on 4 November 2013
How can a camcorder this cheap and this tiny be so good? It's far better than we have any right to expect, and if we take away the vast array of clamps, straps, the UWH, two power chargers and interconnect cables, what's left over to pay for the camera? £40 tops I'd say.

The camera works well on roads lit only by my headlamps and this is important as most car accidents occur at night or in poor weather and low visibility. I want visible and audible proof that the accident I'm involved in wasn't my fault.

OK, there are one or two problems. The barrel distortion is there to keep the images sharp at a realistic price-point, but it will upset purists. A firmware upgrade might enable you to have the date displayed as dd/mm/yy rather than always yy/mm/dd but it's a minor point. I like my viewfinder to stay on all the time, yet the camera always reverts to the LCD screen saver mode after switch off - a bit of a pain. The vignetting inside the UWH is just a silly design flaw, but some Mercalli smoothing removes it at a stroke. Later editions of the SJ1000 come with a longer focal length lens, removing this vignetting.

As delivered the camera rather over-sharpens the image, but that's menu tweakable as are a lot of other things. The colour fidelity, exposure tolerance and image sharpness from that tiny lens (working wide open all the time don't forget) is remarkable, and using the supplied HDMI cable the image fills a 55'' LCD telly with ease, and no apologies are needed.
on 20 November 2013
Decent HD Cam, easy to use, with a full array of attachments. The weak point is the waterproof hard case.
The button that allow you to operate the cam through the case broke almost immediately and require a DIY fix.
Good picture quality, not able to test at speed, but looks promising. Be prepared to customise
on 10 August 2014
Brilliant little bit of kit, records lovely full 1080 footage and comes with all the mounts and straps you could ever need. I got a 32GB memory card at the same time so I was good to go straight away. The waterproof case is good to a genuine 30 meters, look on YouTube for footage from scuba diving depths.
on 20 January 2015
This arrived after 3 weeks from china. Instructions were ABYSMAL, and at the time I ordered (29.12.14), it was described as having a 1.5 inch viewfinder. The item I received had NO viewfinder at all!! - just a tiny (little finger nail sized) b/w lcd panel on the top which was so packed with icons, one needed a Sherlock Holmes sized magnifying glass to be able to read it. Having attempted to read the instructions, it appears that the item I got is designed to be used with a smartphone screen acting as a viewfinder via wi-fi, provided the correct app was installed. (needless to say no such app was included, & I was unable to to trace said app on google play, - (dont know if on apple) IT DIDNT MATTER ANYWAY, BECAUSE THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A "SPORTS" CAMERA, & who can use a camera and a phone at the same time whilst on a pushbike or underwater, skydiving etc.??
UPDATE.........NOV 2015 ---PLEASE IGNORE MY REVIEW AS IT IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE CAMERA LISTED ABOVE!!!! THE PICTURE AND SPEC LISTED ABOVE ARE FOR A DIFFERENT CAMERA TO THE ONE I PURCHASED! (SO ARE MANY OF THE REVIEWS HERE.) WHAT ARE YOU DOING AMAZON? ALLOWING A LISTING TO BE BE USED , SHOWING REVIEWS FOR A DIFFERENT ITEM! ? READERS PLEASE IGNORE ALL REVIEWS EXCEPT THOSE LISTING THE ACTUAL ITEM LISTED AT THE TOP OF THE REVIEWS.
on 5 September 2014
Although I bought this 3 or more months ago I hadn't actually used it except to ensure that it all worked etc. It was bought specifically because I knew that I would be going diving on my summer holiday. The first dive was to a maximum of 16.5m and for a few minutes it was fine. I took a short video of my son, then a few fish and a turtle and switched off. I went back to it a few minutes later and the case had filled up with water - needless to say it didn't then work.

I was able to remove the card on the surface and carefully dry it and was able to get the 2 or so minutes of video that I had shot and it was awsesome quality (that is why there are 2 stars not 1) but I was unable to take more videos during my holiday - including a once in a life time experiences in an underwater cavern (a cenote) so I was most annoyed.

So, if you are intending to use it as a sports camera or a dash cam (loads of fixings come with it) it is likely to work well - but be hesitant about taking it diving. Amazon arranged for the money to be credited to my account almost immediately when I complained and I now have to post the item back (they provided a pre-paid label) tomorrow when I can get to the PO.
on 11 March 2014
I use this for cycling to/from work in London. I am very pleased with this camera. The price is amazing, as is the quality of the video.

The video recordings are truly excellent: pin sharp, crystal clear, great colour. It even performs well in low light, eg when cycling under street lights in the dark.

It's small, solid, very easy to use and it is useful to have the LCD playback screen, which you can also use to change settings etc.

There are a couple of irritations. The mounts/attachments are poor and it is quite heavy compared to bullet cameras. This camera is not primarily designed for cycling. The handlebar mount makes the camera shake a lot (though I have narrow tyres at high pressure), which gives very jerky film. You have to use some ingenuity, creative thinking and several cable ties to get a decent mounting on the front of a cycle helmet. It does feel a bit heavy on the helment - especially with the waterproof case on. In the specifications, it is heavier than most bullet cameras.

It's a shame the camera isn't waterproof in itself (several bullet cameras are). It comes with a waterproof case, which I always use... a) to protect from showers obviously and b) because I don't trust the the camera not fall out of it's mount when attached without the waterproof case. It looks quite flimsy, the attachment.

All that aside, this is an absolue bargain. You can work round the mount/attachment problems and the quality of the recordings is, as mentioned before, astonishing.

There's a good online review with video examples at techmoan.com. It's what persuaded me to get this rather than a similarly priced bullet camera: simply because of the quality of the film.
on 19 January 2014
Quick and too the point, a great little camera for the price, lots of features works well under water up to my limit of 20 mtr.
Loads of clips and fittings.
on 22 November 2015
Bought the camera just over one year ago. Camera itself has features and good picture. Waterproof to the extent that the inside of the case always mists up after 10 minutes in the water and I have been nowhere near the advertised depth. Brackets are made of cheap rubbish plastic and most of them have broken now. This seems to made of the cheap Chinese plastics that aren't plastic. Go pro may be more expensive but I feel that it would be far better quality. Disappointed that it did not last longer hence very low star rating. I would not buy from this range of camera equipment again.
on 19 February 2015
Absolute rubbish,claimed 30 m waterproof....a joke,go swimming with it in waterproof case and it leaks,have tried many times now in pool and the sea and leaks and mists up every time
on 23 March 2014
I have now ordered two of these and neither charged!
Cheap old 'too good to be true!' Rubbish..... Don't waste your money on this item!