Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Oct 2007 12:42:37 BDT
This game potentially could be the best management game ever, but its way too hard. And why the heck are all my star player morale on poor, Ive won all my first 6 games, (Only because I saved the game so I could replay thhe match in case I lost, I only do this until I get used to the new version). Am I missing something or are other people also having this trouble. Hopefully the fans sites will soon have some info on them as the game gets going to shed some light on what is a very frustrating verion of our beloved football manager.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2007 16:32:09 BDT
H. Pearce says:
Have to disagree, this game isnt any harder than the last few in series, I am Manchester City (having made no new signings) and am second in the premiership only to Arsenal (albeit by 3 points) after 22 matches, I have only lost once and recently beaten Man Utd 3-0 at Old Trafford. Its probably something to do with the tactical system you are playing or just things not going your way...after all in real life even the best teams go through bad patches.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2007 17:37:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2007 17:39:38 BDT
Thing is though a good manager should be able to get a team to play any tactic he wants without it been detrement to the team, thats what I loved about the older versions this seems less forgiving. I will try another set of tactics though see if it does the trick. Thanks for your input by the way. Thats partly why I started this topic to get so people could shre thier experiences so we can max the enjoyment.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2007 16:42:22 BDT
How can you say it is too hard of you save every time you win and reload every time you lose. It is pointless you even buying the game. Just sit at home and pretend you have won every trophy - there is no difference between that and what you are doing. You don't even need a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2007 00:09:16 BDT
To start with I wrote out a sarcastic response to your comments then I started over, unlike your dear self I feel as if I can put my point across without the need of hostility, sarcasm, it really does show a lack of intelligence when someone cant communicate without getting aggresive, shows a real lack of class too, it is a shame when someone doesnt have the wit to offer constructive criticism just a barage of abuse it borders on amusing when you obviously didnt even read properly what I wrote, Maybe you cant read very well, let me reiterate for you sometimes people have problems readings thing clearly the first time around, I ONLY RELOAD WHEN GETTING USED TO A NEW VERSION. Say the first pre season when I get the game then I start playing it for real, when I have familiarised myself with the functions new players ETC, then I start again playing without any reloads. But lets just remember that it is only a game and it isnt reality, and winning trophies on a football manager game hardly precludes from the real thing, pick up a newspaper if your confused what that is.
Warm Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2007 23:06:14 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Apr 2008 12:10:24 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2007 06:43:25 GMT
Graham Crowe says:
it is really a player's personal choice if they want to reload the game, but in my opinion it takes any realism out of playing. If you want to get used to the game you should go a team, perhaps one you dont really care about, for half a season (or play the demo) then once youve got used to it you can start again with your favourites without resorting to cheating - there can be no denying that replaying a game you have lost is cheating. Secondly, changing your tactics SHOULD impact on the game, even great teams struggle if they are not used to playing a certain way. Think of the amount of time the real players spend training together, its no accident they can play passes without looking where their mates are. Thats why some teams struggle in away games or in europe, because they have to adapt their normal style of play and it causes them difficulties!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2007 12:52:30 GMT
C. Hutchings says:
Mr Hatton
You obviously do not appreciate the finer points of football and have no concience. I play 99% to the Lower League Manager rules but don't always start in the bottom leagues. This is the most realistic way of playing. How can you "get used" to a new game or new players, that is a million miles from reality. I see FM as the closest I would ever get to pro management and so the only way to play is as you would manage in real life. You didn't see Martin Jol asking if he could restart the season when he lost or any new manager getting a bedding period where they can getted used to life as a manager! Play it properly or don't bother. That's how I feel. Mr Hatton, you should find employment in a trophy shop, then you can get to the trophies and play your own twisted brand of FM on the shops PC!! Enjoy your own existence.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2007 13:32:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Nov 2007 13:34:54 GMT
Paranoid says:
GPH:

FM8 (if you haven't installed the Beta patch from SI's site) has a closing down issue that means what worked before (FM7 etc) will result in the opposition waltzing through you and scoring almost at will.

Once the full patch is out, your tactics will probably start working again. Until then, you need to:

Tick tight marking on team instructions (but untick individually on strikers and your creative midfielder). Increase team closing down, including central defenders (which you wouldn't normally do). Reduce the tempo and shorten the passing. This will increase performance even if you're in charge of a non-league team. Increase creative freedom, especially on attacking midfielders and strikers. Until the patch, they have more time and space. These measures will ensure more chances and restrict the opponents time on the ball.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2007 01:05:29 GMT
A. Banjoko says:
I like how people think harder is more realistic. Until they become frustrated and start breaking things

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2007 23:28:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2007 23:42:35 GMT
Hatton, you seen a little stupid. What is the point of reloading ever? Stick to watching Seasame Street, it's more on your level.

You seen a little stupid, hmmm, thats a good one. It really had me in stiches. Oh wait, this was a serious post. Ooops my bad.

For the last time guys, read what I said, I only reload when getting to grips with a new game to try out different tactics against different teams so it gives me some thing to play with when i play the game properly. I did state twice now that I only reloaded when I was getting used to a new version and I only play a handful of games. But at the end of day it is a game, not reality its important to define the two I feel. It seems people want to post when they can criticise someone, if you are going to criticise atleast show some intelligence and make it constructive criticism, that goes out to P. Sugden especially the guy thats "seens" to think im a little stupid and C Hutchings who takes the game far too seriously, hey maybe your the guy that was on Talksport when his girlfriend heard him interviewing himself in the kitchen. Like I say, when I reload the game its purely a version related thing not a game related thing, FM doesnt represent the reality of modern football its purely a game for any one to play on their terms they see fit, and if I wish to reload the odd game as I am getting used to a new version thats my perogative to do so, and who the hell are you to judge C hutchings? Its just a game dude, thats all it is. Whether it represents the closest thing to club management or not its as you say yourself millions of light years away from the real thing, but I wont judge the fantasy world you obviously like to baracade yourself in with.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2007 20:26:39 GMT
Big Owl says:
I completely agree with you A. Banjoko, but I'm not one for saying much about that as I'm hardly happy when, after a 4-0 triumph over league favourites Nottingham Forest, they go out and lost 1-4 to Peterborough. But then that's hardly my fault...it was same team, same tactics...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2007 12:25:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Nov 2007 18:37:18 GMT
Been playing FM08 with my beloved Col Utd for a couple ofseasons and it is a ridiculously bad game at the moment. We are all in dire need of a full patch as the whole thing is just flawed. Such as the confidence feature, as Col Utd my board expected me to finish in comfortable mid table (?????), to reach the third round of the FA cup (which is automatic of course????) and reach the second round of the league cup.... These expectations are either too high or too low and never change depending on situations (such as drawinga prem teamin the cup compared to a conference side).
Then there's the match engine - atrocious, you're better off being 2 - 0 down with 10 minutes to play as your more likely to get a win than if you're 2 - 0 up! Every corner results in a foul, offside is given in ridiculous cirumstances (ie. when the 'offside' player is behind the ball or is not even close to being involved in play) and some of the passes that defenders put in are ridiculous... Most goals are as a result of mistakes.
Until they patch this awful, awful management 'sim' then I am going back to FM07, and if the patch ain't reall impressive then I might even be forced to try a different game (God forbid)

PS.Just got the patch sortedand the game is soooo much better,got a new game with Thurrock going and everything seems better, oh apart from the fact that I conceded 5 pens in 5 games in a row!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2007 11:35:12 GMT
I have tried the latest patch also and still no improvement. It seem that you can win if you have certain tactics in each game which is really dumb, the great thing about FM2007 is that you put together your own winning tactics, like all good manager do, but it seems in this version you have to find the right tactics that they seem to have decided are the best ones to use for all, which has taken the element out of finding a tactic to suit your players as to finding players to suit a tactic, which is ok when you got lots of cash to throw around. Improvements to the confidence thing needs to altered and the match engine needs to be seriously fixed, I can hardly beleive they have allowed themselves to release a product that is by no means complete that looks and feels more and more like a beta version of what could be potentially a very good game. Thomas Orrock is not the only person who might be looking elsewhere for a new management sim.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2007 20:55:58 GMT
F. SANTOS says:
Guys, I just wanted to say that I think Mr Hatton is an OK person and not stupid at all. I think that if he wants to reload when he loses, he can. If he wants to play zero games in the pre-season, he can. If he only wants to buy Portuguese players, he can. If he only wants to buy players under 17 y.o., he can. If he wants to play with no defenders, he can. If he wants to play with all the players on the left side of the pitch, he can. If he only wants to sign right-footed players, he can. If he only wants to have players with "Crossing" skills above 18, he can. If he wants to try to sack his star players, he can. If he wants to have no assistant manager, he can. If he wants to tell-off his players all the time, he can. If he wants to quit the game and re-format the hard-disk, he can. Etc., etc., etc.. Like he said, this is only a game and, above everything else, it's HIS game. He bought it, he plays it at his place, on his own. So, why should he be stupid?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2007 18:51:31 GMT
anyone ese think F.Santos perhaps didn't need tp put in as many examples as he did? Bottom line is it is wrong. The improvements to the game are not that vast that you need time to get to grips with them. also most of the adjustments are not to do with tactics etc (except for the bugs) they're off the pitch. Just seems a shame to play it, but then fix the results. Is there not any doubt in your mind if you win the league by 3 points, if you've rigged the first 6 games? I cant play like that. im in my 4th season with the mighty gulls, and am still in league two. couldn't be happier, because every player i buy and sell i do off y own back. no spreadsheets, no reloads nothing. It just seems right. But end of the day its your money. knock yourself out

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2007 20:42:51 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2007 10:23:40 GMT
Amen.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2007 09:27:28 GMT
P. Sugden says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2007 21:41:36 GMT
C. Dinnage says:
He plays his game his way. As long as he deos not restart competitve games all the time then it is ok. I restarted some pre seanon games on fm7 ( my first pc Footy sim) just to get used to it. P. Sugden needs to stop careing about hatton and jumping to conclusions like he has no insight or morals because he trys to win a few pre season games by restating them. this discussion has turned into bullying because a few people take there games a bit to seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2007 10:30:37 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2007 10:59:16 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2007 23:10:29 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2007 21:58:18 GMT
Mr. J. Dirom says:
You missed the words 'all doubt' of the end of your Lincoln quotation. I like quotations, too. Here's one chiefly attributable to Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Mister Hatton has the right to play his game whichever way he wants. He also has the right to his opinion, whether you agree with it or not. It does not make him abhorrent (i take it when you wrote 'abore' you meant 'abhor').
My problem with these games are in the content. Football Manager is the Sergei Bubka of the gaming world. Mr Bubka, the pole-vaulter used to further the world record by inches every time, when he could have blasted the record out of site. He did this for money. He got paid every time he broke the record. Why beat it by 2 feet when you can get paid 24 times for breaking it by an inch at a time. That is what Sega is doing. They tweak the game year on year by a little and charge full game price for what is only an update. They should make the game as good as it can be the first time, then cgarge a small fee to download the current teams for the next year.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2007 13:05:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Nov 2007 13:27:31 GMT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  22 Oct 2007
Latest post:  10 Oct 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Football Manager 2008 (PC/Mac)
Football Manager 2008 (PC/Mac) by Sega (Windows XP)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (110)