on 18 March 2014
Wow. There is so much packed into not a lot of pages. The line drawings that accompany the story are a wonderful addition. The author had a visual of what her characters would look like and had the forethought to avoid confusing things with descriptive narrative. So much was portrayed by these simple line drawings that I was immediately able to see these characters in my own mind as I read. I've seen full-blown art in some books that, while beautiful work, actually got in the way of my enjoying the story. Inevitably, I would find myself trying to figure out where that image fit within the story.

The world created by the author is inhabited by several intelligent species, the Wolfinic, the Vullens, and humans feature predominately in the story. This first book does a great job of introducing each of these. As the title suggests, the Vullens are cursed. To go outside of their territory can have fatal consequences. Asha, a Vullen mother, doesn't want her newborn daughter to grow to love death the way most Vullens do. To protect her, Asha takes her daughter into the forest and hides Deilia in the nook of a tree.

The Vullens are gifted (or cursed) with a special magic. Through their songs, they can heal or kill. It is the death song which Asha wanted to keep her daughter from learning. The death song is taught from a young age and stirs a lust for death in the singer(s) as its victim dies. Young Deilia is found wandering in the forest a few years later, kidnapped and taken to King Lowen. Desperate to save his wife, the king buys the kidnapped Deilia. The question is, can she?

There is nothing slow or lackadaisical about this story.The story moves quickly. I was pulled in from the very first line. When I finished the book, I went to my bookseller for the second one. Unfortunately, it wasn't available for Nook yet. I found it to be well written and very enjoyable.
on 9 June 2013
A fantasy world and the search for a Vullen- the only cure to a Wolfinic bite.

Natasha House has created a wonderful fantasy world that will have you enchanted the moment you start turning the pages. The illustrations that accompany these fantastical creatures are beautiful and enhance your imagination as to how and what they are like. The story is beautifully written and the characters well-developed.

The Vullens come from a village in The Dredge Forest and are overpowered by a curse that prevents them from leaving it. But what happens when one Vullen called Deilia escapes? And what does Deilia do when she is hunted by King Nahor to cure his wife from a Wolfinic bite? "The Vullen's Curse" is entwined with mystery and suspense that will have you intrigued until the very end.

I can't wait to read the next story that involves the search for a baby Wolfinic!
on 10 May 2013
The Vullen's Curse is an exceptionally well written novella. As a general rule I tend to stay away from them because I always feel as if it is lacking in description and development, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this wasn't an issue here at all.

I want to start off with the descriptions. They are beautiful and incredibly in-depth. The physical traits of the characters were fascinating and I spent a great deal of time just sitting with the Nook in my lap with my eyes closed, just imagining what all the characters must look like. Blue, purple, and pink hair? Golden skin covered by a silver cloak. Clear irises surrounding a dark pupil. I absolutely loved this.

There was a surprisingly large amount of character development despite the introductory story being so short. We were introduced to something like 10 characters, and I can honestly say I have a solid grasp on each of their motivations and desires. It's astonishing.

I want to take a minute here and just say this: there is a LOT of potential here. Seriously. I want this fleshed out in a full length novel beginning a series. Just in the span of 50 pages I'm hooked and I want to know more. I want more descriptions. I want more interactions with the characters. This would make a fantastic book and I think it's popularity would grow naturally just because the story is so great.

Update: I forgot to mention that I loved the sketches! They brought so much to the story.
on 9 February 2015
Love this whole series! So much so I have them on my Kindle as well as in paperback!