Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2004
Have you ever read an inspiring 'self-help' book or heard a tremendous motivational speaker that made you want to make significant positive changes in your life? When you tried to implement those changes, did you notice that they were temporary at best, and that you eventually fell back into the same self-defeating patterns that held you prisoner in the first place?
Helmstetter rightly points out that the majority of information that our subconscious mind receives, from both external and internal sources, is negative. At any time within our subconscious, three negative thoughts are fighting one positive thought. Not knowing right from wrong, our subconscious chooses to believe the most dominant thought pattern. Unless we feed more positive messages to our subconscious, we become a prisoner to negative thought patterns.
This book reveals a simple way to overcome the onslaught of negative thought by literally feeding positive thoughts into our subconscious through Self-Talk. More than just affirmation statements, Helmstetter shows how to get specific and attack problems at their source.
This book will serve you well by itself, and will be even more effective as a catalyst to help you apply success principles from other books and speakers. This simple concept of Self-Talk will allow you to take success principles that are common knowledge, and convert them to common practice.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2011
This book is a classic .It is easy to read ,inspiational and very easy to put the idea into practice and does not require the usual 20 minutes at dawn !! If you have read many self help books you will know what I mean !!It is an old book so a little quaint in the lingo but that does not detract from the simplicity of the message .Wish I had bought it years ago and I will order another couple of copies to give away .
on 11 October 2001
I came across Shad Helmstetter after I started an Amway business and started going to IBS seminars. I can honestly say that this book has had a more profound effect on me than any other book I have ever read. Its message is so simple and yet very few people actually do what he recommends. If you have anything in your life that you are unhappy about and want to change, read and study this book, apply the knowledge and your life will change - I know because mine has.
on 25 January 2006
Having read many a self-help book I would say this is the killer. It is simple but brilliant. If you want to get your negative stuff sorted then get this book!
on 17 September 2011
i have no issues with giving this book 5 stars - however it's so padded out - stupidly so!

i personally didn't realise how my negative self talk was affecting me until i read this book. for those of you who are struggling with the often very poor nlp books on the market, this book will defintely help - it's so simple, and very simple to implememt - it's just very fustrating that the author pads it out so badly! it could be at least 100 pages less. however the reader will gain a lot from the context - weirdly - highly recomended! thumbs up.
on 21 October 2007
I had read quite a few positive thinking books now.

I was interested to see the writer ask Why do we need more positive thinking books to be written if the ones which already exist are so good?(or words to that effect) so I had to read on.

I felt that the best parts of this book were "Levels of Self Talk" which teaches you the different types of thinking and communicating that you have with yourself and more importantly the "Self Management System".

The book has taught me why positive thinking and talking can dramatically impact on your life. It is a concept I never really understood and most positive thinking books encourage us to think and speak in a positive manner, tell you the effects but dont actually tell you why you should and how your mind works.

Trying to stay positve....... I felt that the book was worth buying for the 2 chapters I have mentioned alone. I felt that in some of the other chapters there were some personal views, which may or may not gain acceptance from some of the leading professionals. I felt also that, in the other chapters there was a lot of padding out.

I would definitely reccomend this book. I am going to see what else this writer has written and will go on to buy some more!.
on 4 April 2001
After just reading a few pages of this book I started to notice the sheer volume of 'negative talk' that I hear - both from myself and others. Most of this kind of talk is nothing more than a habit built up over the years but by first recognising it and then changing it, you can get a whole new image of yourself.
The book gives you instructions of changing that negativity in many ways. If you're someone who doesn't have much time you can just stick to talking to yourself silently but if you want to pursue it more, the book has in-depth instructions for writing your own scripts and producing audio tapes.
on 29 August 1999
This is the first book that I have found which doesn't focus on the cliched messages which most self help books dish out, but actually talks to you in a language that you understand and that makes a difference. It really tells it like it is! I have used the ideas in this book and they do work. They are easy to use and explained simply. There are no false promises - this book does exactly what it says it does and it seems to be geared to real people who have other commitments in their lives. I have read a lot of self-help/ psychology books and this is one of the few that really made a vivid difference. I have already managed to get three other people to buy it and I reccommend that you do the same .It will work.
on 7 February 2000
Like most of the people on this page I have read many, many self-help books. By any shadow of a doubt this is one of the Best. You realise just how much negative nonsense is internalised and made true about yourself. This book helps to counter balance that. The principles it uses are simple and the the exercises are straight forward, all it requires from you is a bit of discipline. This is one of the few books that clearly shows that in order to improve your self-esteem (or any other goal) externally you have to have achieve the goal internally by talking to yourself in the right way. I recommend this book to everyone.
on 12 December 2010
This is one of the best self help books that I have ever read - and I have read a few. The book basically states that we all talk to outselves all the time (whether we realise it or not) and instead of telling ourselves what we can't do, why we should start telling ourselves what we can do. The best thing about the book is the explanation of how self talk and lead to actions - postive actions. The book is very easy to read and the author explains the reasons for self-talk very clearly. The book is very logical and gives practical guidance on self talk. The author helps you to develop your own self talk as well as giving some great examples of positive affirmations. Some books can be too vague about positive thinking but this book is different because it is logical, practical and very specific with great guidance which is extremely helpful and easy to continue even after you finish the book. A brilliant book!!