HandiHikes is an innovative new range of 18 compact, waterproof hiking guides featuring 60 of the best walking routes in the Lake District. Each guide is printed on tough, durable plastic and includes:
- A carefully selected area of 1:25,000 scale Ordnance Survey® Explorer mapping data;
- A choice of 3 or 4 clearly annotated routes to suit your ability, or your mood;
- HandiHints for how to link up our routes to make your own;
- HandiLikes, including best viewpoints and our favourite places to eat or drink (very important after a day in the hills);
- Hints on navigation, if you need them;
- Practical tips for safer walking; and
- All this information on a single sheet which effortlessly folds away to fit neatly in your pocket, making it nice and easy to use on the hills.
Map 12 - Walk the Langdale Pikes
Langdale is truly a hiker's paradise. This is the second of our Langdale HandiHikes, taking in the Langdale Pikes and Pavey Ark to the north of the valley. With craggy peaks, good paths and awesome scrambles, it's one of those places you'll keep coming back to. And with relatively low summits, compared to some of the Lakeland giants, you can enjoy all this after a little determined climbing.
Map 12 gives you a choice of the following routes:
- Route 1 - Langdale Pikes, 4 miles, 3 - 4 hours, Moderate
- Route 2 - Pavey Ark, 3 miles, 3 - 4 hours, Difficult
- Route 3 - Pike of Stickle, 6.5 miles, 4 - 5 hours, Moderate
- Route 4 - Blea Tarn, 3 miles, 1.5 - 2 hours, Easy