Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 May 2012 08:30:29 BDT
Andy R says:
I am looking for some basic advice/suggestions. Just received this tablet and it is the first time I have had such a device or used apps. I thought came with a lot of apps installed but there was only a few. ( it did not come from Wendy Lou) Anyway what apps should I first download? Do I need to install a downloader app first?

Posted on 18 May 2012 09:27:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2012 09:31:51 BDT
J. Parnell says:
If your tablet has play store on it (google play) you are good to go regards downloading apps, but you will need to make an account, you will be prompted to do this the first time you use the store.
You need to tell us a little more before we can advise on which apps to get. What are you wanting to do? Play games, to watch catch up tv, videos, keep in touch with people?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2012 11:25:56 BDT
Andy R says:
Thanks for response. I would like to use Skype, read PDF files, read & edit MS docs, get the weather, use a 3g connection.
That would do for a start.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2012 11:27:37 BDT
Andy R says:
Oh, and find where Google maps would be on it.

Posted on 18 May 2012 11:48:57 BDT
J. Parnell says:
Well you need to install the skype app, if you tap the play store icon on your tablet it will open up the store, there will be a search bar at the top, just type in skype and it will take you to the app, tap the install button and it will download and install, it will also create a short cut on your tablet. Same for google maps, and weather apps just type it into the search bar.
As far as office applications go, I'm probably not the best one to ask, but I have heard good things about kingsoft office, there will be a description of what it can do when you search for it, play store will also throw up some alternatives.
3g I'm pretty sure you will need a dongle for.

Posted on 18 May 2012 11:59:40 BDT
J. Parnell says:
Oh you might also want to install drop box :)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2012 16:04:06 BDT
Hungry Joe says:
I'm not sure that Kingsoft Office can look at .RTF files. Doesn't say on the list.

Posted on 18 May 2012 16:26:14 BDT
DC says:
You might want Google Drive. Gives 5GB of storage, can handle office documents and convert PDFs and allows files to be stored offline as well as in the cloud.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is available free.
QuickOffice works but costs.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 20:28:40 BDT
Tara h says:
DC I know this is random what you seem to know what your talking about when it comes to the tablet..... I need your help, bought this for for partner and he is obsessed with draw something so I hot the tablet but it is not allowing me to download it as it doesn't let me due to Unknown MID? Please help if you can

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 20:52:52 BDT
Bald Paul says:
Assume you have gone into Google Play and tried to search for it and found it and tried to do the install from there? If so and it complains at that point then it sounds like you need to install the "market fix". Check out this discussion from the previous version of this tablet http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anyone-Tried-Google-Compatible-Asian/forum/Fx1DBIDSXCYCEJH/TxRYQRVUAGVOV9/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B006M07X34

What you will end up doing is fooling the Play app market into thinking you have a Samsung Galaxy and it should then work.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 21:49:48 BDT
Tara h says:
Hey Paul, thank you for that but i tried all of that but got completely confused and think i may have botched it up, i can downlode fb, goole and everything accept Draw Something apparently can show video in this country .... and also unknown MID i dont understand at all

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 09:40:31 BDT
DC says:
The developer sets the requirements a device needs for each app. These requirements could include screen resolution, memory, processor and virtually any other element of hardware.

Given that the device is rooted there are apps out there that can help you tweak settings to fool Play Store into allowing you to install some apps. Paul has pointed to a discussion.

Interestingly both the free and paid for versions claim they will work on my device. It is possible that I have tweaked something. I have temporarily dabbled with changes to the DPI (dots per inch) on the screen so that may be it. I used the "LCDDensity for Root" app but as I say only temporarily. I think I set it as 130dpi. As I remember 120dpi caused a problem. I am now back at the default with is 150dpi if memory serves.

I have not tried downloading Draw Something. Not something I want but I might test it when I get a few minutes.

btw Never profess to knowing what I talk about. I just give an opinion and others can decide whether to ignore or not. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 09:43:29 BDT
DC says:
The device is not certified to work with Google Play. The manufacturers have put enough of the Play Store api into the device to "sort of" make it work.

You'll find some paid for apps can be purchased but DRM restrictions will prevent them from running. The the topic
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paid-apps-that-wont-work/forum/Fx294GHRTV9G3NM/TxOBRMW51MHDGN/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B007V5XL94
for some details.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 16:22:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012 16:35:49 BDT
R. Perrett says:
I downloaded the free OpenOffice app, I haven't used it yet on the tablet, but I use it extensively on my laptop, it's a brilliant word processing system & it's free!! I haven't paid for any apps but I've downloaded dozens of free ones, they all seem to be working ok with me. I wonder if the device that Andy R has is actually the same one that comes from Wendy Lou. Still if it's an Android 4.0.3 it should be able to download apps ok. For very good operating instructions you should download the Adobe Acrobat link that I listed under 'Operating Instructions' in this forum, (the 1st one is the best) robinp.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
NATPC M009S RTB ULTIMATE 7" 16GB Capacitive Android tablet PC - Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)- now with DOUBLE storage (16GB) and DOUBLE system ram (1GB) for ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE - WiFi - Compatible with BBC iPlayer
NATPC M009S RTB ULTIMATE 7" 16GB Capacitive Android tablet PC - Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)- now with DOUBLE storage (16GB) and DOUBLE system ram (1GB) for ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE - WiFi - Compatible with BBC iPlayer by NATPC
3.9 out of 5 stars   (407)