on 28 August 2014
This is a fair outing for Dan Shepherd but far from his best. Leather normally gives us a couple of parallel plots that are intriguing and come together for a good finale. In White Lies, we only get a straightforward adventure which is OK but lacks any suspense or twists. Spider is also marginalised somewhat due to his predicament and the action happens around him, which is not the strength of the Spider series. Overall, an average read.
on 26 June 2015
I am still reading the spider books in order.....and this is more like it for me! As the character developed in previous novels his family ties, a whining son and in-laws etc, became a bit of a pain for me. However there's none of that here and it's basically a tale of hostage rescue involving Special Forces in an inhospitable land.....which is what Spider is best at of course.....except he becomes the hostage. I've always preferred the short stories re Spider when he was in the SAS and the descriptions of equipment and techniques used. It always seems well researched and close to the truth. And this is what this tale is all about....also putting the American Seals in a better light than earlier novels!
Also the MI5 boss Button comes into her own in this novel in her efforts to rescue Spider and the risks and lengths she is prepared to do so. Espionage is a murky world and it's interesting to see each side taking similar torture techniques to get information.....unsavoury for some maybe but no doubt true. A novel with a topical theme and an exciting finale.....
on 18 August 2014
Really enjoyed this book as always with Stephen Leather this one is basically a hostage rescue kept the adrenalin going quite a bit of technical info given with regard to equipment used all in all a darn good read!
on 5 November 2014
I found the book hard to put down. Another great Spider Shepherd story.
In all honesty there have been many very similar stories but despite that ,Stephen Leather writes in a way that keeps you engaged in the hero's plight and enthralled till the end.
on 26 June 2015
As ever spider sherperd adventures do not get any less exciting no matter how many I read. Stephen leather has in my opinion never written a bad book. I enjoyed this tremendously, and all the better for not having to wade through the usual back story about his kid and his boarding school antics! I do agree with other reviewers about the ending though, it is rather abrupt. I would have liked to know how spider stood up to the torture and what if any his injuries were. Maybe Stephen could tell us in the next installment?
on 23 September 2014
Spider must be getting old, getting caught by the enemy.......it would never have happened in the earlier books tut tut. Seriously though another book where Stephen leather dips his toes in the unsavoury world of Islamic terrorism with some grizzly details of the horrors that lie within. Enjoyable and as I've said before once you're hooked you can't put his books down. More of the same please
on 1 June 2015
Mr Leather's writing never has let me down. This adventure number eleven in the series is no exception. It is gripping from start to finish and I wouldn't be so nasty as to tell you any of the story and spoil your enjoyment of a brilliantly written adventure into the life of Dan Spider Shepard. Whatever the price you pay, you will not be wasting your money.

Steve.
on 28 August 2014
The 11th spider shepherd book can be read both as a standalone or part of series. For those who have read the series this volume brings back some of the characters of previous novels both old and recent and is the better for it. My overall sense is this book finished two thirds of way through the story. The ending leaves some interesting points open and has me looking forward to the next one. A spoiler alert is that on the whole there are no major casualties in this book and it follows the formula that side characters take the brunt of the pain. The smoke and mirrors of operations between MI5 and MI6 give an interesting sub plot and one I hope is further explored in future. A good page turner and easy holiday read but could be a bit less comic strip and a tad darker.
I love the Dan (Spider) Shepherd Thrillers.
I think (hope) that I have read them all by now.

The characters are believable, the plots are believable and the writing is good.
Keeps me interested from start to finish.

Anyway, I hope that this review is helpful in some way when making the decision.
on 18 January 2016
Brilliant! Couldn't put it down. As usual Dan "Spider" Sheperd is in the thick of it. Lots of action going on, and had me gripped from the start. Sometimes you get a book where you have to force youself to finish it, not so with tis one! Loved it!