Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Apr 2010 18:39:12 BDT
Ive been having increasing white screen problems over the past few months.
I am sure that this has something to do with the hinges/connnections etc...... but what to do?

Such a shame as I love the NC10 in every other sense.......

Is this a common problem or have I been unlucky?

Thanks, G.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2010 07:43:02 BDT
I have this problem too, it only occurs when the unit is plugged in via AC adaptor and the screen is not in the fully open position. I am looking into if i can return it for repair as it is not even a year old. Lost receipt and threw out box too! Doh

Has your problem been resolved Graham Graham?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2010 10:56:14 BDT
My problem remains the same, as the NC10 is now just over a year old, so cannot return for repair. It started when the NC10 was only 6 months old, but then I needed it for work reasons. I have found the same as you, i.e. it only happens when it is plugged in via the AC adaptor. I double checked this by using a different adaptor and the problem was just the same.

Its such a pity as its a great little machine, so all that I do now is fully charge it up overnight and then use it during the day.
Please do let me know if you get any joy from Samsung........ meanwhile Im keeping my eyes open for a newer model, just in case the white screen problem becomes worse over time.......

Good luck,
Graham

Posted on 7 Jun 2011 21:07:39 BDT
Regarding the Samsung NC10 white screen problem. This is due to a manufacturing fault. Samsung have extended the waranty period up to 2 years for this issue only. However, even if you are outside this period the retailer is obliged to repair as the fault was intrisic to the device. Also, for the device to be "fit for purpose" it should function for more than 2 years. I am currently trying to get Amazon to sort out mine.

Posted on 7 Jun 2011 22:18:49 BDT
Thanks for your post rakl001............ please do let us know how you progress with Amazon.
I have found out that by dimming the screen, i.e. pressing the Fn key with the down arrow, that you can regrain the ''normal'' screen pic.
Otherwise the netbook is working very well and I am more than happy with it. Such a pity that Amazon didnt let ALL purchasers know of the warrenty situation and the extension to 2 years, that would probably be asking too much!

cheers, Graham

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2011 10:19:16 BDT
I have also found that reducing the brightness brings back the normal screen (if the screen is tilted at the right angle). I also think that Amazon should have informed their customers of the warranty extension as now the 2 years has passed the problem has got worse. This is annoying because the issue did arise within the 2 years. It would have been so much easier if I had the knowledge of the manufacturing fault a couple of months ago. I will let you know the response I get from Amazon's legal department.

Posted on 12 Jul 2011 13:20:08 BDT
Graham Graham, your problem will be covered by the extended warranty from Samsung. Go through their call centre and remind them that the NC-10 Warranty has been extended for the White Screen Fault.

As for my case, Amazon legal were not amenable to repair the fault. However, my credit card company have been helpful and have agreed to cover the fully cover the cost of the repair. I pays to shop with your credit card and then quote the consumer credit act. I am particularly disappointed by Amazon's treatment of my case. They did not seem to pay much attention to my correspondence. I even provided a video showing the problem. If my credit card had not stepped up, I would have probably got the repair done and then sued Amazon for the cost.

Don't give up on getting this defect sorted by Amazon or your credit card. This is a manufacturing fault and for the netbook to be "fit for purpose" it should last for more than 2 years.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2011 13:15:35 BDT
Very many thanks for this update, very helpful and also interesting to know that Amazon were not as helpful as they should have been.

It's a shame really as the NC10 has otherwise been a very good buy.

best wishes,

Graham.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2011 12:51:39 BDT
Netbook now fixed by official samsung technician. Cost 100. My credit card company have refunded me the cost. Amazon.co.uk were obstructive. Computer is back to full working order - is a great computer now this issue is solved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  7 Apr 2010
Latest post:  16 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Blue)
Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Blue) by Samsung
4.6 out of 5 stars   (125)