on 11 May 2012
This is the second jon stanton thriller i've read and its even better then the first!
Fast paced well written and never predictable.
Definately my kind of book. I'm just off to download the third!
Excellent reading for crime farns

Excellent reading
on 25 June 2013
This is the second book I have read by Victor and again a very good one,story had a very unexpected twist at the end,well recommended.
on 13 August 2012
I picked up this book for free on Kindle and wish that I hadn't. I've read 1/3 of it and do not intend to read any more.

Firstly, the plot of this novel appears to be just a string of standard cop-thriller cliches strung together. The main character, in particular, is a very one-dimensional person who has absolutely no distinctive attributes. He is cultured (reads James Joyce and listens to Bach), rugged (enjoys surfing), noble (takes a bullet for a child), attractive (his girlfriend has, and I quote "perfect breasts". What a lucky guy) and is bestowed with that old cop-thriller staple - a wife who divorced him because she couldn't handle the perennial fear that he'd be killed on the job. In short, he's the default go-to novelist's cop archetype, with no customisations. The rest of the characters, too, fall into very neat little compartments, being introduced with some event or action that leaves no ambiguity about whether you are meeting A GOOD GUY or A BAD GUY.

Having established this precedent, the writer's style keeps things on track. Bland, devoid of character or wit, a vocabulary so narrow that a cat could slink its way in and get stuck. Sometimes an author will write with short consecutive sentences that begin with the same word, to achieve a machine-gun effect. There was an explosion. There was another explosion. There was a third explosion. Victor Methos does it repeatedly, not for the effect, but apparently through laziness. Most sentences start with "it", "he", "she", "the", "there", "they". This does not lead to the kind of elegant, fluid reading experience that a professional novelist should aspire to.

He's also got a really annoying habit, which I think was brought to a perverted artform by Stieg Larsson, of peppering the text with tiny irrelevant technical details that are clearly intended to demonstrate dedicated research, when in fact they just provide a little mental speed bump. Stieg Larsson delighted in telling us exactly how much RAM was in Lisbeth's MacBook, and Victor Methos wants you to know what song is on the radio.

By the time I gave up on this book, I had also noticed three conspicuous errors of a grammatical/typographical nature (not including intentional errors as part of dialogue to convey the speaker's accent or dialect). These are minor errors in themselves, but suggest that the author and publisher place little value in the novel, and this suggestion has an infectious effect.
on 9 June 2012
Really enjoyed this book and will definately buy more from this author. At times I did feel that things were added in quickly but on the whole a very good story line and likeable main character.
on 9 July 2013
I really enjoyed the book. However, I do have a few restrictions because of some hard-to-believe details and slightly loose ends:
How come the perverted Mum Angie Aviary is played up in the paper as an innocent mother holding a harmless party for her kids, then disappears from the story altogether?
How come such a perceptive cop as Stanton spends so much time with Kyle/Calvin and doesn't sense him to be unbalanced or just plain suspicious?
How can this guy - I know he's the hero and all that, but still... - undergo lethal blows to the head, a stabbing, an explosion and severe burns, then grin from his ICU bed a couple of hours later? Isn't that stretching things a bit thin?
But thanks all the same for a good read. I'll be looking forward to reading more about Jon Stanton in the near future...
All the best
on 19 June 2014
I found this to be suprisingly dark but I liked it.Its the second book in the series I've read although I seem to be reading them out of order so far.The main character is very engaging and quite complex,hes also religious and a surfing nut so certainly a bit different from your usual dectective.The story is fast paced the villian is also not straightforward and there was a twist I didn't see coming.Very good read,I will read more in this series .
on 31 December 2015
Never written a review before but felt as compelled to write this as I was to finish reading it. I felt empathy towards Jon Stanton. I was angry on his behalf. Even now I speak of him as a real person. The ending came as a complete surprise but I will say no more about that!!
Can't wait to read book 3. Excellent writing. Excellent reading.

andy pottage
on 13 July 2013
I enjoyed this book very much. I would have liked a little more info at the end about jons future which is why i only gave it 4 stars. The ending was a shocker. Don't want to give too much away but it did hold me in suspense. I read it in 2 days. Recommend it to all mystery lovers. I will be reading more of Victors work.
on 24 April 2016
This is the second book in the series and although it could be argued that it's more of the same, I really enjoyed it. The pace of the story is great, the characters a little clichéd, but interesting nonetheless. Victor Methos has a fan in me.
on 2 December 2013
Its like a Dean Koontz.....James Patterson combo. Very gripping fiction. Don't start reading if you have only a few minutes...you can get lost wondering what is next......