Customer Discussions > Live At Hull forum

The Who Live at Hull 1970

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Oct 2012 05:45:52 BDT
So it would appear that this show, long thought lost but finally seeing the light of day (albeit with bass parts "flown in") on the Super Deluxe Edition box of Live at Leeds, will now finally be available on its own. Have they finally found the missing bass parts? And will you buy this? Discuss...

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 14:49:31 BDT
DJ Control says:
Can't believe this is being released on it's own.They won't have new bass parts because they were never recorded at the original gig.How to make a super deluxe box set worthless!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2012 17:09:28 BDT
Adrian K says:
From the review of the 40th Anniversary Edition: Now years later the Hull tapes were revisited and it was discovered that because the first reel consisting of four tracks had no bass,everyone had assumed that the whole show had no bass and didn't listen to any more of it,but in fact the rest of the gig was complete. Through the wonders of modern technology, however, the full Hull recording has been repaired by flying in Entwistle's bass tracks from the Leeds recording to repair the Hull tapes and is now available in it's entirety for the first time ever.

So beyond the first 4 tracks, they do have the original bass parts, and they have reconstructed the missing bits using modern technology.

I can see how this might upset anyone who has paid top whack for the 40th Anniversary Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2012 18:21:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Oct 2012 18:22:31 BDT
DJ Control says:
Yes as I own the Super Deluxe box I was aware of the replacement of John's bass parts for some of the show. My comment refers to the original posting who seemed to be unaware of what Universal did to release the Hull gig. I'm getting very weary of shelling out for extra/exclusive content only to have it made available for general release a few months later.I guess if you missed out on the SD Box of Live At Leeds you'll be a happy who fan.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2012 21:03:59 BDT
DJ, actually I *was* aware - in fact, I also have a copy of the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box of Live at Leeds. I got mine at a sale price at a record shop chain local to me. And I suspect you're right, that this was done for all the Who fans who couldn't get the Leeds box when it was available. I think you misread my original post if you thought I was unaware of what Universal did.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 06:03:07 BDT
DJ Control says:
Not sure what you mean by "have they finally found the missing bass parts?".According to the info in the SD Box set they weren't recorded.

Posted on 11 Oct 2012 20:14:18 BDT
clive robey says:
Total rip off! Fortunately I didn't buy the box set just for Hull, safe in the knowledge that it would appear on its own due course. And I was right. Over the years, record companies have pulled off some remarkable marketing stunts, and this is just another in that very long line.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2012 21:39:03 GMT
Roger says:
got to be down to Townshend Adrian he listened to the tapes and dismissed them out of sight had he not done that there would never have been Live at Leeds

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 04:19:48 GMT
Bill Peter says:
@Roger; Your post implies that Townshend only agreed to, and released, Leeds because Hull was faulty. Do you mean that Hull is the better performance - apart from the fault?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 20:00:25 GMT
clive robey says:
I've now given this a damn good listen, as on listening to it for the first time, I was distinctly underwhelmed. But I persevered and glad I have. It's actually impossible to say whether it's better or worse than Leeds, rather you have to marvel at the fact that Leeds was obviously not a one off. Treat it for what it is, a stunning display of a band at their peak. If you're torn for a purchase, buy Hull and NOT the Texas DVD. Poorly filmed and not the energy levels in comparison to either Hull or Leeds.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2013 19:59:34 GMT
Roger says:
I'm not saying which is the better performance Bill fault or no fault just confirming what it says in the
LAH liner notes. Had those LAH tapes been of decent quality LAL would never have happened, the
intention back in 70 always was for it to be LAH.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Live At Hull forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  1 Oct 2012
Latest post:  13 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Live At Hull
Live At Hull by The Who (Audio CD - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (43)