used by gamers. What does that have to do with us; if Europeans can't use the dial-in authenticator then we shouldn't worry about our own safety. Many of us are using the smartphone or keychain authenticator and those who don't should. There is a good reason why banks are using it for their online banking system.

I can't check the links at present but I will look at them later.

Posted on 29 May 2012 15:56:38 BDT
but not just the dial in, version, there are reports in that thread that those with the phone / physical ones have been hacked, but this is down to keyloggers, but still, blizzard have pretty much denied that there hasn't been any accounts been hacked with people using an authenticator, but this is not the case either

----------------------
Kaltonis
The "hacking" ("compromising" is probably a better word, since no real "hacking" is going on) being seen in D3 is no different than what World of Warcraft players have been seeing for five years or so. The sad thing is, if no one bought game currency (gold, credits, whatever) from these third-party companies, then essentially no account compromises would be occurring. Compromises not done by gold selling companies are very rare indeed. They strip one player to sell to another, because it's much more efficient than "farming" gold. They still farm some of course, but they do it purely with compromised accounts.

Unfortunately, these compromisers make a lot of money off of the practice (because players buy gold) and so they have a lot of resources to use to try to get your password from you directly, or through your computer. Some of their poorly translated phishing e-mails may be laughable, but their trojans, infected websites, etc. are not funny at all.

If you have the physical or mobile authenticator (both of which major banks use and charge $30+ for) the chances of you being compromised are very, very small. I've personally examined the MSInfo files of nearly all of the handful of WoW players who have actually been compromised through an authenticator, and the sheer number of backdoor programs and other malware on their systems has been mind boggling. Probably not coincidentally, these same people were also running a disturbing number of file-sharing and download programs, including ones which are commonly known to not be safe.

Again, compromising game accounts is a big business in some countries. They have people on their payroll who spread false rumors of "hacked through my authenticator" just to try to discourage people from using them. We charge $6.50 for the physical authenticator, because that's exactly what it costs us to make them. The mobile one is free because we don't have to pay a factory to build them. Use them, and enjoy your gaming without someone mucking with your stuff.

--------------

but up to now, blizzard have been pretty much saying, its 100% impossible for the account to be hacked with one attached, now a blue is saying its possible, still pretty low chance, at the end of the day, blizzard should make the password system a lot better,

still, its a shame this is forcing people to jump through many hoops to play a game, it shouldn't have to be this way

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 16:26:27 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 16:13:07 BDT
M. Hackett says:
They have additional problems in that they crow about "the biggest first day release in teh worldz!!".

If they can't handle that, and IN ADDITION they build infrastructure that cannot handle the number of people buying the game and wanting to play, then they don't expect the game to be anywhere near the big seller that they proclaim in PR copy.

I.e. if they build up for 1 million players, then they must be expecting only a million players.

British Airways don't call out how many passengers they have by adding passengers unable to get on the flights because it's over booked, do they?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  16 May 2012
Latest post:  15 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) by Blizzard (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.9 out of 5 stars   (618)