Format: MP3 Download|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 April 2007
I remember when I purchased this album almost 12 years ago. I listened to it once and ever since, have hardly taken it out of my hi-fi. I find it an absolute joy to listen to and it's so relaxing.

It starts off with the title track 'Voices' and that flows seamlessly into 'Echoes' which is one of my favourites. Another favourite is 'Ask The Mountains' featuring the voice of Stina Nordenstam. I would have to say that my last favourite is 'Messages' as it mimics moments from the title track and it flows beautifully into 'Dream In An Open Place'. This last track is so delightful and dreamy with its piano lead and muted trumpet phases.

This is definitely one of my favourite Vangelis albums and it shows him in a new light. There are three tracks where guest vocalists appear. One of them is mentioned above and the other two; 'Come To Me' features Caroline Lavelle on vocals and cello and 'Losing Sleep (Still My Heart)' featuring Paul Young.

This album is possibly showing Vangelis taking another genre to his finely tuned bow. This sounds more classical and maybe jazzy compared to his previous albums. Which is a good thing. This is a great album as you'd come to expect from a genius like Vangelis. Superb.
on 4 June 2000
This is another Vangelis "chill out" CD. Very much in the same flavour as "Oceanic" but without the sea themes. Both albums are, however, from the same period. "Voices" as a whole package is "Oceanic's" superior, but that would be splitting hairs.
Vangelis is the master, Enigma and the Art of Noise were barely also rans. You realise you are listenning to a consummate musician rather than the many who, by comparison, just know how to work a computer...
on 30 April 2002
This album is worth buying for the truly magnificent and deeply haunting 'Ask the Mountains', a gorgeous meld of Vangelis's sweeping electronica and Stina Nordenstam's angelic voice. The rest of the album veers from the excellent to the moderate, but it's great background stuff - except when 'Ask' comes on. You simply have to listen...
on 25 April 2007
I feel a bit stupid, as I bought this CD a while ago under the impression that it is one of them countless Best of's. So It was in a pile for a long time waiting to be played. What a shock I got when I banged it on.

Great opening track. Vangelis at his peak. Love the Voices, and the stirring anthem. Come To Me is just such Celtic brilliance. Then Track 5 Ask The Mountains is the music from the washer advert were the clothes turn into fish, a conger eel and jellyfish. Prelude has some gorgeous piano playing. Losing sleep[still,my heart] is such a moving love song.

It is all good. It is one of my Favourite favourites Vangelis CD ever. I need to have my backbone reattached as I am that blob on the carpet slowly spreading. Must stand up........
on 22 September 2003
A perfect example of Vangelis at his best. In my opinion the most engaging and enjotable of all the artists work. Fantastic sweeping synths and varied, striking vocals. Definately one for the chill-out collection. An easy entry into the Vangelis style with no strings attached.
on 6 February 2000
Think Enya crossed with Cocteau Twins and you're almost there. Vangelis of course adds his own dash of accessibility and musical sensibilities to the mix. The melodies seem simple but are enduring. This is not a "dark" CD like the other Vangelis I've listened to (Blade Runner of course) nor is as emotive. It is more neutral - good for background music or work. Intrudes just enough to be involving. I like it a lot and makes me want to check out the two other CD's of his that I've been recommended - City and Direct. Good thing they are so cheap :)
on 19 February 2004
I have never before heard such beauty. The dynamics of this piece and the way in which it has been written evoke so much emotion and yet is sublimely calm simultaneously. Each track is great within itself - communicating a feeling, but string them all together and Vangelis takes you on a journey.
I wish I could talk of favourites, but listening to the whole album for me is a necessity. The first track, Voices, builds up the pace, setting the scene, and then with the next track Van completely negates that - making the opposite type of music blend so well.
Bravo, and long may you make more albums like it Vangelis!
Vangelis is known mostly for his instrumental scores, but he has always been also involved with voices, whether as writer/producer of numerous other acts (mostly European) or by incorporating choirs and soloists in many of the compositions issued under his own name. But the words of those latter works are rarely lyrics in the traditional sense, and what makes the `Voices' album different is both that three of the nine tracks have such lyrics and that these lyrics have been written by composers other than Vangelis.

The fifty-five minute set (issued in 1995) opens with a splendid yet crude anthem that apes poorly his earlier brilliant `Conquest of Paradise' theme from `1492'. This is followed by a piece that echoes the theme but in a more subdued atmosphere of a strolling pulse with Vangelis's usual layered effects. The opening theme is again reprised in the fourth track, and I am hazarding a guess that track six is also a reworking of this theme for piano.

Inbetween tracks three, five, and seven are featured the three `songs' whose lyrics have respectively been written by and are performed by Caroline Lavelle, Stina Nordenstam, and Paul Young. The first (`Come to Me') has shades of `1492' with echoes of its Spanish medieval court. If much of the disc's music so far can be considered typical Vangelis, with the second of the three songs (`Ask the Mountains'), Vangelis steps a little outside of his box with an airy confection that is akin to walking in the stratosphere. Track seven, the third `song' (`Losing Sleep'), is followed by a `typical' Vangelis processional piece that makes me smile because it reminds me of Stevie Wonder `jammin'.

This is an album that is easy on the ear, andante rather than allegro. Arguably at its heart is the series of piano etudes that comprise tracks four, six, and nine. There are no duff tracks but nothing that excels either (except maybe track six and the jammin processional).
on 2 February 2009
Well, once again Vangelis has pulled it off on this CD, but more - he shows us aspects of three other artists that we might never have seen otherwise.

All his "trademark" styles are here , but with the addition of human voices other than Jon Anderson. The choral elements are ethereal and haunting, the theme carries through the early part of the CD and there is nothing about this that wouldn't bathe a willing listener in aural beauty. It's not just his use of "haunting" themes either. Caroline Lavelle is probably better known to many as the accomplished cellist who works with Loreena McKennit, but here she shows us a vocal style and presence that many aspire to and never achieve. Stina Nordenstam is probably not well-known and yet her idiosyncratic vocal here captures her abilities wonderfully. Paul Young had probably not expected his contribution to sound quite like this, yet is is far more moving than many of his more mainstream hits. Vangelis is not merely a great musician...he inspires his collaborators. Oh Yes... and just a touch of the utterly odd - Well Vangelis is Greek - what do you expect!

That said, don't look for innovation or pioneering here, apart from the revellations I mention above.

Very satisfying to those familiar with the big man's work, and for most folk, if this was to be your first Vangelis purchase, it won't be your last!
on 28 November 2010
Well produced and executed, nice to relax to instead of the Xfactor rubbish that manifests in production line 3 rate "music" if you can call it that. This disc is a "must buy"