Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2012 21:01:38 GMT
Book Keeper says:
***WARNING***

Nikon D700 for 800 Amazon Scam

I have posted this in a number of discussion boards, but though it would make sense alongside this specific product! :)

For those that have been a victim of fraud and have lost money I strongly suggest you not only report the problem to amazon via stop-spoofing@amazon.com but I advise that you submit a fraud report as soon as possible: http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ you can also call them directly on 0300 123 2040. If you have shared personal details, you should also contact your local police force to explain the problem, some scammers will use your personal details in order to conduct identity theft and further crime. Also, be on the lookout for further scams via email and phone as the scammer will often have your email address and telephone number and will typically sell it to underground networks. It is usually good practice to set up a new email address and telephone number when you realised you have been scammed.

To reduce your chance of becoming a victim, please always consider the following:

1. If it's too good to be true it often is! Most transactions that happen outside Amazon's payment process e.g. via Western Union, Moneygram etc. is likely to be a fraud. Even if a seller has immaculate feedback and they take the time to explain why they can offer the item at such a good price, ask yourself, 'Is 200 really worth saving, when you have 1,000 at stake!' Remember discounted prices, extended warranty, brand new 'ex-display' products have no value if you do not receive them.

2. Always, always, always report suspicious activity, if necessary get a second opinion but do not leave it for someone else to report. Together the faster you act and the faster we all act, the faster the criminal will be brought to justice preventing further victims.

3. If you do receive a request for payment via email, the design of the email will often look like it originates from the company, in this instance Amazon but it does not. There are a number of ways that you can tell:

a) First of all, check the sender's email address there are two parts i) The Display Name, this can be easily faked such as 'Amazon.co.uk' ii) The actual email address the important bit is the domain itself. Take for example the domain auto-confirm@securepayamazon.com while on review the securepayamazon.com looks legitimate the site will often be fake even a DNS lookup reports to be valid securepayamazon.com but investigate the site and question everything.

b) Turn off HTML emails and view the message as plain text, suspicious links stand out this way.

c) Check the customer support email address. For example pay-messages@live.com looks legitimate, it is simply an email address, set-up by the fraudster and not associated with the company. Check out other links and compare the email to a legitimate Amazon email, you will be surprised at just how many subtle discrepancies there are.

d) Take a look at the shipping address and payment address details, if these are different then that often raises suspicion, question why.

e) Google the shipping and payment address details, does it look suspicious, does the address even look like a business?

f) Google the information that you have found for example email address, domain names etc. see what information you can find. For example a quick google for arrowfileltd@gmail.com or sdecoulos@yahoo.com show that this is a scammer trying to scam you. Sometimes the source looks legitimate e.g. AltraSwim Ltd and ArtiFolk were both selling a Nikon D700 camera via their Amazon store so either these businesses are acting illegitimately, their Amazon account has been hijacked or the criminal is name squatting i.e. using the name of a legitimate company that the criminal has set up as the legitimate business does not have an Amazon account! Having spoken to Artifolk on Monday 16th January 2012, they confirm that they are aware of this scamming problem and that it had nothing to do with them and they did not want to comment any further.

g) Post a comment here and find out if other users have experienced similar problems.

h) Above all, use common sense. If it's too good to be true it often is. Take no chances, protect others and move on.

============================================================================
THE AMAZON NIKON D700 SCAM: FOR THOSE INTERESTED THIS MIGHT HIGHLIGHT HOW THE SCAMMER OPERATES
============================================================================

A) You see a bargain item listed on Amazon, in this case a Nikon D700 for 800, these cameras typically retail for approx. 1,200-1,600 second hand so it attracts a lot of interest.

B) You try and place the order but you will receive the following system error message:

We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below

C) You send an email to the scammer

D) The scammer emails you back a generic reply, note none of your specific questions will have been answered, you're not even addressed formally.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello,
The Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only is new, UK model (it's an displayed model, not used and is as good as new it just had to be listed as 'used' as the box has been opened. The camera is in new condition, only exposed, not used), comes with 12 months Nikon warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories. The total price is 800.00 including all shipping taxes.If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices before holidays. If you want to buy send me your phone number,full name and address and i will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Despatch is by normal Royal Mail services which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the UK you are.My return policy is full money back in 14 days.

Please let me know asap.

Many Thanks
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

E) You reply to the scammer's email asking to proceed. Again any specific questions you ask will go unanswered.

F) The listing of the item will be removed as soon as you have registered an interest. This enables the scam to continue a) you are under the impression the scammer has removed the item because they are going to sell it to you b) the scammer removes the item in order not to attract too much attention from Amazon

F) You will receive an HTML looking like it has originated from Amazon. The majority of links (not all) point to the scammers websites or email addresses 'dressed-up' to look like official domains.

G) You arrange payment via Western Union or some other third party and when you have sent money to someone in Italy, you can kiss it goodbye; you will be lucky enough to receive another email from the scammer let alone your actual order.

H) Follow up emails will either be ignored or your email blacklisted so all your emails end in the trash or auto-deleted enabling the scammer to concentrate all their energies on their next victim.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 15:58:47 GMT
pachamama says:
Was also almost victim to one of these scams a canon 550d for 260 pounds about 250 below normal retail price and all of the above happened. the seller was Mr Flory Berndes of arrowfileltd@gmail.com using a western union payment address in Italy. We have to be aware I suspected on various factors so investigated further Amazon do not use money transfers or any type of cash transactions , check with them first before making a costly mistake.

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 15:59:07 GMT
P. French says:
Why would anyone use Western Union. Personally, if a company won't accept a credit card, that says it all.

Its like selling, I had a great response to selling a lens on Amazon Marketplace recently- the buyer will send me an additional 50 via western union to cover costs and I sent it to Lagos - unfortunately, some people are less clued up then others!! Good Luck everyone

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 19:31:22 GMT
Greg says:
There's a "just launched" merchant selling a (NEW) D700 for 1,139.00. Would you suspect that as a possible scam?

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 23:08:02 GMT
Book Keeper says:
Yes Greg. It is most likely a scam, given that the same camera at the same price, by the same seller was being advertised just a couple of days ago. Proceed with caution if you must, but you're better off letting the 'deal of the century' go by.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2012 09:28:11 GMT
Greg says:
I will definitely pass this one by. Thank you Book Keeper.

I've reported to Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 15:14:00 BDT
The cheapest Bonafide company that you will be able to purchase a Nikon D700 (body only) is through OnestopDigital, who are based in Hong Kong. It costs 1,529.99 in total, andyou recieve it within 48 hours.

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 23:57:44 BDT
C. Frost says:
I too was almost fooled by the offer of a brand new D800 for 1500. A grand less than the RRP. The seller calls herself Heidi McGillicuddy and resides in London. She is no relation to professional photographer Damian McGillicuddy, because I've checked with the man himself.

As I couldn't pay for it on Amazon, I sent her an email. Low and behold, I got a similar message:
"HI , i can not use the usual credit card option , please proceed with payment via Money Gram as requested by amazon.
You must go personal to a Money Gram agency or to a bank who has Money Gram agency and make the payment under Amazon agent name:
Ricardo Robledo, Afadou 200, Afadou, 851 03, Greece
According to amazon : moneygram service apply additional taxes when the money are sent for business , so to protect your from extra charges tell the agent you are sending the funds to a relative or a family friend.
Many Thanks"

Seems that there are lots of these offers available. Is Amazon becoming a scammer's paradise?

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 09:12:58 BDT
It seems as though these scams are rife and I nearly got caught myself on a D7000. I think that if the seller is just listed this is a big clue but what about when the seller has >95% positive feedback from over 2000 transactions?! I have no idea if scammers are able to infiltrate or even buy or hack and make up such shops but this is disconcerting. Alex Shanks Ltd. is one such seller and has a D800 at c.1600 and a Canon 5D Mk2 at 730ish. Both "too good to be true" prices but ostensibly from a bona fide seller. On checkout the familiar "We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination@ comes up. They also had a D7000 @ 500 last night which disappeared just as soon as I had sent some questions about the item. I just don't get this - anyone have any thoughts how they make it that genuine looking? Am going to suggest Amazon investigates this seller.

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 15:24:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2013 15:25:39 GMT
A. Websper says:
Had a similar experience. It would seem that a legit company had had their front page hijacked and as well as their household lighting there was also numerous high end photography equipment. All looked very real but when you went to pay via the normal way on amazon you had to email the seller, which was not the same as the legit email. Very sophisticated and almost did part with money. the email I received back from the fraudster: As soon as I emailed them ALL of the items vanished

Hello,
the Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) is in new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened), comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, UK model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is 907.36 including delivery.Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Many thanks

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 09:55:48 BDT
M. Egan says:
I had been contacted by a similar scammer concerning a Canon 5D mkIII selling for 1209. After being contacted outside of amazon for a shipping address I grew suspicious and did some research. Just as well that I did. Reporting the seller now.

A general rule to follow would be if the seller contacts you out with Amazon or wants you to pay them via any method other than directly through Amazon then cut communications with them and do not hesitate to report them.

Posted on 22 May 2013 16:20:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2013 16:21:03 BDT
A. McMillan says:
Seems there is a simmilar situation with a guy selling a nikon 14 - 24 for 750 (around 200 less than average) from a "confectionary" store. Emailed a question about it and has asked for all emails to be direct to him, "to help my schedule" as he has had dozens of emails about the lens. I can be pretty sure that if I try to pay he will want the money via westernunion or something! shame.

He has a lot of other high end stuff for sale, strangely no confectionary items. but high and positive feedback!!

If you search for "nikon 14-24" his is the only "used" item for sale.

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 14:19:48 BDT
guy f says:
I have ordered a laptop through Amazon just an hour ago - the item is listed as used but 'like new' condition and is a lot cheaper than the others listed. The company is 'Just Launched' and so has no feedback. However, I have paid via the normal Amazon process - so should I be worried?

Posted on 8 Jul 2013 21:52:16 BDT
Guy F - who's the company? I've just highlighted one called ukt343 ltd - a lot of gear for sale at 'too good to be true prices'! I've sent a long message to Amazon warning them - the company is getting a lot of attention on other forums. See this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-laptop-marketplace-scam/forum/Fx2CGYWAKE9F66T/TxL6ER8L17XAYA/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00131W8IW.
I might be wrong, but they've got a lot of 'high-end' goods at knock down prices. If it's them, I'd be slightly concerned, but if you've paid through Amazon (using a credit card), you should be OK - and it doesn't look like ukt343 ltd's MO - where they list the goods, they give an e-mail address and say for the buyer to contact them before going through Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2013 22:51:55 BDT
guy f says:
They call themselves 'Pauls Group'. I did contact ukt343 in fact but reported them to Amazon myself when they wanted my details and said amazon would contact me for payment. I'm guessing that would have been some sort of scam. 'Pauls Group' have apparently dispatched my laptop and I guess I will see if it arrives as promised. If not, then I guess I am covered through Amazon's A to z guarantee....

Posted on 10 Jul 2013 20:28:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jul 2013 20:32:34 BDT
I reported ukt343 to Amazon - they look distinctly dodgy to my (admittedly untrained) eye. I also note that my message to them (ukt343) asking if it was a scam brooked no response!
Hope your laptop arrives OK.
Update: I see ukt343 have gone - but there's a new 'company' called 'MrKuve' doing exactly the same thing! Looks like the same stuff even! Buyer beware. Wonder how Amazon are going to stop all this?!

Posted on 17 Jul 2013 21:17:00 BDT
Peter Willis says:
Great set of info above. Came accross 2 of these today on amazon whilst looking for a particular camera. "Kuve" sent me an email and it followed the processess above. what is annoyong, is it is not clear how to report suspicious sellers to amazon easily. Here is what I was looking at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001E97GIU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new the item being sold by amazon seller "SE HN RT" was well under half price. I had emails from "Martha Kuve" which is mrkuve@gmail.com and "Lee Ann Orton" which is juicersaj@hotmail.com. The Orton guy had 56 pages of electronics when I first found this camera....one by one the pages started to go - presumably as he took the items down. This is just too good to be true enough to make you stop.....but a bit of you is tempted.

Posted on 17 Jul 2013 22:03:11 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Jul 2013 06:10:22 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2013 22:05:45 BDT
Peter Willis says:
I found it eventuallay - and reported both I found today. Agree with your sentiment.......it could easily be an elderly relative taken in by these scams - not everyone has a healthy mis-trust of a bargain.

Posted on 6 Aug 2013 19:46:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2013 19:50:07 BDT
Joe says:
Martha Kuve MRKurve@gmail scam.

I've had a similar situation with a "too good to be true" macbook pro. I decided it was a scam only after googling the sellers email address and seeing it had previously been associated with scams.

The specs advertised are for a mid 2012 13" macbook pro for 460 (although the seller avoided specifying the model number or year, I looked it up.)

Here are the emails between myself and the scammer:

My email:

"Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro (Intel Dual Core i5 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD Graphics 4000, OS X Lion)

Hi, I have some questions about this laptop.

What is the model number (found on the back of the case)? And when was it purchased?

What condition is the body in?

What condition is the screen in?

I'm interested in buying very soon if its in good condition.
RSVP

Thanks,
(my name)

Response (same day):

Hello,

I will try to explain in this email all terms and condition :
The Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro (Intel Dual Core i5 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD Graphics 4000, OS X Lion) is new, UK model (not grey market or refurbished, brand new, never used). The product is in new condition, comes with 24 months international warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories. The price is 460,00 GBP including all the shipping taxes.
If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address and i will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Despatch is by normal Royal Mail or DHL Services which takes 2-5 days depending on where in the UK you are.
My return policy is full money back in 21 days.

For more information don't hesitate to contact me

Many Thanks,
Martha Kuve"

----

P.S.
I've noticed recently there are very low prices appearing on items such as SSDs and apple laptops then the product or entire 'store' of the Market Place seller quickly disappears, I initially thought people were snapping up these bargains but its probably how the scammers try to avoid getting caught.

Posted on 6 Aug 2013 20:11:02 BDT
Either that, or Amazon are closing them down. I've e reported this joker three times so far. You need to write to Amazon - follow the 'contact us' cues and they will want the ASIN number of the product in question and the details of the buyer.

The more we report them, the harder it will become for these scum to keep on going and - hopefully - they'll eventually give in. Well, they'll develop a different scam, I suspect, but it does make life more difficult for them.

Posted on 7 Aug 2013 21:24:27 BDT
John Norton says:
I too have been reporting - lets hope we get these jokers banned before too many people get burnt.

Posted on 19 Aug 2013 19:09:05 BDT
Bob says:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WARNING-Nikon-800-Amazon-Scam/forum/FxK9USBZS96OIK/Tx18LDP9LHJR1TH/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001BYMC5K
And Sony RX100. But I reported it and it was away and the real site managed to continue trading --.. Without the many, many extra items.
Legitimate businesses suffer, and, so do we-... I for one trust in Amazon, and a few good UK and Worldwide companies.
I truelly dont want Amazon to end up with E-*a*y* rep of dodgement

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 16:49:03 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Aug 2013 16:50:42 BDT]

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 14:48:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2013 14:50:50 BDT
Mr. D. Wade says:
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for the person who started this thread. I was in shock at first after reading this! I was going through exactly what you have all been through when I also got a gut feeling something fishy is going on. So I found this and backed off ASAP.

My only worry now is that I stupidly gave them my surename and delivery address. Should I be worried, is there any way they can piss me off with that information with identity fraud?

Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  16 Jan 2012
Latest post:  28 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.1MP) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.1MP) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) by Nikon
4.9 out of 5 stars   (47)