on 28 July 2013
ok, so let me be clear. Theres nothing wrong with this collection of short stories.

I got the title when it was on a free listing, and at that price it was worth it.

But.....

If I'd have paid, I would have been disappointed.

The intro mentions the authors love of the Twilight Zone and similar, and though it's obvious that's intention, it just doesn't work for me.

The series of short tales all seem to have that spark of something, that just fizzles out.

I know slot of people will love them, but for me they just didn't do it. I wasn't left shocked, amazed, even baffled. Just left thinking ok, now what.
on 29 December 2013
I was very disappointed by this collection of short stories.

The twists are, by and large, predictable; and the writing itself is poor.

I suspect this book is an example of the vanity press, as I don't think it would have got past an editor and proofreader without extensive changes being made.

The dialogue in particular irritated me, as it was clunky and unnatural in style; not at all the way real people would speak, and so disengaged me from the characters.

The prose wasn't anything special, and was littered with grammatical errors; most notably the author's inability to stick to one particular tense in a sentence. A line might start out in present simple and suddenly change to past perfect continuous, even though there had been no change in location/time of the action.

I love short stories, and when I purchased this collection I had high hopes for something of similar in quality to those produced by King, Gaiman et al, but unfortunately, this fell far short of my expectations.

If the author is indeed a young amateur writer, then I suggest they purchase a good grammar guide, eg Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and pay particular attention to the styles and techniques used by successful authors to produce believable characters and situations. I would also encourage them to forget about vanity publishing. If you're a good writer, a prestigious publisher will eventually accept your submissions.
on 29 March 2013
I wasn't enamoured of this book. rather tame and very few surprises and most of the stories were predictable or just plain stupid,
on 24 July 2013
If this is truly a first attempt I think it's outstanding. Stories long enough without unnecessary detail and all flowed along as easy reading. Maybe not a book for the academic, but great fun and I loved it. Thank you Francis. SadTurnip July ,13
on 4 July 2014
Tedious, cliched, derivative & predictable in the extreme.
Each of the dozen or so stories I trudged through before giving up in despair was reminiscent of some other story I'd read before, all written by far superior ceative talents.
Even the style - or rather, its absence - is trite, lacking in any attempt at creating an atmosphere, surely a vital component in a supposedly 'creepy' story ?
All in all, a dreadfully dull collection. Thank goodness it was free, & therefore only cost me 2 hours of wasted time.
on 22 July 2013
Didnt disappoint. If you like Twilight Zone type stories then this is for you.
Overall, highly recommend it. Hope there is a book 2.
on 5 August 2013
This is a good read original stories not a vampire or werewolf in sight would recommend this look forward to reading more by this author
on 29 May 2013
Fantastic book, brilliant . Highly recommend. Easy to download to our kindle, so stories to hand
Will tell friends and family
on 15 December 2013
Not a bad read and some quite interesting and spooky stories.
A good just before you go to bed read !!!
on 29 December 2014
I love short story collections, and if they are strange and weird then all the better. These were excellent, each one bizarre, each one different. A good read.