Format: DVD|Change

on 26 September 2014
I just sent the following to Tony Lee of Simply Media in the hope that he will consider doing series 2, 3 and 4. The more people who send him an email, the better chance he may consider releasing the other series, don't you think?

Hi Tony,
I very much appreciate that Simply Media were able to see fit to release Warship series 1. I am ex-RN and very much enjoyed it in colour (I saw some of the series in B&W while on a Polaris Submarine back in 1973) and using a metal coat hanger out of the forward escape hatch so that we could get a signal.
Anyway, I can see from Amazon reviews that Simply Media have no plans for releasing series 2, 3 and 4, but I would just like to say that this series is so popular with both RN, ex-RN and non-RN personnel that it might be worth your consideration.
Sorry if this is one too many emails from Warship lovers, but I thoroughly enjoyed this series 1 and would really love to see the next series (next three if possible, but I would be happy with series 2 for starters).
yours,
a very appreciative customer who understands that, without Simply Media, we would be still waiting for series 1.
best regards,
Keith Morison
55 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2014
This was an excellent series, and, after some initial viewing of the present set, I can confirm that the transfer is first-rate, with fully acceptable visual and audio quality.

'Warship' when viewed today represents an excellent time-capsule, not least in terms of the naval hardware then in use. (Enthusiasts will welcome footage of the 'Wasp' helicopter in Episode 1). I recall that the storylines were nearly always convincing, and this has been confirmed by my sampling of the current re-issue. The BBC obviously spent a great deal of effort and money on this series, and this is still apparent after forty years.

However, like several other reviewers, my concern lies in the fact that it is by no means certain that Simply Entertainment will also re-issue Series 2, 3 and 4. The captains in the subsequent series were played by Bryan Marshall and Derek Godfrey respectively, each bringing their own ideas of discipline to the running of the ship, and therefore offering the chance for considerable variety in the storylines, especially when comparing the procedures of the two latter personalities to those adopted by Donald Burton in Series 1.

For this reason, I do hope that we will indeed get the remaining series in due course. As others have rightly pointed out, it is not a little frustrating when subsequent series of a quality show do not appear, although much will naturally depend on the sales of the current initial set.
on 20 October 2014
Oh, thank goodness Warship is finally on DVD. So many times I've wanted to see that series again, and it fully lives up to my memories of it. Grown up people - in the Royal Navy. Oh, yes, of course they can be foolish, petty, misguided too, but the general impression is that they take the job they have to do seriously, and by and large they do it well. As I remember the entire series, there were some cracking stories in it, and a life on the ocean wave from the viewpoint of a ship's captain proved to be a blend of seamanship, man-management, the wisdom of Solomon and always diplomacy - with the ratings, the other officers, and the various representatives of other navies, and other countries, as Hero travelled the seas. I doubt anything like this could be made now - too much political correctness diminishing the authority of the officers, and by extension the discipline and competence of the crew. Such a shame. But lovely to have a record like this of other times when we did things differently.
on 20 September 2014
Brilliant; like stepping back in time. Have been waiting 20 years for Warship to be released.

I watched Warship on TV the first time around, I am convinced the series assisted my decision to join the RN from school four years later.

Not having seen any of the series since the original run on the BBC and later serving in the RN; including time on a Leander, other than a few minor inaccuracies relating to naval procedure and protocols I was there back at sea albeit this time aboard HMS Hero.

Can’t wait for the rest of the series to be released.
on 16 September 2014
Was thrilled to see Warship is finally released on dvd. My husband was serving on HMS Phoebe (HMS Hero) at the time of filming and he is seen in several episodes. Hope series 2 3 and 4 will also be released on dvd. Very pleased with the speedy delivery as I ordered a copy late on Saturday and we received it on Monday the day it was released. My husband has watched it non stop. It was lovely to see his old shipmates on film.
Since my initial review I have been in touch with Simply Media who inform me that unfortunately at the present time there are no plans to release any further Series on dvd. Such a shame.
on 20 September 2014
Mr Miller - it is not the BBC you should thank but rather Simply Media who are the ones who have issued this disc not the BBC. Unfortunately SM do not have a very good track record and have a habit of issuing one series only and the remainder never appear. I would not hold my breath in expectation of series 2 coming out. soon. Look what happened to The brothers - they issued series 1 and some 8 years on we are still awaiting the remainig series!
on 16 September 2014
What a blast from the past. I loved Warship when it was first released in 1973 and was delighted to see Series 1 (1973) released on DVD. I hope that Series 2 (1974), Series 3 (1976) and Series 4 (1977) will soon follow on DVD.
on 4 December 2014
This Series of Navy films is really a clasic now. Filmed onboard HMS Phoebe (called Hero) during the 70's it is a brilliant bit of 70's viewing. As an ex serviceman serving in the RN at that time ,it really brings back the banter and comradeship we all had on these little ships. OK the stories can be a bit far fetched, but this series one is well worth watching. I just wish they would also release the others as it is a bit cruel only releasing one series and not the rest.
on 24 November 2014
Just as I remembered it from all those years ago. This has lost none of it's appeal, top quality all the way. I have emailed Simply Media to express my delight at this release and asking they release the rest of the series; everyone please do the same. They were kind enough to respond indicating that their marketing department had been made aware of my request.
on 24 September 2014
Having had all but a few episodes on vhs.it is good to see it once again,I do hope the others are also released.especially the episode beware the sides of Mark.I still don't know what goes into the drink planters rocket.we still have cmdr Alan Glenn and capt Edward Holt.to come.and first lieutenant.James Napier.although he not as good as lt cmdr Beaumont.he had his moments.on edoes island.and the ship to ship rivalry with capt F.( Reginald Calder). Who famously summoned capt Holt to remind them that his navigator drinks spirits in the ward room.all of those and more I do hope are released.but for now there are episodes on this set I have never seen.I give this 5 stars
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse