on 18 May 2007
I was astounded at how badly edited this book was for its so-called UK edition. I have read other American pregnancy books which weren't re-written for a British audience, and which turned out to be far more helpful and easier to read.

Apart from the constant focus on what can potentially go wrong, the assumption is very much that you will choose your obstetrician (on the NHS?!), and that midwife care is the exception, rather than the norm, which really doesn't fit in with the typical British pregnancy experience. Add to that the many references to American institutions, drug names etc, and the whole thing just starts to become irritating after a while. So I'm sorry to say that I would not recommend this book to anyone. Unless they were having their baby in the USA, and medicalised scaremongering was what they were looking for in a pregnancy book...
on 13 December 2005
This was the book I relied upon throughout both my pregnancies. It was incredibly helpful, up-to-date and informative and I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to know every relevant detail. (For those who don't you can dip in as you like as it is extremely well-indexed.) Otherwise, you can read month-by-slow-month as your pregancy runs its course and understand what your body (and baby) is going through.
on 22 August 2007
I can't believe some of the poor reviews this book has received!

I bought this book when I was pregnant with my first child and found it an invaluable resource. It's set out in chapters based on monthly development, has "Q & A" columns which discuss all types of symptoms and concerns and has sections on nutrition, tests and exercise. It also has an exhaustive index, which makes it easy to find the information you are looking for.

Some reviewers have criticised this book for being negative, but I didn't find that to be true. There are chapters on what could go wrong, but I thought it was reassuring that issues such as miscarriage and birth defects were being sensibly addressed and not being glossed over.

I liked this book so much that I bought the 2 follow ups: The First Year and The Toddler Years.
on 10 July 2009
I found this book outdated and irrelevant as a UK reader. It places far too much importance on silly things like following a faddy 80's style diet and is peppered with confusing US style language about Obstetrics, which is not a service we use in the UK unless there are serious pregnancy complications.

As for people thinking that the diet in this book is responsible for their baby passing the APGAR test, (Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, Respiration; performed to ensure the baby is alive and well), I find that completely absurd.

I binned this book because I didn't have the heart to take it to the charity shop and waste anyone else's time.
on 5 March 2008
Like a number of other reviewers I found this book too negative, too American and, despite the focus on all that can go wrong, it didn't actually deal with my pregnancy related complications.

Thankfully, a friend lent me her copy of Dr Lesley Regan's "Your pregnancy week by week" and I no longer had to refer to "what to expect".
on 6 March 2003
A friend gave me this book and during the entire duration of my pregnancy it has been extremely useful. Don't bother buying pregnancy magazines to try and glean info about your pregnancy questions/worries/aches and pains etc etc - this book is well informed and knowledgeable and several times has answered queries I have had. It tells you what to expect during each month of pregnancy - and has been correct every time in my case, answering questions and soothing worries, and helping me to enjoy my pregnancy.
Buy this book and you will find it is the only book you need!
on 24 July 2004
I had heard good things about the "What to Expect. . . " series, but was very nearly put off buying it by the reivew on here saying it was awful and scare-mongering and depressing. Then I browsed through it in a book shop and was so impressed I bought it at the full price instead of waiting for the Amazon discount. So, thanks a lot to that reviewer!
I found this book really reassuring,it goes through month by month with what your body and the baby are doing, and deals with all the silly mad little worries I have as a first time Mum. There is also a big section on the things that can go wrong - something lots of pregnancy books gloss over. You don't need to read that section if you don't want to, but I found it interesting whenever I was starting to worry that strange pain might the the start of a miscarriage. Reading the section on miscarriage made me realise it was nothing like!
It's a bit American, but bearable, and very down to earth and practical. I have just ordered "What to Expect the First Year" now that this baby is so near to arriving.
on 28 April 2003
This book truly is a bible for pregnant mothers! If you're only going to buy one book relating to pregnancy, this has to be it! There's no messing around, the chapters are done according to the month you're in, and each one is laid out in a similar format, so you can check how you may be feeling emotionally and physically, as well as having an idea of what to expect from the check-ups. Another thing I found really useful was the glossary at the back - no matter what you look up, no matter how silly or irrelevant it may seem to you at the time, you can find information on it in the book. It takes the mystery out of pregnancy and to me it's been a real companion! Several of my pregnant friends have the book also and have commented on how good it is, while those who don't have it are going to buy it, having compared it to the ones they had.
on 17 December 2002
This is the most practical and easy to read pregnancy book I have read so far. Well structured and well written, it provides useful practical information without too much scientific jargon. I especially recommend the nutritional guidelines ; this is the BEST, most practical and easy to follow guide to good nutrition for pregnant women I've come across. It not only stresses the importance of good nutrition (all pregnancy books do), it also helps you achieve it through a detailed list of foods, portions and ways to combine them. Invaluable! (Future mothers please note the importance of increased protein intake : 80-100 grams of protein per day, every day, are vital to you and your baby!!!)
After an almost fatal first pregnancy, I'm pregnant again and happy to be so. This book is great help in all respects.
on 26 June 2006
This is an excellent book. I am writing this review because I am rather annoyed by the reviewer who does not recommend this book for people who worry. People who worry frequently want as much information as possible and this book is excellent as it has everything in one place. For my first pregnancy I read most of the pregnancy books, bought or borrowed. This is my second pregnancy and I am going to read this one book only. I agree that its a tad medicalised but its great if you have any niggling question or worry. If you need an answer to your question this is the place.