- Visit our Western Digital Store to see the full range of Western Digital products.
Image not available for
My Passport For Mac – smaller, smarter and Mac-ready
The world's most popular portable drive is now smaller and smarter than ever, with automatic, continuous backup software and password protection. If you prefer to use Apple TimeMachine that's no problem – it works with that too.
Powered directly from the USB port on your computer no separate power supply is needed, though an optional cable is available for the few computers that limit power from the USB port. Featuring a USB 2.0 interface for maximum flexibility this version of the My Passport drive is specially formatted for Macs, compatible with Apple Time Machine and is plug-and-play ready for Mac computer users, making your data transfer and backup a smooth and easy experience.
WD's smallest portable drive ever
WD is an expert in portable storage, so they designed a smaller, high-quality integrated USB hard drive inside this stylish package, making it the perfect choice for Mac users on the go. It also features WD SmartWare software that acts as a visual control centre for all your data, plus password protection security and 256-bit hardware-based encryption.
Mac-ready, password protected and featuring
WD SmartWare software. View larger.
WD SmartWare - see your life safe in one place
Protect your data automatically and relax in the knowledge that your data is secure. Automatic, continuous backup will instantly make a second copy whenever you add or change a file. Visual backup displays your content in categories and shows the progress of your backup, letting you see your backup as it happens.
Lost files can be brought back effortlessly with the WD SmartWare software, allowing you to retrieve your valuable data to its original location whether you've lost all your data or just overwritten an important file. What's more, you can customise your backup, set your drive's security, run diagnostics, manage the power settings and more from the WD SmartWare control centre, as well as gaining peace of mind knowing that your data is protected from unauthorised access or theft with password protection and 256-bit hardware-based encryption.
WD SmartWare's visual control centre lets you
backup, retrieve and secure your files.
Backup software you'll really use – five great reasons to love it
1. It's easy - Data backup can be a chore, but it's your family photos, your movies, your music - your life - and it's important to protect it. So we made WD SmartWare extra easy because we really want you to use it.
2. You can see your life safe in one place - See your content displayed in easy to understand categories like movies and photos. Watch the progress of your backup as it happens with the instant-feedback colour bars - now you can truly be sure that all your stuff is backed up. A unique visual interface lets you see the drives connected to your computer, and WD SmartWare will automatically scan your computer and find all of your personal files, including e-mail.
Content category gauges show how much information you have to be backed up in each category, and you can even mouse over a category to see a file count. Clicking 'Run Backup' will automatically start WD SmartWare backing up your files, with the category gauges changing colour during the process to show you the backup as it happens. When finished, you'll see a status screen and information about your backup. You only have to do this once - after the first backup your files will be backed up automatically every time you change or add a file.
3. It's always on the job - WD SmartWare is always watching your computer, so when you change a file and save it, create new files, add new pictures, movies, or songs, WD SmartWare will instantly back them up.
4. You can bring back lost files effortlessly - If you ever accidentally delete an important file, or need to get an earlier version of a file, you can find and retrieve it in seconds with this easy-to-use interface. You can restore files and folders by categories (such as photos, music and video), find a lost file with the search function or go back in time to retrieve an older version of a file.
5. You're in control - WD SmartWare software is also a control centre for your external drives. From it you can customise your backup, set drive security, run diagnostics, manage the power settings and more.
For the same great features with added storage capacity, check out the My Passport for Mac 500GB.
I think it does the job, though I've never rebooted from one of its back ups but it constantly disconnects. Read morePublished 29 days ago by Orlando
This product arrived in very good time, was carefully packaged, and is doing the job excellently that it was designed to do.Published on 19 Nov 2011 by Mrs. Debra A. Knight
could not be happier with this item. I needed to reduce my mac to factory settings and with my passport i got all my information back in less than an hour. Very easy to use also.Published on 20 Aug 2011 by sweetpea
very nice bit of kit. seems very easy to use and is a very well made bit. excellent vfm and a relief to have every thing backed up. Highly reccomended.Published on 18 Aug 2011 by phil
I am using this with my Mac. It is easy to use and does exactly what is expected of it. Good product.Published on 28 Jun 2011 by Weezy