on 7 July 2012
If it is the history of comics you are after then this is a good inclusion. Well illustrated and the textual information is fairly accurate. It seems to tie up quite well with other publications on this medium. I particularly liked the art paper upon which the illustrations are printed because there seems to be very little loss of detail and this is of course important if you are a collector of comic ilustrations.
on 21 January 2010
A good book, lavishly illustrated and pleasently nostalgic for those of a 'certain age'.

It's also - on some levels (and as we don't all have ready access to all of the source material) - an important historical document.

Bought one for myself and liked it well enough to buy more as gifts at xmas.
on 8 December 2012
Every now and then a book comes along that simply blows you away. I am, as many of you will know, a comic addict. I was six years old when the first issue of Lion comic appeared, and eight when my favourite, Tiger, first appeared. I don't recall being that young, but I was ooked on both of these titles in preference to Eagle right from the start. A year or two after Tiger I was lucky enough to get the job of marking up the papers, comics and magazines for the delivery boys in my local newsagents, and got to see all of them the day they arrived. I have never lost my love for Lion and Tiger - for me they outclassed Eagle in every way, but particularly in respect of the stories. I don't profess to being particularly fond of war stories, although I have mentioned before that I used to go out and buy the books after seeing the films, such as REACH FOR THE SKY, THE DAM BUSTERS, and CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE. I might have paid less attention to the war stories in Lion and Tiger than to, say, the school and the sports adventure stories, but I would have read them. What is so brilliant about this wonderful book is the way the author(s) have done their research and the brilliant choice of illustrations that enhance and compliment the text, which is utterly compelling and very readable. Highlights for me are the illustrations - the way the first magazines contained photo-realistic illustrations that have the quality of classical art training, and then gradually the comic strip artists began to take over, culminating in the profusion of mostly Italian artists in the golden age comics, whose depictions of allied and German/Japanese fighting machines and aircraft are so brilliantly accurate. The commentary is seamless - some of the illustrations are a page or so before the corresponding text crops up, but that doesn't matter - what matters is the quality of the text, and it is absolutely superlative. I wish Adam and his co-workers would now produce a history of girls' comics - they've done such a fantastic job on the boys, although this is only one aspect of boys' comics, of course, and they could well have a boys' school stories in comics project lined up for all I know! The mock-up of a "finest" boys' war story comic at the end is simply inspired. If you only read one book about boys' comics, make it this one! This review appears in the Christmas issue of Books Monthly [...]
on 17 April 2012
Brings back so many childhood memories. I can remember rushing to the shops to pick up the latest version of many of the comics featured in this book. This was all adventure to me, the horror of actual war did not come into it, it was just fantastic reading.
on 10 May 2013
very well researched and a great read. would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in old comic style for books
on 15 July 2014
A fantastic book, arrived on time in excellent condition - my son loves it!
on 13 November 2015
BEAUTIFUL ARTWORK AND A GREAT READ,PROPAGANDA AT IT'S MOST ATTRACTIVE
on 24 October 2015
Book arrived quickly really good condition enjoyed reading it
on 16 December 2015
All that I hope it would be
on 1 April 2015