Customer Discussions > Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free] forum

Want to purchase, but live in Canada. Region?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Nov 2009 03:11:55 GMT
Rene Kiobge says:
I would appreciate any advice on a few things before I am able to purchase this blu-ray. First, will I be able to play this "PAL" format disc on my North American PS3 blu-ray player and Samsung LCD 1080p? From what I have read elsewhere, I believe that the PAL format is irrelevant with HDTV's/ HD format media. Also, what region is this disc? It is not listed anywhere on this site, yet, the UK Planet Earth is regionless. I ask these questions simply because this disc will not be available in North America indefinitely.
Thanks.

Posted on 6 Dec 2009 02:02:56 GMT
The PAL/NTSC designation actually does not apply to Blu-Rays. However, this Blu-Ray is Region B encoded, so it will not play in North American players. That's the bad news. The good news is that it will be airing in the US (and, I would presume, in Canada) in March 2010 on the Discovery channel, and I assume a Region A version will be available soon thereafter. The not-so-good news about that is that the Discovery channel version will be narrated by Oprah Winfrey, rather than by David Attenborough.

Posted on 7 Dec 2009 07:14:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2009 03:59:38 GMT
Yinyue says:
I live in California -- the UK version plays fine in my Region A Bluray player.

I couldn't see anything on the packaging that said indicated it was Region B encoded. (Perhaps the BBC wisely encoded it A,B & C). My US version of Planet Earth also isn't region encoded.

BTW, the total cost for this (incl. shipping) was $57 -- only $2 more than the suggested US price.

Posted on 8 Dec 2009 15:30:51 GMT
Rene Kiobge says:
Thanks for the responses, even though Amazon doesn't list the region, BBC certainly does and this came as bad news to me. Life has been airing in Canada actually much earlier than the apparent date in the US, we've gotten through quite a few episodes on the Discovery channel, with David Attenborough I might add.

In regards to the second response, I encountered a similar situation for many people who order Blu-rays from the UK, where they are able to play supposed region B discs with a region A player. Taking that into consideration, I may just go ahead and purchase it. It'll be a while before it goes for sale in North America, and I'm not keen on waiting that long. Let alone the potential prospect of having Oprah Windfrey narrate the disc, that would be tough to listen to.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2009 16:46:43 GMT
Yinyue says:
If you get it, let us know if it works. I looked on the BBC shop site and it says that the Bluray is encoded for region 2. Well, technically, Blurays are region encoded as A, B or C, not 1-9. So I bet the information is incorrect.

I'm sure Oprah just can't say 'grass' quite the way David Attenborough does...

Posted on 9 Dec 2009 05:29:42 GMT
Rene Kiobge says:
Upon further review, I may have done myself a service if I had looked more deeply into the situation prior to purchase. Essentially, as I have a PS3 and not any other Region A Blu-Ray player, it may not work as opposed to those who possess one in the United States and Canada. That being said, the PAL issue may be the only hinderance, as another owner of this disc confirmed that it started up with a PS3 but was incompatible due to the television. I do have one thing working in my favour though, I own a Samsung LCD that runs 60hz. Apparently, these televisions can run both 50hz and 60hz, the difference between PAL and NTSC. It is just a matter of the package arriving and having the opportunity to test it out. If it doesn't work, there are other outlets to compensate myself for the loss. For those that are in a similar position, I'll update this thread once I have received the disc. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 19:59:11 GMT
See this discussion: http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-movies-tv-programmes/1135945-bbc-life-blu-ray.html

Posted on 18 Dec 2009 16:26:37 GMT
Rene Kiobge says:
Received the Blu-rays in the mail today, and sadly, they did not work with my North American PS3. I'm comtemplating whether or not I should purchase a standalone Samsung Blu-ray player, as these apparently work with Life's format. When I put the discs in they load and then load into a black screen after showing the 2 Entertain and BBC Earth intro's. Thus, it's not a matter of region encoding. It's quite the disappointment, and I still cannot fathom why we have differing blu-ray formats? Even with domestic market initiatives, making this disc universal would not hinder sales within Europe. It's entirely pointless, and annoying for those who wish to purchase items from abroad and simply cannot. I guess it goes both ways. For those with a NA PS3 stay away unless you have another blu-ray player not made by Sony, and even that information hasn't really been confirmed aside from a few personal experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2009 22:22:51 GMT
C. Wong says:
Just wondering, if you have a (first generation 60GB) PS3? I'm still on the fence about ordering this bluray for my 60GB PS3 and Sony XBR5 LCD. I live in California USA. I understand that the bluray didn't work with your equipment. Please le tme know what tpye of PS3 you have. Also is the PS3 in Canada the same as USA? Do you have the new slim PS3 or older generations? How may GB is your PS3? Thanks for you time.
Craig

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2009 04:03:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2010 01:56:59 GMT
Yinyue says:
I tried the Life discs in a Sony BDP-S350 and saw the same thing: the opening credits work and then nothing. I think I figured out why -- the main feature is in 1080i50 format. This means either your player or TV must be able to handle a 50Hz HD image. My Samsung TV is 60Hz only, but I discovered my Oppo BDP-83 bluray player can re-time 50Hz to 60HZ (without too much of a hit to the picture quality). It also does the same for PAL DVDs. I love my Oppo BDP-83, though at $499 it is a tad expensive. They have said they will announce a less expensive player next month -- maybe it will also handle PAL discs.

Posted on 13 Jan 2010 04:06:20 GMT
Rene Kiobge says:
Sorry about the late response, but I just realized there had been a few responses since my last observance. Now about the PS3, mine is a PS3 slim which is a North American product. Hence, it's the same as the one distributed to the United States as we use the voltage, and format (NTSC) as the US. Bottom line is, regardless of what PS3 you have unless it's the Hong Kong version, you're not going to get it to work. I'm still considering a Samsung blu ray player, but I think I'll just wait and buy the NA release and hold onto my PAL blu-ray in the mean time.

Posted on 23 Jan 2010 06:58:12 GMT
Asun says:
I can report that this bluray set doesn't work with Sony BDP S350 North American version. I wonder if Sony will release some sort of firmware update to support 50Hz encoding.

Posted on 23 Jan 2010 11:26:02 GMT
The discs do work with the LG BH200.

Posted on 3 Apr 2010 18:10:14 BDT
BisouBisou says:
This doesn't work with my US PS3 Slim =(. Only the opening credits show and then it's completely blank. I wish the PS3 would handle the 50hz conversion for me...

Posted on 21 Jun 2010 08:24:23 BDT
timhk says:
I have a Hong Kong PS3 slim, does that mean that this blu-ray will work on it, based on previous posts? Would love to watch Life, Planet Earth was amazing.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 16:06:39 BDT
PS says:
The Blu-Ray is not region coded... The problem some face is with the Blu-Ray video format... I wonder why the manufacturers don't make hardware which would enable them to play both pal and ntsc disks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  30 Nov 2009
Latest post:  27 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by David Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (212)