WRC 3 - World Rally Championship (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3Change
Price:£3.99-£37.25

on 6 November 2012
First off, ignore all major review sites which give this game a poor rating as they clearly spent as much time playing the game as they did writing the reviews. (Remember to download the demo from the psn store if using a ps3 to see for yourself).

Gameplay: WRC 3 seems to be an ultra realistic driving sim, for example when using the handbrake on a hairpin you will find that you must counter steer in order to regain control of the vehicle. I have also noticed that the car feels different according to the terrain which I am racing on. For example mud = Sticky feeling tires, Gravel = Very easy to slide on and so forth. You will also find that the car can become damaged and may prove to handle slightly differently after a crash or bump.

Graphics: The graphics are satisfying with ice and snow on the Swedish tracks and rain pouring down onto the Welsh tracks each location looks rather different to the last. The graphics may not be so polished as DiRT but that isn't such a bad thing as WRC 3 is a raw rally sim.

Multiplayer: The multiplayer has no lag at all although I do sometimes receive the occasional disconnect. There is a ranking system but no rewards for ranking, not to much of an issue as the gameplay certainly outweighs this.

** In conclusion, if you want to support the best rally game since Colin McRae on playstation 1 then get it, but by all means try the demo first. The game is very challenging, takes some dedication and makes listening carefully to your co-driver paramount if you want to stay on the track. In some locations the width of the track is the same as that of your car which is the complete opposite to the DiRT series. WRC3 is a raw rally sim. **

Hope this review helps!
on 29 October 2012
This game is worth its release price. NO online pass needed to play online. Good graphics and good physics. I play with Hyper-stimulator and Logitech G25 wheel and everything works fine. If you like WRC and you like video games get this and you will be very happy. Good online community too.
on 12 October 2012
I am a huge racing game fan and rally is my favourite of all the racing types. My previous favourite racing game was DIRT 3 but after playing the WRC 3 demo on PSN I was very excited for WRC 3.

Having now had chance to play through the game all night (my copy arrived yesterday :)) I am blown away by how good it 'feels' and looks. DIRT is still great but WRC 3 is the better game in my opinion - it 'feels' more realistic, it's faster and it feels like you are actually driving a rally car, every bend is a challenge (as opposed to just drifting round every corner, without any effort at all).

The new Road to Glory career mode is very fun but I like the Championship, starting out as Sebastian Loeb and driving his Citroen is a thrill in itself, the car handles like the beast of machine you would expect and it's an amazing experience - I would recommend everyone starts out by giving that a go! :)

I'm off to try and top the leader boards before everyone else get's online and I fade into obscurity :(
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 February 2013
Great game. been playing this game for a few weeks now and its simply the closest to real rally on the ps3! I use a driving seat and g27 wheel and its none stop fun! you get a real sensation for how fast these cars are going. Could of been better graphically but ill take gameplay over graphics any day! not to say their bad graphics just not has polished has dirt. Overall bin dirt get this!!!
on 29 January 2013
As a long time fan of the WRC I have to say this game nails it as a real rally experience , yes it's not as flash and brash as the DIRT series but real rally fans want to rally not the gymkhana inspired dirt product, I do own both games and I come to WRC 3 for my rally fun I just hope next in series they up some of the presentation standards.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 May 2013
WRC3 feels like a game with a lot of potential, but which fails to achieve the heights it should be scaling. As a rallying experience, it feels much nicer than Dirt 3 with its overly-sensitive controls (I should point out that I switch the driving aids to "off" in both games), or GT5's rally mode where the cars feel too heavy and frankly, a bit slow.
You can debate which game is more realistic 'til the cows come home, but unless you're Sebastian Loeb all that matters is that drifting through Sweden or flying over jumps in Finland feels good, and in WRC3 it does. Each of the cars handles differently, and there's a good selection from '70s RWD machines and '80s Group B monsters, through to modern S2000 and WRC machinery.

Ultimately, that should be all that the game needs to deliver. It falls down in a couple of areas though. Graphics are acceptable but in some cases things just don't look right - the tail-lights on some of the cars (the Peugeot 207 and Ford Fiesta especially) look like Lexus-style aftermarket add-ons. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with the window glass either, but *something* certainly is.

You can massively improve your stage times with the right set-up changes to the cars, but in some cases it feels like the range of adjustment is wrong. For the gears on a WRC car, you'll probably never use the top half of the adjustment range; all of the tune-able settings are a little too coarse.

The stages themselves, whilst accurately reflecting the character of real WRC events and giving a good account of the different techniques required, are too repetitive. Excluding head-to-head superspecials, there are usually 6 stages per country, but those 6 stages will all use the same sections of road. There will be a couple of junctions in the stage, but when racing entire rallies you'll find yourself recognising large chunks of the last stage you raced.

There are a couple of bugs in the game too - I've occasionally had to re-start stages because the car gets stuck in a gear and refuses to change. Frustratingly, there are no co-driver pace notes in the "Road to Glory" career mode's challenges, where you'll have to smash blocks and do other arcadey things. It's a shame as these challenges could otherwise teach you a lot about techniques and racing lines. It's also disappointing that most of the cars can only be used in this career mode - so you won't be able to use the lovely Lancia Delta S4 for a full championship.

If you were to compare WRC3 to a rally driver, it would be Jari-Matti Latvala. Blindingly quick at times, he throws it into the trees too often to be a real contender. If the rough edges can be sorted out in future, we might have a real winner on our hands.
on 25 November 2012
Awesome game, hours of fun being had with this, especially with the multiplayer mode with 2 friends.

Graphically superb, great gameplay, best rally game to date on the PS3, at last!!! :)
on 12 November 2012
Overall, an improvement on the previous game in this series. Graffics/gameplay/handling of the cars.

Road to Glory(offline) has some nice events added gate/crash and burn/drift events are good events to try out your skills and fun to do also.

No stupid co-driver comments (unlike in the previous game)which is a welcome bonus. Offline you can personalise your cars in a colour scheme/ sponsor/number plate as you wish.

Works well with a steering wheel as I use a Logitech GT,and you can adjust all setting to your liking.

Online-Much the same as before being able to choose which events you wish to partake in, and again 16 max in a lobby gives you plenty of people to race against.

If I was being critical then more improvements to the graffics(not sure if the Wales GB rally looks as good-yes I know some stages are in the rain but to me a bit wishy washy)and the cartoon like menu is a bit outdated, but as yet not quite up to the Dirt series, but gettng there.
If you are like me sick to death of the way the Dirt series has gone I mean way too many Gymkhana/less variety of tracks from around the world (too many tracks from the US)then for the pure rally nuts this is a decent rally game to purchase.
on 14 July 2013
I bought this without knowing what to expect, my last rally game was Coling Mcrae Rally on PS1. (lol)

I had a lot of fun with this game. Controls are nice and the car behaviour adapts well to the different undergrounds.
The game sets out to be realistic, but in career mode there are a lot of minigames too. You build up your reputation by completing rallies, special stages and these minigames. Stars are earned in the progress. The rallies deliver exactly what you'd expect. They are fun and challenging on the correct difficulty setting. The minigames feel out of place in this game, they are fun but don't exactly add to the realistic feel. Drifting, collecting points, avoiding walls, ... Very much arcade, not really my style.

The graphics and sound design could have been better too. More attention to detail could have made this game so much better.

Conclusion: I had a lot of fun with this game, completed it 100% and enjoyed the overall experience. I liked the actual rallies and special stages, not so much the minigames. Graphics and sound could have been better.

Since the fun factor counts the most, for me, I give this game 4 out of 5 stars.
on 31 October 2012
Ignore the pathetic childish rant of a review. This is a return to the proper rally games of old. As a long time rally fan and rally gaming fan WRC3 is very impressive and from a driving realism point of view has it nailed. Works very well with Logitech Force EX wheel and would definately recommend. Only slight issue for me is loading times however this doesn't spoil my enjoyment of this game.

See one answered question