What do you think i should read while i wait for ADWD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2010 19:47:52 GMT
I cant decide what to read next while i wait for a dance with dragons, so was hoping that if i tell you the books ive enjoyed, then perhaps some kind soul might be able to help me by suggesting something. i loved the 'crown of stars' series by kate elliot, the 'wheel of time' by robert jordan, for the aes sedai chapters rather than the battles, (and i loved 'new spring'), 'the orkon' series by tom arden (except for book 4, which i just didnt get), and most of the robin hobb series. Thanks for your help.x

Posted on 2 Feb 2010 00:34:26 GMT
D. Leirer says:
Raymond E Feist,

Start With magician, and go chronologically up to the end of the serpent war... Its very good.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2010 07:03:21 GMT
Thanks for replying. I have read Feist, but didnt find him that engaging, ive got the servant, mistress, daughter of the empire books, and read the magician and a darkness at sethanon , thought they were a bit blokey, x

Posted on 5 Feb 2010 12:13:22 GMT
H. Jones says:
lol stay away from David Gemmell then!! Umm I have no idea, I've just started reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, looks really good so far. I haven't really got a ton of experience with fantasy as I've mostly stuck to a few select authors I really like (Hobb, Gemmell, Feist's Riftwar saga and George RR Martin) but have been disappointed with Steven Erikson and J.V. Jones (might actually give Jones another try someday).

Stephen King's Dark Tower series was very good on the whole, a bit more post-apocalyptic/western vibe in places but still really good Fantasy... thats only if you can stand Stephen King though! Tad Williams is supposed to be good as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010 21:33:02 GMT
I dont have masses of experience either, skullduggery (i love the skullduggery pleasant books too), and i hope youl be kind enough to let me know what you thought of Joe Abercrombie please. Ive read most of the writers you have, so il try your recommendations, except for stephen king, boh-horing, lolx

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2010 20:41:35 GMT
C. Jones says:
Have you tried Anne McCaffrey's Dragon rider books I love them they are fab.
Kim Harrison also does a great series starting with Dead Witch Walking book shops have it listed in the horror section due to it having vampires in it, but it reads more like Fantasy to me due to the other Races involved in the story. Its very good.
I also found the Dragonlance saga's a good read start with "Dragon of Springs Dawning" its very funny such a good read.

Posted on 9 Feb 2010 22:45:18 GMT
Miss J. Eyre says:
If you like Robin Hobb and George RR Martin try Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion - it's in a similar league with great characters and plot.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2010 08:40:44 GMT
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, im definitely getting 'The curse of Chalion', as it looks like my kind of thing. Has anyone read 'the Bone dolls twin' series? X

Posted on 16 Feb 2010 10:18:45 GMT
K. Floyd says:
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Dragons feature. Thousands of pages to read and you'll need them if you're waiting for ADWD.
Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy? Excellent. Hope it's not too 'blokey' for you.
Urge you to try David Gemmel's Drenai saga - you won't regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2010 23:16:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Feb 2010 23:17:03 GMT
H. Jones says:
I would second the Drenai saga (love David Gemmell's work), but thats always come across as a very 'blokey' to me, hence why I suggested otherwise (maybe thats why I got the only -1 in this discussion??... either that or because i was dissapointed with Erikson, wish people would say why instead of just leaving negative feedback ¬¬)!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2010 20:57:20 GMT
a fan says:
I found that although the plot was interesting I was distracted from it by slightly lazy English, I disliked the copious amount of swearing.

Posted on 3 Mar 2010 17:46:05 GMT
you really should try Tad Williams's Memory Sorrow and Thorn quadrilogy. just been re-released last year - fantastic, but slow to start.
if you don't like blokey - steer clear of gemmell - its almost all battles and 'heroic' fantasy - opposite to GRRM and his political high fantasy.
here is my other recommend - Jennifer Fallon's Wolfblade, Warrior and Warlord series - this is exactly the same sort of story as the song of ice and fire.
political throne-stealing, outrage and subversion. loads of backstabbing and genuine, realistic and different characters, and the plot is fantastic. one of my favourite series after ice and fire
please don't make the mistake of worrying about a female author - you read Robin Hobb and liked her so you shouldn't have a problem - but some people turn their nose up for no reason.
anyway - your gonna read a couple of hundred books if your waiting for dragons...

Posted on 14 Mar 2010 13:33:06 GMT
Dave says:
I must say I have read the first two of Steven Eriksons series the malazan book of the fallen and I have really enjoyed it. It can get a little over complicated and the characters, of which there are many are not really developed-yet, I know alot of threads are left open to be resolved in a couple of books time. Its a series you have to stick with, and I have every intention of doing so.

T Andersen:- I might have a look at Jennifer Fallon. Seems interesting.

I agree people are going to read an awfull lot of books long before we see 'Dance' Its a pity, I wish I never started the series.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2010 23:17:51 GMT
Richard B says:
In my opinion the all out master of the fantasy epic is Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series. Don't be put off by the size of series, just try the first "The Eye of the World" and go from there. I was brought up reading Tolkien and have read the majority of authors listed above, some are better than others and many are pretty light weight; I think Robert Jordan beats them all hands down.

Posted on 24 Mar 2010 13:21:19 GMT
Dave says:
I wouldn't call Jordan the all out master of fantasy epic he was certainly right up there, but in a different way to many others. I find Steven Erikson to be absolutely outstanding his Malazan book of the fallen series is top knotch stuff. He leaves alot of threads open for resoultion at a later stage his characters are very slowly developed. The whole series seems to be plotted very well, there are so many stories happening in a huge world set years and years apart it can only be called epic. Jordans wheel of time is exccllent too but its nothing like the malazan book of the fallen. Two amazing series two very different styles and stories.

Just finished part one of Jennifer Fallons Wolfblade Warrior and Warlord trilogy if you liked a song of ice and fire......buy this series its excellent reading. You won't regret it.

Posted on 22 Apr 2010 11:01:27 BDT
Matt P says:
Song for Arbonne, Lions of Al-Rassan or Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay are all great reads
Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon is good too

but I think I generally read more "blokey" stuff (Steven Brust, Roger Zelazny, Glen Cook and David Gemmel)

I used to like the Wheel of Time series, up until about book 5, but then everything just slowed down too much and I stopped at book 9. Got tired of the dress descriptions, and people pulling their plaits when they were angry :)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2010 20:03:49 BDT
This is an ideal time to revisit the earlier works of George R R Martin, because there's an extra special offer on his official website right now. If you spend $100 on his old books he will personally sign and give you an old calendar from 2009, ABSOLUTELY FREE. A chance in a lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2010 21:12:05 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Jul 2010 15:56:50 BDT]

Posted on 2 Aug 2010 18:38:40 BDT
flatknees says:
of the same genre i couldn't recommend Joe Abercrombie's 'First Law' trilogy more.. very interesting, multifaceted characters with what i think of as a new take on the war/fantasy genre.. very gritty

Posted on 10 Aug 2010 14:37:20 BDT
A. Emery says:
Given how many times the release date has slipped, and is still slipping, I would say you have time to read the whole of the British Library.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2010 09:10:44 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Sep 2010 09:08:52 BDT]

Posted on 1 Sep 2010 17:17:07 BDT
I'm currently re reading the wheel of time series and they are a fantastic read if a little long. However, my favourite read of all time are the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Although they are not strictly Fantasy Fiction novels, the story of Arthur, Merlin, Lancealot etc and the era it is set (medieval times) give it that feel. Read these books and you will never look back!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2010 10:07:33 BDT
sam32 says:
I've heard from 2 or 3 sources that Martin has been diagnosed with alzheimers, and that this is why he can't finish ADWD.....I hope it's no more than a rumour but has anyone else heard anything?

Posted on 2 Sep 2010 16:30:19 BDT
I think the delay of ADWD is due to the fact A Game of Thrones is being turned into a TV series. I reckon George will have a heavy influence on the set and maybe this new project may have restricted or diverted the time he has available to him to finish ADWD.

Posted on 9 Sep 2010 21:34:55 BDT
Sands says:
I too have read a fair number of the author's mentioned but could not get into Joe Abercrombie's slow pace - too boring for me but I did enjoy all Robin Hobb and Raymond Feist.
Another author no one has mentioned is Elizabeth Moon for the Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy and related novels.
Also currently reading Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, which is quite different - dragons in real history.
Any more authors would be appreciated by me too.
We must remember isn't this only book 5 of the proposed 7 - we could be waiting a long long time for this series to be concluded at the rate of writing.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  37
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  25 Jan 2010
Latest post:  24 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 12 July 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (643)