- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 72200 KB
- Print Length: 240 pages
- Publisher: powerHouse Books (30 Oct. 2012)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B009NET0IW
- Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,978,228 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£25.00|
Save £3.62 (14%)
Whole Larder Love Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 176 pages|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
- Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This is an amazing book, I've never read what is essentially a cookbook from cover to cover before, but Anderson's knowledge and insight into a way of life is enough to make you question your own habits and lifestyle, while keeping your wallet and belly happy at the same time
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The problem with this book boils down to three simple facts:
1) The topic itself (gardening, foraging, hunting/fishing) is too ambitious for just 240 pages. There are much better books already published on each (I'll share those recommendations below) -- but those authors focused on just one of the topics, enabling them to provide more detail.
2) The author is a DIY-er (which I admire -- I'm one too) and most of his recipes reflect this. Sure, some of the recipes are delicious -- but nothing really comes across as new. I had the feeling throughout that I'd seen similar recipes before. And this would have been perfectly fine with me had I learned something new from the advice he sprinkles throughout on his pursuits -- but these tips were elementary.
3) It reads like a magazine. By this I mean that it's full of many photographs (beautiful, no doubt -- the author is an exceptionally talented photographer) that often take up the whole page, accompanied by handwritten recipe introductions followed by a typed font for the actual steps. It has an amateurish feel that isn't all that easy for the eyes and mind to process. At times, it felt like I was reading a lengthy ransom note, albeit one about food. It'd make a good coffee table book to stir up conversation among your more squeamish friends -- it's definitely a book that catches your eye, and lends itself to quickly browsing -- but it's probably not something you'll regularly revisit.
Again, I respect the author and the topic he set out to cover. But the execution just wasn't right.
If you are interested in learning more about gardening, foraging, or hunting/fishing, you'd do better to look elsewhere. For gardening basics, read through Eliot Coleman's books; for foraging instructions, Euell Gibbons is your man (and Samuel Thayer is doing a good job following in Gibbons' footsteps); and for hunting/fishing you'll learn much more by reading Hank Shaw's "Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast" and Jesse Griffiths' "Afield: A Chef's Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish."
The recipes are easy to prepare (if you have got some basic experience with cooking). Down to earth meals prepared from what is mostly available within reach and not traveled half around the globe to finally reach the plate. Im already through all the information in the book and know we can start cooking.
In the meantime I hope Rohan will have the time and passion to write more books he shares with us.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Barbecues
- Books > Food & Drink > Quick & Easy Meals
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Fishing, Birdwatching & Other Outdoor Pursuits > Active Pursuits > Outdoor Cooking
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Food & Drink > Cooking by Ingredient
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Food & Drink > Natural Foods
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Home & Garden > Gardening & Horticulture