on 11 April 2014
I bought this book to help with the restoration of my late bay. It's a cracking book with easy to follow instructions and photos of each stage. Whilst every restoration project is going to be different, this book covers most - if not all - eventualities. The author clearly knows what he's talking about as it's obviously written from experience gained over many years.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book, which covers everything from what to consider and look for before buying a bus, to the essential finishing touches at the end of your project.
on 16 April 2014
After looking at a number of possible books I took the plunge and ordered the new kid on the block! So very glad I did as was clearly written by someone who has been in my position. I can't express how good this book looks when you first open it! Beautiful detailed pictures and great easy to follow written word. This book is worth every penny and will help with jobs big and small. Great price and nice to see lots of detail a big well done to the author.
on 20 May 2014
Very well written with a common sense, down to earth approach.

The introduction is very self deprecating and the author gives hope to any newbie who fancies restoring a Type 2. To be honest, you'll need to be able to weld pretty well to make full use of this book but if any text can inspire people to get out there and learn to weld then it's this one.

The book is so detailed and concise that it makes you wonder if Mr. Gillett could possibly have any kind of social life or any meaningful interests outside of VW Campers but his loss is most definitely our gain.

Higjhy recommended.
on 3 May 2014
This book is very good. Clear photos and good explanations. Im not new to restoring vws but this will be helpful to all.
on 30 October 2014
One of the most comprehensive restoration manuals from Hayner series (for bodywork).
Make sure you also purchase the engine restoration manual as the engine part is not so detailed.
And also as it is clearly stated in the intro part, "make sure you purchase this manual before you purchase you bay"
on 5 March 2015
Having previously purchased and used the alternative 'VELOCE' Enthusiast's Restoration Manual which I have been very impressed with it is interesting to now have this manual as a comparison. As I am still restoring my 1970 Westfalia Bay I can see some advantages of this Haynes Manual. The photographs are excellent both in content and quality a refreshing improvement on the Haynes Repair Manual.The Veloce manual has a chapter on the engine which I understand was omitted from the Haynes manual on the grounds that there very good manuals available which cover just the engine rebuild in it entirety. I can completely understand the reasoning and agree that this is the case. Personally if you are going to attempt to restore a Bay or even pay somebody else to complete part or all of a restoration I would recommend purchasing both books at a very reasonable price from Amazon.
on 28 April 2014
Very well written and documented breakdown on what to look for when buying a classic VW, how to restore the bodywork and also the mechanics!
An essential book in my opinion!
on 16 April 2014
Fletcher Gillet obviously knows his VW type 2's. This book is without doubt one of the most comprehensive VW camper restoration books written thus far. The wording is intelligible and uncomplicated,the pictures are self explanatory.

Well done the author. Sense without comprise. I will refer to it when I next restore my own bus.
on 30 April 2014
Good clear photos and explanations from someone who obviously knows their stuff. One of the best and clearest books I have seen on the subject.
on 7 November 2014
A well detailed book. This should prove to be very useful when I start some resto work on our van next year.