Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Seven Samurai [DVD] [1954] forum

What's the best Kurosawa film?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2011 17:44:05 GMT
I'm new to Kurosawa films, but have started my journey with Seven Samurai, which I love. Which other Kurosawa films would people recommend? I am looking for something broadly similar in tone to S.S.

Thank you folks.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 14:35:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2011 14:36:14 GMT
puto says:
I would surgest Akira Kurosawa - The Samurai Collection [DVD] all 5 or these films are great.

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 17:45:28 GMT
Thank you puto :-)

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 03:49:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2012 03:51:49 BDT
A. P. HERN says:
try HIGH AND LOW, DRUNKEN ANGEL, STRAY DOG and THE BAD SLEEP WELL. All crime films, theres more to kurosawa than samarai's, also try IKURU which is a great melodrama. THRONE OF BLOOD which is my favourite, his version of Macbeth. THE HIDDEN FORTRESS is a good one it is not too demanding and is really enjoyable. RAN is excellent and his final materpiece. DERSU UZALA is flawed but still a decent film, although it was a massive failure.

Posted on 25 Jan 2014 23:35:25 GMT
mirobola says:
I was gripped by YOJIMBO from the low shot at the start when the scruffy hero swaggers along the country road, hitching his clothes. through the violence and his cunning in the village playing one group against the other. There are the street confrontations by the gangs which became familiar in westerns and the undertaker busy making the (here) tub shaped coffins. Then in all the violence there is his kindness in saving the young couple. The section where he is hiding under the floor boards half dead is powerfully filmed. This was the first film where I saw relentless rain which could chill me just to see it. Then of course the end where he stomps off into the countryside and any woman would be racing after him pleading to come too, even knowing that it would not really be a good idea.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  2 Nov 2011
Latest post:  25 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions