on 26 January 2014
I'm thrilled to say that everything I loved about book one in this series, Sleep with the Lights on (Brown and de Luca Novel), was back here in the second instalment in full force! It was a thrill ride from start to finish and everywhere in between. I loved it!

For starters, the tension surrounding the romance was delicious. Not an easy thing to achieve considering Mason and Rachel had been allowed to cave into their temptation in the first book (albeit behind closed doors! Grr!). Even so, their current "relationship" is just as enticing in its limbo state, and the reasons they think they shouldn't be together are tested to the limit in this book.

Also ratcheted right back up was the tension surrounding the serial killer that just. won't. DIE! It's incredibly well done, and definitely an interesting twist for a thriller. Although Rachel's reaction when Mason initially asks her to help out on the case is a resounding Oh Hell No!, it soon becomes clear that this new string of murders is definitely connected to the original transplant recipients, and that she will most likely become a target herself very soon.

I find it difficult to review mysteries since, naturally, you don't want to even hint at anything that might spoil another reader's enjoyment. Those Aha! moments are what they're all about, after all. But let's just say I was extremely pleased with how Wake to Darkness played out. It surprised the hell out of me. If you guess who it is before the end, then you're a much cleverer person than I am, because I did not see it coming but at all! I was miles out with my guesses!

To sum up, if you loved book one, this book is just as good if not better. I simply cannot wait to see how she ends the series!

A great read, not to be missed.

4.5 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
on 8 February 2014
Although I don't think that this book is as good as the first one Sleep with the Lights On (A Brown and De Luca Novel - Book 1) which seemed more like a horror/suspense novel. This offering seemed more like a romantic/ suspense than anything else. Don't get me wrong, it still gripped me by the throat but it didn't have me at the edge of my chair chewing on my nails while frantically flipping pages to see what was going to happen next.

I love how the characters are even more fully developed, but that the romantic aspect is taking its time to play out. I appreciate the delicacy of this since I sometimes think that a great story does not always have to have a lot of blatant sex, as though the author had nothing better to add to the story and was just upping her/his word count.

After 20 years of being blind, Rachel is going to have her first sighted Christmas and she is looking forward to it, until yet another murderer starts chasing after the organ recipients from the last book. So now, Rachel and her brood escape secretively up to a ritzy mountain ski resort...but the murder follows them there. Is it going to be a traditional white Christmas or will it be a Christmas drenched in blood for Rachel?

This very satisfying read had me gaping in shock once I learned the whodunit aspect. However, as I said, it just did not grab me as much as the first novel did. I miss Rachel's inner `witch' now that she is starting to believe in the "airy-fairy" stuff she writes!

Happy Reading!
on 24 December 2013
I can't recommend this author enough. Have read many of her books now and will continue to read as long as she continues to write!! Well done Maggie.
on 24 December 2013
Having read the first in the series i thought this might not be as good, but was willing to give it a try. I am glad i did. The story only moves on a few months from the first book and the last thing i was expecting was that the killing was going to continue. The story had so many twists and turns that i was unable to fathom out who was doing the killings now,and i was on the edge of my seat wondering if De Luca would be left blind again.This book was a really good read and hopefully there will be at least one more in the series so i find out if they do or if they don't end up together.
on 8 March 2014
I don't usually read this kind of book, but they keep you hooked and the scary stuff isn't too hectic. Maggie Shayne, you are good
on 1 January 2014
What a great sequel to 'sleep with the lights on' I hope Maggie writes more about Mason and Rachel as think this story line could run for a little longer yet!
I've read several Shayne books now and as someone who doesn't usually read American books I've become hooked on Maggie's books. Would highly recommended the series including thicker than water, colder than ice then darker midnight too.
on 5 October 2014
Read the first book in this series and enjoyed it, so was looking forward to finding out what happened next.
Whilst this book was still perfectly readable the plot was both predictable and at times unbelievable.
Don't let this review put you off reading the book, but it is not in the same league as its predecessor.
on 3 December 2013
The growing importance of family in this book cuts through a fairly routine Thriller/Police, Serial Killer, genre. Guru Novelist Rachel and Detective Mason could grow into a series with an avid following. If only to follow fashionista Myrtle
On the case!
on 20 January 2014
She just gets better. This is the most eventful, intriguing, and dare I say, frightening book I have read. After reading it in bed on one occasion, I had a bizarre and unnerving nightmare as realistic as the book itself. Can't get enough of maggie Shayne!
on 29 December 2013
I've read the two books in this series and I loved the first but the second was brilliant. Wake to Darkness was a fabulous sequel and had me gripped. Sexual tension, thrilling, gripping, twists etc. I really enjoyed reading this book. Highly recommended