HandiHikes is an innovative new range of 18 compact, waterproof hiking guides featuring 60 of the best walking routes in the Lake District. Each guide is printed on tough, durable plastic and includes:
- A carefully selected area of 1:25,000 scale Ordnance Survey® Explorer mapping data;
- A choice of 3 or 4 clearly annotated routes to suit your ability, or your mood;
- HandiHints for how to link up our routes to make your own;
- HandiLikes, including best viewpoints and our favourite places to eat or drink (very important after a day in the hills);
- Hints on navigation, if you need them;
- Practical tips for safer walking; and
- All this information on a single sheet which effortlessly folds away to fit neatly in your pocket, making it nice and easy to use on the hills.
Map 05 - Walks from Keswick
There are plenty of reasons to visit the pretty market town of Keswick. Traditional tearooms, cosy pubs, outdoor shops... even a pencil museum. But we love it because it's the perfect base for a range of great walks. An easy lakeside stroll still rewards you with postcard views, while Cat Bells and Walla Crag offer grand vistas after only a modest ascent. Don't let the distances put you off though - we have provided shorter alternatives inside, which take in a trip on the ferry.
Map 05 gives you a choice of the following routes:
- Route 1 - Cat Bells, 9 miles, 5 - 6 hours, Moderate
- Route 2 - Walla Crag, 6.5 miles, 3 - 4, Moderate
- Route 3 - Derwent Water, 5.5 miles, 3 - 3.5 hours, Easy