on 7 November 2013
Whether you're a complete novice or an expert, whisky tasting is all about appreciating the distinctive qualities of different malts (and, on occasion, blends!) and this book offers a really good way of comparing and appreciating them. I've been building up my own collection for a while now and this gave me some really good ideas about which ones to try alongside each other and what new additions might complement what I already have. Having said that, this book would also be great for complete beginners - the author organises the whiskies into 'flights' of four, so you can buy this book, find four whiskies which work brilliantly together (and work particularly well with, for example, a particular kind of food) and, hey presto, you can get your friends over and have a PROPER tasting session. Even better, the author doesn't buy into the pretentiousness that often surrounds whisky - it's certainly not the case that the most expensive ones are always the best, and the author is very clear about that! This is a great place to start whether you have plenty of money to splash around or if you're on a really tight budget. So treat yourself to some really, really good whisky - but make sure you're spending your money wisely first! This is highly recommended.
on 10 November 2013
Some whisky guides can be prescriptive about the "right way" to do things - the focus here is where it should be, on enjoying the whisky. There is a recommended method to get the most from the whiskies, but at no point are you made to feel guilty if you prefer something different. Not only was the background information really interesting, but I kept laughing out loud while reading the guide - the author comes across as an engaging and amusing person, who it would be great to share a whisky (or four) with. The flights are also well thought out and described - my only criticism is that I may well be spending more money on whisky in future, as this guide has made me want to taste them all!
on 8 November 2013
A witty and unpretentious guide to getting the most out of your dram. Mazur wants us to lose the anxiety of trying to find the flavours we've been told are there, and just enjoy the experience. Sounds like the right approach to me. Now, time for a Speyside Flight...
on 3 November 2013
A delightful book, full of insights into whiskies. The author clearly knows his stuff. I really enjoyed the groupings of whiskies into 'flights', which have themes ranging from 'The Speyside Flight' to 'Peat Road' to 'The Cigar Flight'.

This book is well-written, full of interesting facts and has given me quite a few ideas on how to expand my whisky collection. Recommended!