Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.49

on 20 March 2004
It's a tiny little book (about 12cm tall by 8cm wide) but it has 256 pages that are absolutely packed solid with text and pictures. It's set out like this:
* list of contents;
* instructions on how to use the book;
* introduction;
* the main body of the book, which covers a comprehensive range of information on cloud types and formation, cloud and sky colours, optical phenomena, precipitation, wind, global climate and more;
* weather records;
* glossary;
* index.
It's clearly written, but slightly technical. The style is more technical than John Lynch's book that accompanied the "Wild Weather" TV series, for example. Even so, it's fairly easy to understand, especially with the glossary resource to refer to at the back. The photographs of clouds and sky are very beautiful, colourful and clear. The satellite images are in grey scale and some are accompanied by weather map diagrams to help explain how to read the photographs - showing high and low pressure areas, cold, warm and occluded fronts and so on.
I've taken to carrying the wee book in my pocket when I go for walks and frequently consult it. It withstands this treatment well because of its sturdy construction and good quality paper. It's very handy. I recommend it to anyone interested in understanding weather and weather forecasting.
As always, Collins Gem book have outdone themselves! This little book presents you with some basic information about the weather, how and why it changes and how clouds (and various other weather conditions) are formed. It then proceeds to describe the various categories of clouds, with very detailed photos, and references to related pages in the book of other cloud types or elements of the sky.

Very easy to read, and the small size makes it fun to carry it around and just try it out wherever you're going.

My only complaint is that it doesn't indicate how to predict weather conditions in the night (such as by looking at the moon and see if there's a halo around it, or if it's a clear sky etc).
on 2 October 1999
This is an excellent pocket sized book to carry around and to get information on the weather straight away!!
on 3 October 2012
So good I bought it 3 times now, kindle and 2 paperback and raved on about it to family.
If you have any curiosity about clouds then this book will help you understand what it is you're looking at and the lovely part about (for me) is that every day there's something different to see,understand and that that bit is free.
And the illustrations on the page and on certain devices that show in colour are glorious.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 March 2013
When I was very young, someone bought me a book on the weather. I remember being fascinated when reading it. I have never seen anything like it since, until I saw this excellent volume and read it. There are some excellent photographs and weather types are explained so that anyone can understand the terms used. I was just as fascinated this time around as I was with the book from my youth. Anyone interested in the weather will enjoy this book.
on 12 October 2012
Cracking little book.
Initially got the kindle version and was so impressed with the concise,simple info decided that I would like one to just have around to stick in my pocket. ( have fantastic sky views from my home and just want to add the kindle pictures from it are beautiful on certain colour reading devices)
Got that,then discovered this tougher version that is more robust to put in a coat pocket and take outside as the first one I bought is paper backed thus more fragile.
So now have 3 and have persuaded relatives that it's worth the investment to buy one as an easy entry into an area of knowledge that can be persued every day just by looking at the sky.
However.....people do look at you sideways when you pull out a little book to check the sky....
on 31 December 2013
One needs to keep book handy
for quick reference as there is a lot of information to try to remember in one read. I have been using mine alongside a basic weather station which is helping to further understand the weather.
on 19 August 2014
Being so small these books are easy to keep to hand at home or carry with you when out and about. Really handy little reference booksyet so much knowledge within.
on 20 October 2012
Nice clean book. Tidy and intack looks as new. Small so you can put it in your pocket to take out as night starts to fall. Will make a nice stocking filler.
on 9 December 2015
Great little book, I already have the paperback of this book and now I have it on my kindle it stops the book getting damaged in my bag