Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 March 2005
Was pleasantly surprised to stumble across this book in Waterstones - I think this is the first biography of Voltaire to come out in years and it is also first-class.
Derek Parker gives lots of information unfortunately passed over in the normal course of studying Voltaire, and having read the book you realise you now know a lot more about the man behind the works that made his fame (Candide, Zadig, Lettres philosophiques etc.). It is reassuring to read a balanced, well-researched view of both Voltaire's faults and his merits, and I like the way Parker's text seems to flow so effortlessly from beginning to end.
Fascinating and highly recommended.
0Comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
This book was a real page turner, fascinatiing in its detail, humorous and fast paced. I would reccomend this book to everyone.
on 29 January 2015
I bought this as a gift for my son who wanted to learn about Voltaire. I read through some of it myself and was not impressed, although I have to admit I've read a great deal on this subject. This book is quite lightweight and perhaps no as well researched as it could have been. Having read much on this great 18th century man-of-action, I would say that this book is fine for a beginner and for somebody who does not want anything too academic. However, for the serious Voltaire student there are much better books on the market, for example those by Roger Pearson and Ian Davidson.
on 6 February 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. I consider it a great introduction to the great Voltaire - I hadn't read anything about Volltaire before. I'm now reading "Letters on England" and realise that reading Derek Parker's book provided a context to understanding Voltaire's psyche.
on 1 January 2014
Bought this used but it is a great book (would have liked to have bought the Kindle version) at a great price, rapidly delivered.
on 29 July 2014