Colour: Dark Brown/Black|Change
Price:£14.89 - £47.90

on 7 August 2012
I am normally one of the most cynical and skeptical people out there.
I don't believe hype or adverts generally, and know when something seems too good to be true, or a scam.

I am 48 years old, and quite thin on top, with a noticeable bald area about as big as my fist on the crown, although I can still feel there is some hair here, it is very fine. I also have noticeable thinning towards the front of my hair too.

Because of this I keep the style relatively short,( about half inch all over ) and because I am grey on the sides, I do use "Just For Men"- to dye my hair back to the dark brown colour it used to be.

When I saw video ads for this hair fibre stuff on You Tube, where thin on top guys appear to have someone rub this small container of hair fibre product over their heads for about 30 seconds and- Hey Presto, full head of hair, I just thought - special effects, or maybe editing the film backwards so it looks like shaved hair re-appearing or something.

Then a friend of mine told me that he had used Viviscal before and that it did work for him. I couldn't see any bald patch on him but he insisted he had thinning hair that he disguised with hair fibres, so I asked to try a sample.

I must admit, getting the coverage right is not that easy yourself. You have to style your hair how you want it first, and then stand in front of a mirror, with the product in one hand, and another mirror in your other hand to see the back of your head. Once you've mastered this, then you gently shake the container and little flecks of this powder like fibre come out and then attach to your own existing hair by static bonding. Once you have covered up the bald area, you then have to gently pat it with your hand or use a comb with wide teeth to get it to evenly blend in properly, and this I found a bit tricky, as you can disturb the covered spots easily if you are too rough.
It took a while to touch up the bits that were not quite blended properly, but once they were fully covered it looked pretty good. I then gently sprayed some hairspray over my whole hair to seal it down a bit, and it was done.

Now the real amazing thing is it does instantly increase the volume of the little bit of hair you have still got, and covers over the bald bit to look like a full head of hair.

I really couldn't believe how good it looked. Even under close up scrutiny with the mirror right against my scalp and looking under bright light I could only see dark hair. No scalp visible, and it didn't look artificial or powdery like I first thought it might. It has the texture of your normal hair.

I've since worn this stuff at work, and nobody has said a derogatory word or noticed anything odd at all, and my brother and his wife, who are also very cynical, could not detect it in daylight either, and also said it was completely natural looking.

I have tried sleeping with it in, and it does come off a bit on pillows, so I'd recommend you either cover your pillow with paper or something, or shower it off before bed. It does take a bit of rubbing and shampoo to get it off. Perhaps the hairspray makes this harder, but I don't know if it would stay in as well without hairspray, and I haven't tried that yet.
All I know is that with some hairspray to hold it, there has been no worry with gusts of wind or shaking your head, or even light rain removing it. I was a bit worried that this might happen and didn't want to chance any embarrasing accidents. It does seem to stay put during a normal day anyway, but of course you wouldn't chance swimming in it, or going out unprotected in a downpour of heavy rain, but that is just common sense. Would a woman swim or go out in a heavy rainstorm with a full face of makeup on and her hair just done. I think not.

So I think if you are thinning on top - not bald or shaved head as it won't work then, and are looking for something that will cover your visible scalp area realistically with a real hair texture look, then this product is the answer. It isn't hair restoring cream. It won't make you grow any more hair. It is just like a makeup tool to cover up your bald patch.

I believe there are many similar hair fibre products out there. I've also since tried Caboki which is equally good but more expensive than Viviscal. There is also Super Million Hair and Nanogen too, and they all do a similar thing I believe but I haven't tried them all to compare, and Viviscal seems the cheapest option on Amazon at the moment.
on 16 July 2012
Great product, all hair stylists should have it as part of their regular product line. Adequately covers thinning, and now not so self conscious of photos or sitting under bright lights.
on 16 August 2012
I bought this product from a well known supplier first and then bought some more from amazon same colour, brand etc but the one I bought from amazon was nothing like the first. A completely different shade of brown and felt more synthetic on my hair. I now use hair fibres from another brand. They still do the job and are fantastic at covering thinning areas I just prefer the other brand I use to this
on 25 May 2012
this product has made such a difference to my confidence! no longer do I think people are just looking at my scalp instead of the whole of me. So easy to use.
on 3 December 2013
very satisfied with this item and will obviously buy the same again when required,I have tried other products and this is the best.
on 10 July 2012
This stuff is brilliant. If you've got patchy hair, get this. I use it everyday now, it restores confidence. I bought two, so I could have one at my girlfriends house as well as my own.
on 27 June 2012
 Excellent product. Bought especially for going to a family wedding - dont like hats, but dont like thinning hair showing on top, either! Viviscal is perfect, wish it had been generally available sooner. Save it for certain occasions, dont want to use it every day at that price.

Would like to be able to find it on sale in places like Boots and other chemists but have not been successful so far.However, I ordered this product from Amazon on a Sunday afternoon and it arrived by Special Delivery on the Monday morning!!!!
on 15 July 2013
I gave this four stars because it is almost perfect. I like that it doesn't make my hair sticky and it definitely does make it look thicker.
Cons- it can sometimes clump, creating dark patches, however this might be just poor technique on my part. And I would advise going a few shades lighter. I have mid brown hair and I ordered light brown and it is still a little dark. Generally though it is a good product. I would definitely buy it again and would recommend it.
on 17 May 2012
This product is an absolute waste of time. The stuff is like yellow dust and will never, never resemble anything like hair. Don't bother.
on 24 November 2014
Really dark brown. Makes it difficult to apply without making your hair look dirty. They need to make a dark blonde, or make the light brown truly light brown.